Price Hikes

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Apparently Musical Fidelity and SME are hiking their prices due to the falling value of the pound.

Musical Fidelity are putting theirs up by 10% and SME up to a whopping 32%.

I think this is very dubious if these companies are exporting more units than they selling in the UK, as exports will be pulling much more cash in as a result of the beneficial exchange rate.

Think I might need to put in for a pay rise......*shok*

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Apparently Musical Fidelity and SME are hiking their prices due to the falling value of the pound.

I think this is very dubious if these companies are exporting more units than they selling in the UK, as exports will be pulling much more cash in as a result of the beneficial exchange rate.

MF produce their kit in Taiwan so fair enough. Think US Dollars and the fall of the pound. However Brexit is obviously good so I will burned for that. SME I agree is a shocker. Where has that come from?

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Infiniteloop said:

MF produce their kit in Taiwan so fair enough. Think US Dollars and the fall of the pound. However Brexit is obviously good so I will burned for that. SME I agree is a shocker. Where has that come from?

It's on the Oxford Audio website. - I'm a bit upset as I'm actually considering a SME Model 15 with V Arm...

(or was!)...

Gazzip said:
Infiniteloop said:

A recent takeover perhaps. :)

Infiniteloop said:
Gazzip said:
Infiniteloop said:

It's on the Oxford Audio website. - I'm a bit upset as I'm actually considering a SME Model 15 with V Arm...

(or was!)...

Nice deck. You would now be better off buying SME second-hand and looking at the IV rather than the V.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I've not checked the info given above, but 32%? Really? That's not an exchange-rate related price rise, it's opportunistic profiteering.

And, as they are a business, if they can get away with it, good luck to them. I suspect their UK numbers may well be a little lacking this year.....

They're playing in a different game to people like me anyway.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The pound is trading 15% down on the dollar from where it was this time last year, and 20% down against the Euro for the same period.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=USD&view=5Y

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=EUR&view=10Y

Such is the price of Brexit! It may work out long term, I don't know (and nor does anybody who voted to leave, which I did not), but short term this was 100% predictable, foreseen and reported, so we shouldn't really be that surprised. We have a service sector based economy. We are a country that doesn't really make anything anymore, and is reliant on importing the raw materials and components for the few things that we do still make. Any market shift of this nature is obviously going to hurt.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Because of all the price increases Now is a good time to sell????

Yes if you are selling to other EU countries who use the Euro...

2nd hand hifi made in europe.
My amp cost £3400 and now costs £4000 so if i sold on ebay i would get a little more than if the price was still £3400

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Because of all the price increases Now is a good time to sell????

Yes if you are selling to other EU countries who use the Euro...

2nd hand hifi made in europe. My amp cost £3400 and now costs £4000 so if i sold on ebay i would get a little more than if the price was still £3400

Although because everything including food is beginning to cost much more, and as a consequence people are beginning to have less disposable income, you may find that the opposite applies when selling luxury electronics within the UK. Tricky stuff this economics!

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
gel said:
Macbook's Apple.

These are not price hikes that can be avoided by Apple. They are adjustments due to a weak pound. Apple kit is made in the US and/or in countries with a dollar tracking economy. Our pound is relatively worthless at the moment in terms of buying power. You cannot blame Apple for that. Blame the 52% of turkeys who knowingly voted for Christmas! *aggressive*

The ones to really complain about in this instance are the British companies with a British supply chain who are putting up their prices. Now THAT is profiteering, pure and simple.

Samd

Gazzip said:
gel said:
Macbook's Apple.

These are not price hikes that can be avoided by Apple. They are adjustments due to a weak pound. Apple kit is made in the US and/or in countries with a dollar tracking economy. Our pound is relatively worthless at the moment in terms of buying power. You cannot blame Apple for that. Blame the 52% of turkeys who knowingly voted for Christmas! *aggressive*

The ones to really complain about in this instance are the British companies with a British supply chain who are putting up their prices. Now THAT is profiteering, pure and simple.

Ah yes! At last someone who knows the entire electorate are (is?) all turkeys

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Samd said:
Gazzip said:
gel said:
Macbook's Apple.

I was very careful to put the word knowingly in to my statement. Knowingly implies a calculated and considered decision to vote that way, not a vote born out of stupidity. My point is that if you were one of that 52% you could not have missed the warnings coming from notable and reliable economic sources that this was going to happen to exchange rates and prices if the vote was to leave. A situation that played out the day of the result and which has been the exchange rate status quo thereafter. So if you were one of those knowing 52% then please no complaints about where we are today in respect of price hikes for products sourced from, or with supply chains outside of the UK.

Samd

Gazzip said:
Samd said:
Gazzip said:
gel said:
Macbook's Apple.

I was very careful to put the word knowingly in to my statement. Knowingly implies a calculated and considered decision to vote that way, not a vote born out of stupidity. My point is that if you were one of that 52% you could not have missed the warnings coming from notable and reliable economic sources that this was going to happen to exchange rates and prices if the vote was to leave. A situation that played out the day of the result and which has been the exchange rate status quo thereafter. So if you were one of those knowing 52% then please no complaints about where we are today in respect of price hikes for products sourced from, or with supply chains outside of the UK.

Soz Squire but I was just taking the mickey out of your wording i.e. 52% of turkeys - in other words 'everyone is a turkey but 52% of them voted for Christmas'.

Just goes to show that trying to be humorous on a forum is a tad difficult!

I'd have liked to see Apple absorb some of the price fluctuations given their almost obscene profits and cash pile. But, with the economic points made above, one might say they got that way by bullish pricing, which is mostly justified by the quality of the product.

TRENDING THREADS