Price Fixing

Razzler

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
Call me old fashioned but is there definite price fixing in the hi-fi world.

If I am after some B&W 685’s, why is every retailer selling at £379, how does that work? Where is the health competition to benefit the consumer?

Am I missing somthing

A

Anonymous

Because that's B&W's RRP. It's up to you if you want to haggle.

Razzler

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
I understand that, but all companies have RRP, but still there is competition, strange!!!
emotion-12.gif

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Oh ! you HAVE to haggle.... I've never bought anything electrical without haggling, even if it's just to knock a few quid off of something -- if the item was say £200.00 tell them you only have £190.00 and ask them if they could they sell it for that (even ask the manager) it works every time.... if the item is more like £700.00 tell them you only have £665.00 it does work (trust me).

A

Anonymous

The key word is 'Haggle'. They set their stall out.. you use the credit crunch and the smell of reddies to knock 'em down.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
If people are happy to pay £379 then that isn't price fixing. If people aren't then they won't sell. There's plenty of good competition around, and it's hardly a monopoly.

ÿ

Razzler

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi Octopo

After reading your recent post re the Epos M22i speakers, would you recommend these would be a better buy for my Naim than the 685's etc
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I would say yes, many would say no. I can't really say generally you should try and listen to both of them with the Naim if you can.

A

Anonymous

I like price fixing, hahaha, really, price fixing gets rid of tyre kickers and time waters. Products that are more "price fixed" hold their second hand value as well, well done to B&W for sticking firm.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
As I said, the only way products can keep their price in a competitive market is by being a brand that is admired, with sound quality to match otherwise it doesn't work.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

And you notice what brands are admired? Brands that don't allow discounting, they value their products, box shifters devalue a brands worth.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Sorry Silly - I can't agree with this. Cambridge Audio are sold exclusively by one of the biggest hifi box shifters and yet the secondhand value of their kit seems to stay high. I had a 6-year old A5 amp, that went for 60% of the current new retail value about 6 months ago, and other CA stuff seems to hold it's value.

Don't get me wrong, Naim and similar gear does hold it's value well, but I think that's down to reviews in the popular media (that reflect the quality of the kit itself) rather than price fixing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts