Preferred Integrated Amplifier - NVA / Exposure / Audiolab / Creek

westerniser

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Hello all!

I was wondering which integrated amplifier(s) you guys would recommend out of these lesser known / smaller companies? I really like the simple appearance of them, and the prices are about right: -

- NVA AP70 or AP80

- Exposure 3010s2

- Creek 5350

- Audiolab 8200a

I listen to a wide range of music, so it needs to be versatile. I can't demo most of these in store but could always return by post if I buy online. I thought about buying a couple of amps and taking a hit on the postage, so it won't be too costly to properly try them.

So, please can you recommend your favourite here?

Thanks in advance!

T

the record spot

Not so sure that Audiolab are exactly smaller or lesser known, while Exposure and Creek have a decent pedigree too. NVA is probably the odd one out, but never heard their equipment. I did hear the Exposure 3010s2 about a year or so ago and was impressed. Very simple uncluttered amp, nice sound, not quite up there with a Lemma Pulse II or Harman HK990, but none the worse for that.

westerniser said:
Hello all!

I was wondering which integrated amplifier(s) you guys would recommend out of these lesser known / smaller companies? I really like the simple appearance of them, and the prices are about right: -

- NVA AP70 or AP80

- Exposure 3010s2

- Creek 5350

- Audiolab 8200a

I listen to a wide range of music, so it needs to be versatile. I can't demo most of these in store but could always return by post if I buy online. I thought about buying a couple of amps and taking a hit on the postage, so it won't be too costly to properly try them.

So, please can you recommend your favourite here?

Thanks in advance!

Pretty much as RS. Not heard NVA stuff and Audiolab is owned by IAG http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audiolab.

Creek and Exposure are independent companies (unless things have changed over recent months), but have a fine back catalogue of equipment.

Although not heard the 3010, smaller sibling is a very fine amp. To my mind, and based on personal experience of the Evo2, Creek would be a leader out of the ones you've chosen. Can't comment on the new Audiolab amp. Only heard the CDP.

westerniser

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Just reading up on the NVA AP80 and AP70. They seem to be picking up some good reviews, although it's hard to find a wealth of information on them. I guess most people on this forum haven't heard these amps, would be great to find someone who has!

T

the record spot

NVA (or Nene Valley Audio) are on Ebay, but I think have their own website too, although it may just link to the Ebay webstore). They have their followers, but are a small, possibly one or two person firm. worth giving them a ring though; they may have a dem unit they can send out.

westerniser

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes, similar to that, they offer a returns option on all products, which is a major plus point! I suppose the flexibility to try at home far outweighs the return courier cost, I guess around £20 or so.

T

the record spot

They're a mail order firm, so they have to offer this option really. Tricky to *** down to Peterborough (or nearby presumably) if you're at the other end of the country! Good to know though and worth the piece of mind I think.

A

Anonymous

Can't comment on te Creek or Audioloab.

Have had Farlow-era exposure stuff and tried it against the newer gear. In my experience a XX or XXV from the previous generation will trounce the newer Exposures.

I've owned a few of NVA's pre and power amps although not the integrateds. In my experience NVA amps are absolutely superb, competing with several times the price, if they suit your speakers. I tried them with three pairs of speakers - two were great, one less so. However, as you say - money back offer makes them worth a go.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Lots of information on NVA on the Hi-fi Subjectivist forum.

If you wished, you could host a budget integrated amplifier bake-off. I'd be happy to bring along my old Creek CAS4040 if you live near West Yorkshire to see how it compares to the newer amps.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Lots of information on NVA on the Hi-fi Subjectivist forum.

If you wished, you could host a budget integrated amplifier bake-off. I'd be happy to bring along my old Creek CAS4040 if you live near West Yorkshire to see how it compares to the newer amps.

westerniser

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
So, the NVA AP 70 arrived.

It's only a few days old and apparently needs to settle in.

However, the improvement over the audiolab 8200a is noticeable. The vocals and details really jump out, it sounds fantastic. The warmth and bass sounds about the same to me, but really noticing the NVA come to life with everything else.

So far, so good!

A

Anonymous

rbrierle said:
Can't comment on te Creek or Audioloab.

Have had Farlow-era exposure stuff and tried it against the newer gear. In my experience a XX or XXV from the previous generation will trounce the newer Exposures.

I've owned a few of NVA's pre and power amps although not the integrateds. In my experience NVA amps are absolutely superb, competing with several times the price, if they suit your speakers. I tried them with three pairs of speakers - two were great, one less so. However, as you say - money back offer makes them worth a go.

Have an Exposure XXV myself, brilliant amp. The only downside is it can be partial to ground loops if not setup well. Not tried NVA amps, but am using some of his speaker cables, which I can't fault. Do bear in mind with some of these amps (the NVA's and early Exposure's), speaker cable choice is important, don't use anything with high capacitance rating (generally Litz style or cat5e braid type stuff), as it can damage the amp.

The other amp that others often choose with a similar sound is the Densen Beat 100. Not tried it myself, but I've heard many a good report on it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts