Pre/Power or Integrated Amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I would like some advice, which can basically be summed up like this – Does a pre/power amp combo make a significant difference over an integrated amp?

I have a modern integrated Marantz amp (PM7003 if it matters) which allows itself to be used as both a pre or power amp, when a corresponding amp is connected. I’ve upgraded everything else in my system recently and wonder whether, rather than spending somewhere in the region of £750 for the next level up in amplifiers, would it be a better idea to go down the pre/power amp route?

Thoughts? Advice? Comments?

And should there be a lengthy and involving thread already dealing with exactly this issue, I’ll be glad to be redirected there!

Thanks!

Jumping Jack

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
If you can use the PM7003 in a bi-amp setup with an additional power-amplifier, I would say that's the way you should go. I'm doing the same thing with a Roksan Caspian M2 integrated amp for the tweeters and a Caspian M1 poweramp for the low-end...

ANWKLO

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Jumping Jack said:
If you can use the PM7003 in a bi-amp setup with an additional power-amplifier, I would say that's the way you should go. I'm doing the same thing with a Roksan Caspian M2 integrated amp for the tweeters and a Caspian M1 poweramp for the low-end...

The sound characters of M2 and M1 are little bit different. Are they good matching of bi-amp? Please advise the advantages of bi-amp of your Roksan system
smiley-smile.gif

Jumping Jack

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Did you compare the M1 and the M2 power amplifier? I haven't yet, there isn't a dealer in Belgium...

I'm considering of getting a M2 and selling the M1...

But I can't say it's a bad match now, by adding the M1 amplifier, the speakers receive twice the power and that affects not only the low end (although this is the part that benefits the most) but also the mid's and the high. The stage becomes a bit wider and deeper and in general it sounds "easier", if you know what I mean?

ANWKLO

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Jumping Jack said:
Did you compare the M1 and the M2 power amplifier? I haven't yet, there isn't a dealer in Belgium...

But I can't say it's a bad match now, by adding the M1 amplifier, the speakers receive twice the power and that affects not only the low end (although this is the part that benefits the most) but also the mid's and the high. The stage becomes a bit wider and deeper and in general it sounds "easier", if you know what I mean?

I have heard the M2 integrated amp but have not heard the M1 power amp. I have the M1 integrated amp and consider adding an M1 / M2 power amp for bi-amping. However, the M1 power amp is out of stock locally in Hong Kong.

I do feel what you have described of your bi-amp system. BTW, what speakers are your Roksan driving?

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Jumping Jack said:

I don't know where you live but Alpha in Antwerp sell Roksan.

Jumping Jack

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
@ANWKLO:
PMC Fb1i Signature edition.

@Roby: Sammy of Alpha only has a Kandy-amp. I bought my gear in holland, but I currently haven't got the time or budget to audition for a new amp (unless a great offer comes by).

Reggie Mental

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
"Does a pre/power amp combo make a significant difference over an integrated amp?"

Not in my experience. The only difference in a no vinyl system is the integrated has the volume and source switching built in, and there's no disadvantage in doing that.

A

Anonymous

@Jumping Jack - What were the benefits/differences you found?

@Reggie Mental - Did you detect no difference whatsoever, or were there only incremental changes that were neither better or worse but just 'different'? And what systems were you using if you don't mind me asking?

Jumping Jack

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there's a lot of difference between a pre/power combination and an integrated amp as such. Of course this depends on the amplifiers used...

The biggest improvement imo is going bi-amp. Like I said, in my situation: the speakers receive twice the power and that affects not only the low end (although this is the part that benefits the most) but also the mid's and the high. The stage becomes a bit wider and deeper and in general it sounds "easier".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts