Pre-outs - any negative effect on sky/blu ray sound?

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Of course, if you have an AV amplifer with pre-outs and connect it to a hifi amp hooked up to your front L + R speakers it will mean your music performance is maximised if you have a cd player etc plugged into your hifi amp.

But when using your av amp when watching a blu ray or sky or whatever, will there be any negative effects by having those front L + R speakers hooked up to the hifi amp? Does the hifi amp continue to amplify the fronts, leaving the AV amp to power the other speakers? Does this detract anything from the sound compared to your AV amp powering all the speakers?

Just curious!

Cheers

Simon

A

Anonymous

kingnothing83:
Does the hifi amp continue to amplify the fronts, leaving the AV amp to power the other speakers?

ÿ

Yesÿ

kingnothing83:ÿ

Does this detract anything from the sound compared to your AV amp powering all the speakers?

Can do, you can get interference on the cables linked between the two amps. Also if you don't have a power amp function on the 2 channel amp it falls on you to judge the correct volume for the front 2 speakers (which alternatively could be a good thing as doing this through the receivers menus can be fiddly).

Edit: Also if the 2 channel is of much higher quality or has a completely different sound than the receiver you can notice the difference when sound pans across the front 3 speakers.ÿ

ÿ

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!

So presumably you can limit problems by getting a good set of cables? I have a chord crimson phono cable connecting my dac (good quality optical from squeezebox to dac) to my 2 channel amp. Perhaps another chord crimson connecting the AV amp to the 2 channel amp would be the way to go

cheers

A

Anonymous

I have VDH The Bay (well shielded) connecting my receiver and 2 channel but it runs straight past to Tacimas at the moment and I pick up interference. I'm going to drill some holes through my cabinet to get around this problem though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts