Pre Amp + Power Amp - mix n match brands

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi There,

Has anyone used a pre and power amp combo using different manufacturers for each i.e. Primare Pre Amp & Roksan Power Amp?

Is it the done thing?

Is there anyone out there using such an arrangement?

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I have had a Quad 44 pre amp with Cyrus power amps for about a year after using the matching Cyrus pre amp for several years. The system sounds very good to me.

Changing to a Quad power amp in the next week or so to see if I prefer it.

I don't think mixing and matching is necessarily bad but obvious issues could be aesthetics and tonal matching.

A

Anonymous

It is like a marriage, sometimes it works great, sometimes it fails:)

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Musical Fidelity A1 FBP paired with a Lyngdorf SDA2175 Power. Balanced with custom made Pure Silver XLR.

Works very well, the Lyngdorf and the Audiovectors = :dance:

Most people use the same manfacturer because items are designed to work together / be esthetically pleasing on the eye but there is no reason why you have to.

Better sonics can often be had by the 'mix and match' approach.

I'm heading in the direction (opposite to most) to getting a very low noise level solid-state preamp and a valve power amp. These will be, however, from the same manufacturer.

In the end you just have to find something pleasing to the ear (yours that is!)

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the reply guys. Have WHF ever published an article on this approach - I'm not fussed by hi if esthetics, I just want a good sound. There is plenty written about amp & cd combos - each from a different brand - but not much on pre and power combos.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Just to reinforce what has already been said, it really just depends. Obviously pre and power amps by the same manufacture are build with each other in mind. That said I find many manufactures tend to excel in one area more than the other, finding synergy between varying brands can be very rewarding.

I went for a SS power amp with plenty of grunt, well made and at a decent price in the from of a Quad 909 and then paired it with a Croft Acoustics valve pre-amp and am very, very happy with the results.

Have you tried your M-DAC in pre-amp mode? Many users report good results. I’ve heard those arguing for and against a separate pre-amp plus M-DAC so would be interested to hear any findings you may have.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi bluedroog - using the MDAC as a preamp is exactly the route I've been thinking about. I was thinking of pair the Roksan Caspian M2 Power amp with the MDAC or maybe 2 Audiolab mono power amps. Like you I have heard mixed reviews - guess I'll have to set up some auditions.

A

Anonymous

shooter said:
Ocean37 said:
It is like a marriage, sometimes it works great, sometimes it fails:)

+1

Lots of folk like to use valve pre amp and solid state power/mono amps, bet of both worlds. 8

Certainly:) Although I have it the other way around now, pre amp solid state and poweramp valves:) Works great for me!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts