Praise and Shame - rate your CDs here.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
With the exception of 'Tres Hombre' and 'Fandango' which have since been re-mastered from the original mix, a lot of ZZ Top's old albums are still only available on CD with a horrendous eighties tinny mix. Simply awful.

Another travesty is Gong's 'Flying Teapot' album; ridiculous legal wranglings have prevented the original mix from ever appearing on CD, despite contrary claims from some non-UK record companies.

And then Zappa in his later years, re-recorded parts and re-mastered (wiping the originals in the process) many of his early recordings; he was skilled in how he did it, but for the purists they were never as good.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
The Science Fiction Album, Silva Screen Records.

4 ½ hours of some of the best sci-fi tracks ever.

I skip a few tracks when playing but only because I rarely have that long to listen in one session!

A few really good tracks, easily over an hours worth of some really well recorded music.

Well, at least I think its well recorded! It sounds good!

I think I paid £9.99 for it a few yeas ago expecting it to be pretty poor.

A VERY nice surprise!

A

Anonymous

Top Quality:

1.) Herbie Hancock - Projects

2.) Nitin Sawhney - Beyond Skin

3.) Stateless - Matilda

4.) Spokes - Everyone I Ever Met

5.) Shpongle - Ineffable Mysteries From Shpongleland

Worst Quality

1.) MGMT - Oracular Spectacular (Can't listen to it it's that bad!)

SteveR750

One of the best recent CDs I have bought has to be Ballad of John Henry - Joe Bonamassa. I swear one of the guitar tracks is actually outside of the speaker / sofa triangle, and by some feet too! It's well produced for a modern rock album, plenty of dynamics and a nice open punchy tonal balance.

One track I use for demos (and I like it anyway) is Simply Red's version of The Air That I Breathe, some very low organ notes in there to sake the floor with. That and Nelly Furtado's Say It Right if you want to see how much extension s physicaly possible for your bass driver.

I think the most sonically pleasing album I own is the 24/96 of Rumours, the improvement over the original CD remastered version is something.

Didn't want to start a fresh thread, so I'm trying to revitalise this one.

Purchsed some really fabulous CDs over the past month:

'Led Zeppelin II' and 'Magnifique' The Best of Chic - HMV purchase

Lightning Seeds - 'Jollification'; 'We Got The Funk' Disco classics (on the PULSE label) - Charity Shop

Sparks 'Indiscreet'; The Tea Party 'Spendor Solis' - Ebay

All very different, all sound cracking.

T

the record spot

Pretty much anything Barry Diament ever did in mastering, so you can look out most of the old Atlantic CDs and pretty much buy with confidence. See also Joe Gastwirt.

Worst example I can think of is probably Styx original "Pieces of Eight" mastered by Cinram Logistics. Beyond awful and that's nothing to do with the music!

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Purity ring - shrines. Beautiful album and very well recorded. First time I've ever bought an album on the back of hearing it playing as bgm in hmv

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Mine are all classical:

1) Dowland Complete Lute Music - Nigel North on Naxos (a really good test of a hifi - can it handle a quiet solo instrument. This was one of the reasons I bought KEF Q500s rather than MA BX5s. On the KEFs you were in the room with the man.)

2) Victoria Sacred Works - Ensemble Plus Ultra on Archiv - Just lovely music (if you like 16th century polyphony!).

3) Bach Motets - Monteverdi Choir, Gardiner on SDG - Wonderfully atmospheric live recording from St Johns Smith Square

4) Le Belle Imagini - Magdalena Kozena on DG - A voice to make your heart stop

5) Tallis Complete Works - Chapelle Du Roi om Choral Classics - A great bargain, 10 CDs plus a CD ROM for £20, great performances too.

It has been a very good year!

Chris

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Mine are all classical:

1) Dowland Complete Lute Music - Nigel North on Naxos (a really good test of a hifi - can it handle a quiet solo instrument. This was one of the reasons I bought KEF Q500s rather than MA BX5s. On the KEFs you were in the room with the man.)

2) Victoria Sacred Works - Ensemble Plus Ultra on Archiv - Just lovely music (if you like 16th century polyphony!).

3) Bach Motets - Monteverdi Choir, Gardiner on SDG - Wonderfully atmospheric live recording from St Johns Smith Square

4) Le Belle Imagini - Magdalena Kozena on DG - A voice to make your heart stop

5) Tallis Complete Works - Chapelle Du Roi om Choral Classics - A great bargain, 10 CDs plus a CD ROM for £20, great performances too.

It has been a very good year!

Chris

Can you recommend a classical CD for me to try out?

A introduction in classical if you like.......something thats very well recorded and will sound nice on my Rega set up!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have heard the Kylie abbey road sessions is quite good and well produced, I own none of her music but heard this is really good for non Kylie fans too! Any confirm if the mastering is any good?

T

the record spot

stevebrock said:
Can you recommend a classical CD for me to try out?

A introduction in classical if you like.......something thats very well recorded and will sound nice on my Rega set up!

See if you can clap hands on Resphigi's Pines of Rome on Naxos, great recording, especially the last piece which represents the return of the Roman army to Rome, marching up the Appian Way. Magnificent piece.

A

Anonymous

Steve, try this:

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Symphonies-Pastoral-Ludwig-van/dp/B000001GJP/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1354698845&sr=8-10&keywords=beethoven+karajan

It's Beethoven's 5. Symphony - very well known, you may even have heard it in movies without knowing what it was.

This is a good recording of it with Karajan conducting, whom many people think very highly of.

Best,

Henrik

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
stevebrock said:
I have heard the Kylie abbey road sessions is quite good and well produced, I own none of her music but heard this is really good for non Kylie fans too! Any confirm if the mastering is any good?

ive just ordered it. It's not on Spotify.

My last CD purchase was about 6 months ago. A couple of Bad Religion CDs secondhand that cost a couple of quid including P&P.

Re. the thread, I've always been pretty dissatisfied with Motörhead CDs, although. THE WORLD IS YOURS is better.

richardw42 said:
stevebrock said:

Re. the thread, I've always been pretty dissatisfied with Motörhead CDs, although. THE WORLD IS YOURS is better.

Some greatest hits or best of... type albums, especially for artists that've endured a long career - changing labels several times - I find the quality is so mixed.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys one of my best sounding CDs are

depeche mode - music for the masses

the smiths - strangeways here we come

the cranberries - everyone else is doing it

A

Anonymous

Worst Quality

1.) MGMT - Oracular Spectacular (Can't listen to it it's that bad!)

[/quote]

got it on now, what don't you like about it?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Just bought "Just a little lovin'" by Shelby Lynne. I had heard it on Spotify before, but it sounds even more impressive now. The songs are sweet, and it is gorgeously recorded, mixed and mastered. And for less than 9 €, it's a no-brainer to me :exmark:

T

the record spot

richardw42 said:

The ones on Sanctuary aren't that great. The earlier releases on Castle or EMI are nearer the original analogue pressings, if not the same tape and sound much better; I have Overkill, Bomber, AoS, NSTH and possibly Iron First, and they're excellent (IMO). You'll find them in secondhand shops from time to time or the 'bay.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts