Rekindling vinyl love... but need a decent turntable on a budget first!

Laz69

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, new member here, so looking for some sound advice from more knowledgeable people!

I've always been a lover of vinyl. Started back in the late 80s and ended up becoming very much a vinyl junkie all through my 20s. Unfortunately, my circumstances took a bit of a hit many years ago and i had to sell all the vinyl and my turntable to keep my head above water. Broke my heart that did.

Anyways, i've been starting to pick up various LPs again much due to the resurgeance of good quality heavy psych music that i have a love for. Luckily, the bands and LP record labels of said music share a similar love for vinyl, so much so that most releases have been getting the heavy duty vinyl and expansive packaging they deserve. As a result, i'm looking for a good quality turntable to listen to them on.

Now i'm by no means flush with cash, but have been trying to find a good vintage turntable that, with a little love and a decent needle/cartridge, will make these records shine like they are supposed to.

In the past i've had pioneer, technics and various unbranded/custom turntables all which i was more than happy with so i'm looking for something similar. I've been following a few on eBay over the last few weeks, but they've normally went beyond my budget or have had too many things wrong with them, that it would be beyond my repair skills.

I've been particularly keen on the following models and have read decent things about most (i'm by no means an expert... just been impressed with what i've read/heard)

Pioneer

PL-A45D

PL12D

PL117D

Garrard

SP25

Technics

SL-BD22

SL-BD20D

So i guess i'm looking for some advice on buying these things... or maybe some other recommendations to look out for. There are several of the models above currently on eBay and have been plenty in the past too, so i have an idea of what they go for and am happy that they'll fall within my budget (approx £100). I'm not interested in these reissued Crosley things which i have heard are really shitting and "plastic-y" and i've had a USB tunrtable in the past which i just hated.

Also of interest would be any websites or sellers of decent turntables, especially older models which have been refurbished. Most hi-fi places now will sell top end turntables with their entry level units typically the Pro-ject ones. If i could i'd love one of these, but just can't justify it right now.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Pass on some experience of the models listed above? Suggest some good resellers?

Any help/info would be very much appreciated.

Laz

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Laz69 said:
Hi all, new member here, so looking for some sound advice from more knowledgeable people!

I've always been a lover of vinyl. Started back in the late 80s and ended up becoming very much a vinyl junkie all through my 20s. Unfortunately, my circumstances took a bit of a hit many years ago and i had to sell all the vinyl and my turntable to keep my head above water. Broke my heart that did.

Anyways, i've been starting to pick up various LPs again much due to the resurgeance of good quality heavy psych music that i have a love for. Luckily, the bands and LP record labels of said music share a similar love for vinyl, so much so that most releases have been getting the heavy duty vinyl and expansive packaging they deserve. As a result, i'm looking for a good quality turntable to listen to them on.

Now i'm by no means flush with cash, but have been trying to find a good vintage turntable that, with a little love and a decent needle/cartridge, will make these records shine like they are supposed to.

In the past i've had pioneer, technics and various unbranded/custom turntables all which i was more than happy with so i'm looking for something similar. I've been following a few on eBay over the last few weeks, but they've normally went beyond my budget or have had too many things wrong with them, that it would be beyond my repair skills.

I've been particularly keen on the following models and have read decent things about most (i'm by no means an expert... just been impressed with what i've read/heard)

Pioneer

PL-A45D

PL12D

PL117D

Garrard

SP25

Technics

SL-BD22

SL-BD20D

So i guess i'm looking for some advice on buying these things... or maybe some other recommendations to look out for. There are several of the models above currently on eBay and have been plenty in the past too, so i have an idea of what they go for and am happy that they'll fall within my budget (approx £100). I'm not interested in these reissued Crosley things which i have heard are really shitting and "plastic-y" and i've had a USB tunrtable in the past which i just hated.

Also of interest would be any websites or sellers of decent turntables, especially older models which have been refurbished. Most hi-fi places now will sell top end turntables with their entry level units typically the Pro-ject ones. If i could i'd love one of these, but just can't justify it right now.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Pass on some experience of the models listed above? Suggest some good resellers?

Any help/info would be very much appreciated.

Laz

A good quality turntable for £100 eh? I always recommend Revolver turntables at that sort of price; they sound very good and nothing much goes wrong with them-maybe a new belt which you can get off ebay. Put an Audio Technica at95e cartridge in or a Nagaoka if you want to spend a bit more and they make, erm, sweet music. There'are currently 3 on ebay: this looks good for £75:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revolver-Turntable-Excellent-Condition-/400704741282?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item5d4bdd1fa2

Just seen this:

This listing is for the turntable only (the arm and cartridge have been listed separately).

Oh well. Maybe worth an offer.

There's a few people watching it by the way.

Laz69

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks very much. Revolver was not a brand i was familiar with. Looks like the seller of that one had a higher end arm/cartridge thats he's trying to get some cash for. I'll keep my eyes on this one and see how it goes...

Anyone any thoughts on the Pioneer PL12D turntable? Good/bad? I found one in near immaculate condition on Gumtree that is very reasonably priced. Buyer has been informative and helpful, but has a vested interest in selling it obviously. Are they any good?

Similarly, one of the models i listed above is also due to end on eBay tomorrow. Its a Pioneer PL117D and looks like its been well looked after too. Needs a carttridge and stylus, but i don't mind getting those if the base unit is solid and reliable. Again, any good?

Hi Laz welcome to the forum.

There are a few old classics in your list of turntables, and a few I've never heard of.

The PL12D is a classic that sold in huge numbers, I do not know about the PL117D.

There are a few items to note here and that is buying fragile turntables from eBay is not recommended (better if you can collect).

The age of these turntables means there is more likely to go wrong with them and any cartridges fitted are likely to be in bad condition, so you might have to factor in the cost of a new cartridge with any purchase.

I would be more prone to look at slightly more modern (and simpler) decks like the Rega Planar 2 (of which there are several on eBay within your budget).

Have fun. :)

Welcome from me too.

Yes, the Pioneer PL-12D is the only one I'd consider now, but they need experience to gauge a genuine one from a wreck. Garrard's SP5 was ghastly even when brand new! From ebay, I might consider a PL12 from a dealer or top hifi seller who would guarantee it worked, but most old TTs are a nightmare to fix. I'd love to resurrect my old Dual CS-601 but finding an expert and not spending £300 to get a tt worth £150 is a problem!

I concur, that a more recent Rega or Pro-ject is a much safer route, and better results too.

Laz69

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I'll have a look into those Rega ones. Thanks for the suggestions.

I spoke to one of the sellers re: his PL12D and he assured me it was in excellent condition. He's sold a few TTs via eBay and always makes sure they are well packaged and all have arrived safely, so i'm cool with his ability to ensure it is packaged well. His example looks immaculate and and he seemed to know in detail about it. I got the impression he knows his way around them. He also offered me his email address/mobile no in case there were any issues with it after i bought it which reassured me too. Obviously, the cynics amongst us would still be wary, but there is very few good turntables come along near me that i imagine i could be waiting a while to get one!

Hmmm... things are clearer... just a little more out my reach now!

Laz69 said:
I'll have a look into those Rega ones. Thanks for the suggestions.

I spoke to one of the sellers re: his PL12D and he assured me it was in excellent condition. He's sold a few TTs via eBay and always makes sure they are well packaged and all have arrived safely, so i'm cool with his ability to ensure it is packaged well. His example looks immaculate and and he seemed to know in detail about it. I got the impression he knows his way around them. He also offered me his email address/mobile no in case there were any issues with it after i bought it which reassured me too. Obviously, the cynics amongst us would still be wary, but there is very few good turntables come along near me that i imagine i could be waiting a while to get one!

Hmmm... things are clearer... just a little more out my reach now!

If you feel confident with the dealer then the PL12D is the one to go for. It is worth a try by the sound of it. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts