Practical?

Are you? I'm not particularly. I can wield a paintbrush with competence (dad used to do decorating as a 2nd job during the school holidays and I helped), and I'm OK with changing a socket or light switch. But dad was so fearsomely practical that I think I held off trying, and now he can't be relied upon I find myself having to step outside the comfort zone.

We're having a party soon for our 30th anniversary*, and the garden looked pretty tatty in part - the cement between the patio stones had crumbled and in no small part been worn away. I bit the bullet and did that myself - so feeling pretty pleased with having added a new (albeit pretty basic) skill to my limited set.

*Quite why I couldn't do this for our benefit before, I have no explanation for...

Reactions: WayneKerr

Gray

I'm OK with changing a socket or light switch.
That makes you more practical than many.

But some people do seem to be able to turn their hand to anything.

The water company have advised that my single-person household is using the equivalent of 45 baths a week.
Their quote of £2,065.51 to fit a new supply pipe has made me think about getting practical and tracing / bridging the leak.
How hard can it be?
(I've got City & Guilds in electronic fault finding - but that didn't involve digging up my front garden ☹️).

WayneKerr

DIY - Tend to be a dab hand at decorating, but hate doing glossing/top coat. Can do medium difficulty plumbing and domestic electrics. Tiling, plastering, brickwork, carpentry and medium difficulty car mechanics. can turn my hand to most things, sometimes turns out well, sometimes wish I'd got a professional in. I like cutting grass but hate gardening :)

What I have done over the years is amassed a large collection of hand and power tools, if I need something for a job I purchase it so if I need to do a similar job I've already got the tools.

Reactions: 12th Monkey

WayneKerr

We're having a party soon for our 30th anniversary*, and the garden looked pretty tatty in part - the cement between the patio stones had crumbled and in no small part been worn away. I bit the bullet and did that myself - so feeling pretty pleased with having added a new (albeit pretty basic) skill to my limited set.

*Quite why I couldn't do this for our benefit before, I have no explanation for...
Currently re-pointing some brickwork on the house before laying a patio... did have decking but over the years it rotted so going with something longer lasting. Must admit I pick and choose my days, can't do too much at the moment as I don't like hot weather - I'm fair-skinned being an ex ginger/red-head, (now either white where there are productive follicles or bald where they are not). :)

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS