powerline adapter - wireless or not

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
I am in the process of installing a Billion 7800 N Wireless Router/Modem and am looking to buy a pair of Powerline Adapters.

I cannot fathom whether the Wired or Wireless adapter is likely to secure a better connection.

Any help appreciated.

thanks

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
good point! Trying to stream HD from internet into Sony TV. Stuff like Love Film online. Then other content which is not so HD - You tube, Catch up TV etc.

The computer and internet connection are in the office upstairs and the TV is in the lounge. Not thick walls, but a couple to get through for wireless from the office.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
thanks any preference or are they all a muchness?

Have been looking at Netgear, Belkin, Billion. The Belkin boasts of 1gb speeds. Not sure this is ever realised, or likely to be?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
jcshutts:
thanks any preference or are they all a muchness?

Have been looking at Netgear, Belkin, Billion. The Belkin boasts of 1gb speeds. Not sure this is ever realised, or likely to be?

It's unlikely any of your playback equipment can manage gigabit but it's always useful to have, most NAS's can do it and you can get cheap gigabit cards for a PC if it doesn't already have it. Whether you actually get 1Gb/s isn't the point, it should be much quicker than 100Mb/s.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
ok, that just got technical!

How do I check my PC? Also which NAS? I have looked on line and everything seems to stop at 200 Mbps?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
You'd have to look at the properties for the network card for the PC, start at the control panel work through the network connection properties.

I'd be surprised to see a NAS say it has a 200Mbps connection, standard chipsets are usually 100Mbs or 1Gbps.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
looking now. I have the properties open on the Realtek PCIe GBe Family Controller and trying to find the speed. I have also found the NAS thank you

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:jcshutts:looking now. I have the properties open on the Realtek PCIe GBe Bingo...

and so the light came on for me.....

just working on the NAS adapters next.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts