Power supply PSX-R for Cyrus CD worth getting or not ?

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Will attaching a PSX-R benefit the perfromance of the Cyrus CDXT SE+(2) ? Will it make a noticable difference/improvent to the sound and music from the CD played ? Is it really worth the investment ?

From past experience I would have to say yes. However the 'improvement' can be quite subjective and only you can say whether or not it is worth it financially.

Might I suggest you try to find a cheap one on Ebay, try it, and if you don't like it just flog it on.

BronC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
+1

PSX-R's have been around for a long time. There is a ready market for them on e-bay. They hold their value.

I have two - one for the CD and one for my DAC-XP+. When I first got them I thought they made a bit of a difference - but after a few weeks I switched them off and the reduction in Quality was noticeable.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
satycool said:
Will attaching a PSX-R benefit the perfromance of the Cyrus CDXT SE+(2) ? Will it make a noticable difference/improvent to the sound and music from the CD played ? Is it really worth the investment ?

If an additional PSU is needed to get the best out of your Cyrus, you have to ask yourself why the manufacturer didn't fit one that does the job properly in the first place.

I'm sure that if you just spent hundreds of pounds on a new PSU, you'd be expecting an improvement.

My advice would be to borrow one on a 'try before buy' basis and check it out very carefully.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmm! I wish the answer was as simple as black and white. Seems to be a grey area at moment as if they do or do not improve the sound ?

SteveR750

In my experience of Cyrsu, bearing in mind I'm no fanboi is that adding a PSX to te CD player made a big difference. Improves the monoblocs too, but by then you're into stupid money territory competing against some extremely competent gear.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I would suggest a demo/audition, just to give you peace of mind and maybe also consider a competent piece of equipment that doesn't need extra bits added to make it work properly.

In addition, SteveR750 is right in saying that adding more bits to the transport is going to push the price into the realms of supposedly much better equipment.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi, been a while but have finally recently bought 2 Cyrus used PSX-R's. Got a lucky fantastic deal on a pair of 2nd hand, ex-demo models. Am wondering what combo will work the best using B&W PM1 bookshelf speakers which are used with ex-demo CD XTSE2, DAC XP+, Streamline X, 200 Monobox (x2) - all can be used with the PSX... I was thinking adding them to the Monobox's guessing it will give a better sound ? Is this the best option ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts