Power Spike and Dip Protection

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm going to be buying a new LCD tv and I plan to spend quite a bit of money on one. My concern is that I live in the Channel Islands and it is a sad fact that the mains supply fluctuates below and above the standard 240v norm. Spending a lot of money on a tv only to find it's going to go wrong due to the extra load or lack there of, is not my idea of fun.

Does anyone know if there are systems out there that can deal with spikes and dips in the power supply, as most just seem to be just geared towards surges

Your help would be most appreciated

cstanwhf

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
You can maybe get a UPS with AVR function. This way, your AC output from the UPS will be stable. And you do not have to worry about the fluctuations in the voltage and spikes.

A

Anonymous

It depends what you want to achieve. A reasonably priced UPS will keep a LCD running for a few minutes, but will not ensure continued viewing during blackouts or brownouts. You can of course buy a professional UPS that can keep a server running for several hours, but it will cost more than the screen itself and they need large batteries. The real point of an AV UPS is to keep the cooling fan of a projector whirring so that the expensive bulb cools in a controlled way during the power loss. The cost of the UPS then needs to be weighed against the cost of the bulb. You may want to calculate the cost of exposure, that is the percentage chance of a blackout occuring multiplied by the cost of replacing a bulb. If that cost approaches or is higher than the cost of the UPS then it is worth thinking about.

TRENDING THREADS