Power Ratings

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As a bit of novice can someone tell me why some systems state power ratings as say 2x30 and other just give a single figure i.e 50 watts. In these examples which has the most power?

Cheers

T

the record spot

When they're talking in these terms, the 50 watts refers to 50wpc, so all being equal, the higher watt amp is the more powerful. However, pair the 50 watter up to speakers which are less sensitive and need more power, while the 30 watter hooks up to a pair which have a high sensitivity - thus making it an easier box to drive - then the lower powered amp can sound the louder.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
and, sadly, an amps wattage doesn't tell you how well it will control a speaker, which could have a huge impact on the sound from that speaker.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys, how do I tell how sensitive or difficult to power a speaker is?

santacruz:Thanks guys, how do I tell how sensitive or difficult to power a speaker is?

Look at a speaker spec and it will give you decibels or db. For instance, my RS6s are quoted at 91db and are generally better for low-powered amps, whereas Dyns and ATC are typically around 84/85 db, better suited to an amp with higher power rating and/or stronger current.

Andrew Everard:Not to mention the fact that speakers with lower nominal impedance, or an impedance varying wildly with frequency, will be harder to drive.

That's about as technical as I get. I am one of the "If it sounds really good then hang the jargon" brigade...
emotion-5.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Even though more efficient speakers are better for lower powered amplifiers, larger speakers (especially those with multiple drivers) need more control. There are numerous variables involved, so a set of rules cant really be set out, just guidelines.

FrankHarveyHiFi:Even though more efficient speakers are better for lower powered amplifiers, larger speakers (especially those with multiple drivers) need more control. There are numerous variables involved, so a set of rules cant really be set out, just guidelines.

That's true for medium or high volume levels, but not for playing at min.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts