Power hungry!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Yeah Bitcoin mining requires a crazy amount of electric. Iceland has become a popular place for bitcoin mining due to the low temperature which aids cooling of the computers. The country is on the verge of running out of power because the miners now use as much electric as all the homes put together! By the end of the year it's estimated that Bitcoin mining centres will demand around 840 gigawatt hours of electricity while homes require around 700 gigawatt hours per year.

There's no sign of these trends changing either. All that wasted energy for something that doesn't even physically exist. How can that possibly work out well for the human race in the long run? Madness!

Bitcoin is an essential part of any civilised economy, how else can you pay for hitmen, illegal firearms & drug shipments?

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
I’d not given it a thought before but just caught sight of the smart meter while I’m listening to some tunes

Jeez! This amplifier Likes it’s juice

Time for a wind turbine on the roof I think.

Whatever happens you do get the benefit from the power consumed, either as sound or heat. In winter, anyway.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Gaz37 said:
Bitcoin is an essential part of any civilised economy, how else can you pay for hitmen, illegal firearms & drug shipments?

That is a very valid point. Bitcoins are a very useful way of paying for unsavory products. Personally I always like to use bitcoins when paying for high class hookers.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Kage said:
Hahaha mad some of these power draws. Always confuses me though. My LS50Ws have 230watts each per channel. I imagine they only use the full 460w together when really blasting out? They must use less juice at lesser volumes surely?

Speakers don't use any juice. Only amplifiers do that. You are quoting the maximum power handling capability of the speakers.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Oldphrt said:
Kage said:
Hahaha mad some of these power draws. Always confuses me though. My LS50Ws have 230watts each per channel. I imagine they only use the full 460w together when really blasting out? They must use less juice at lesser volumes surely?

Speakers don't use any juice. Only amplifiers do that. You are quoting the maximum power handling capability of the speakers.

They do if they are active, which those are.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
It's a Bitcoin mining radiator that earns you money every time you switch it on!

Clicky

hz7eWVFf6w9JMgWBRqrRob-650-80.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts