Power amplifier for kef ls50s

msboon

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering whether anyone has any suggestions for good power amps to match the LS50s. I already own the LS50s but as I am only likely to be using digital sources (sonos and possibly mac) from now on I was thinking of building a system around a dac/preamp running into a power amp.

Previously I've used a MF M3i to drive the LS50s and liked the sound. The consensus seems to be that the Ls50s need a powerful amp and a lot of the power amps in my budget range up to £1000ish seem to be around 50w p/c. I wasn't sure if that would be sufficient to drive the Ls50s.

Any suggestions would be appreciated although obviously I'd want to audition once I have a short list.

Mike

msboon

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to resurrect this post but since my original post above I've been thinking about the NAIM DAC V1 paired with the NAIM NAP 100 power amp.

My question is would the NAP 100 (50 watts) be powerful enough to drive my LS50s?

Grateful for any thoughts.

My room is about 6m x 3m but my listening "area" is about 3m x 3m at one end of the room.

Mike

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Powerful amplifiers at this sort of money are quite rare. Roksan Kandy maybe, but then I am no fan of the integrated so probable would not work for me.

The Naim is probably fine, up to a point, only you really know if you would be asking more than it can give.

I would be tempted and dig a little deeper and try a pair of PMC DS-001 monoblocks. Only just over £1200 and a hefty 200wpc of real power, Class D though, depends how you feel about that.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
The Leema Elements power amp is decent. It outputs 56W into 8 ohms, 110 into 4. So eventhough you might read that as "only 56W" it actually has a lot of grunt in reserve.

msboon

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Looking at the specs of the NAP 100 it is 50w into 8 ohms and 75w into 4 ohms.

I suppose I am attracted to the ideal of pairing the dac v1 and nap 100 given the similar sizing and aesthetic match - they were obviously designed to be paired together. Just a question of whether it is powerful enough for the ls50s.

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
msboon said:

I suppose I am attracted to the ideal of pairing the dac v1 and nap 100 given the similar sizing and aesthetic match - they were obviously designed to be paired together. Just a question of whether it is powerful enough for the ls50s.

Since it can drive Quad ESL... But it sure can't be much trouble getting a demo.

msboon

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
nima said:
msboon said:

Since it can drive Quad ESL... But it sure can't be much trouble getting a demo.

sorry you've lost me. Who said it can drive Quad SELs?

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
wilro15 said:
The Leema Elements power amp is decent. It outputs 56W into 8 ohms, 110 into 4. So eventhough you might read that as "only 56W" it actually has a lot of grunt in reserve.

indeed, its not all about watts you know.. ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts