Power amp to pre-outs

skorpyo

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have a Denon x2000 receiver and a pair of canton chrono sl 590.2. I'd like to buy a separate power amp for my front speakers to take off the load off the receiver for when the sub and surrounds are delivered. I've done some searching around and i see some people say that i cannot connect an external power amp to zone2 pre outs but only to main zone preouts.

Is this true? Most review websites state that zone2 can be used to pair a separate set of speakers in a different room, bi amp (which i am doing now) or connect a separate power amp. This makes sense.

Which one is it then?

Thanks a lot.

mmg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
You can connect a power amp to the Zone 2 pre-outs. This will only work for the second zone speakers though. You can't use it for the front speakers in a surround configuration, since your amp doesn't have pre-outs for the speakers in the main zone.

There are 2 speaker terminals on your amp that are assignable: you can set them to surround back, zone 2 or bi-amp. If you set them to bi-amp like you have now, the zone 2 pre-outs will not be active.

skorpyo

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

I will have to sell this receiver and buy a new one that offers main zone preouts.

What do you think would be better? Getting a receiver with main zone preouts and a power amplifier for the fronts or buy a flagship receiver like Pioneer LX87/Marantz 7008 etc with no stereo amp?

I know receiver wattage ratings are not exactly spot on and in reality only deliver about 60-70% of the power output per channel stated in the specs.

Thanks a lot!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts