Power amp to pair with older Monitor Audio Silver 200's

mphilips

Dec 31, 2020
Visit site
I am looking to migrate to a 2 channel separates system from my older 5.1 NAD amp with (pretty much) vintage H&K power amp. I will be keeping my front speakers, the MA Silver 200 floor standing speakers. I will get a preamp and power amp, but may just start with the power amp and get the pre at a later date. I realize you can't trust wattage as listed, but when it comes to solid state amps I tend to feel that more (while not the only factor by any means) is better than less (all other things being equal). My budget for the power amp is about 2,000 USD for the power amp alone. I was considering the Cambridge Audio Azur 851W Power Amplifier . . . any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed. I was also looking at Schiit . . . maybe even their dual monoblocks, but then I'd need a preamp with balanced outputs right off the bat. This is not out of the question though if it makes sense to go that route. I do like the idea of a preamp that doubles as a streamer which is also in that Cambridge line, but am not married to that idea. Thanks in advance.

Also, I am expecting to notice a big difference when listening to music if I invest in a system like this compared to what I have. If I am not going to see a real positive change without spending $10,000 then I'll keep what I have . . . thoughts are welcomed. I have nowhere to really audition anything right now, but if I narrow to a couple models maybe I can find a brick and mortar retailer that will allow me to hear in person. My preference has always been detail in the highs over booming bass, and a big realistic sound stage . . . to give an idea as to what I notice when listening to music. More rock and some jazz over hip-hop . . . usually.

mikeyc38

Oct 26, 2020
Visit site
Hmm, it is difficult to advise. You are always better off investing in equipment in the following order
1) High quality source
2)High quality amp/pre-amp
3)High quality speakers

Also you do need to audition equipment especially at that price point. It is a question of diminishing returns and what the rest of your kit is. Even when I had a cheap amp and speakers I had a great turntable with an SME 3009/II and Shure M95 - so my source was good and my records not damaged!

In my current setup I started with a Marantz CD-63 KI Sig (in the shop the difference between the CD63 and the KI Sig was clear - worth the extra money!) and a musical fidelity A1 and Tannoy Mercury speakers. The amp was replaced by an Audiolab 8000s. Then the speakers were replaced with Mission 782. Added the power amp Audiolab 8000SX so I could bi-amp and it lifted the system into the "awesome" place for me. Last upgrade was an Audiolab 8200CD. If I were to upgrade again, it would be the speakers.

You should also consider used (pre-amp and power amp) equipment as well provided it has been looked after.

You did not say what your source is?

Hope this helps

Mike

mphilips

Dec 31, 2020
Visit site
Thanks. My source is relatively good. I have a HTPC which utilizes a Musical Fidelity dac. I tend to play high res 24bit downloads from HD Tracs, or lossless optical disc rips. I'll also stream from Tidal. My turntable is hooked up to a different system but it's a music hall mmf 5 with an Ortofon red cartridge. I have a Musical Fidelity phono amp as well with their power brick.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts