Power Amp suggestions

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Suggestions please for power amps £1k to £2k to drive my ATC SCM11s. Currently using the onboard power amp in my Linn Majik DSM but the speakers deserve better. Did have an old Linn Chakra 2200 power and was about to upgrade the power supply. At just under £500 for the upgrade, however, I decided to sell the amp and buy something else.

Current favourites are (in order):
1) Nord Hypex Up
2) Abrahamsen Power (up)
3) Audiolab 8300mb (pair of - 2nd hand)

Any suggestions gratefully received. Wanted the Nord last week but there's a bit of a wait at the moment so have more time to consider. Will consider 2nd hand at a push. Thanks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Here is an eclectic mix of choices:

Arcam P49 (ex-dem)
Primare A34.2 (I see great minds think alike)
Luxman M-200 (may not have enough power for you, though can act as 2 Monos if get a 2nd).
Leema Elements Power Amp
Sugden Masterclass FPA 04 (ex-dem for under £2k)

CnoEvil said:

Arcam P49 (ex-dem) Primare A34.2 (I see great minds think alike) Luxman M-200 (may not have enough power for you, though can act as 2 Monos if get a 2nd). Leema Elements Power Amp Sugden Masterclass FPA 04 (ex-dem for under £2k)

You are right to include Primare Cnoevil, very underrated kit. I was looking purely at new equipment. The idea of going second hand does open the field rather.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I'd probably wait for the Nord's to become available again. Those Hypex modules are used in some very expensive products.

I also remember a glowing review of Benchmarks AHB2.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

Arcam P49 (ex-dem) Primare A34.2 (I see great minds think alike) Luxman M-200 (may not have enough power for you, though can act as 2 Monos if get a 2nd). Leema Elements Power Amp Sugden Masterclass FPA 04 (ex-dem for under £2k)

id probably rule out the M200. Kind of developed for desktop systems using the DA-200 as a DAC/pre. Then again, I've never tested what they can do in dual mono .

oh, I see they've now done the DA-250 and they've decided to have a remote control this time. Damn, if they'd come out with it a bit earlier I'd have gotten one as the pre for my active speakers. Not as compact as my Pioneer though.

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
A pair of NVA A80 Monoblocks fall easily within your budget and would leave plenty for the NVA speaker cables. You could also squeeze in an NVA pre amp for your budget.

You would be doing yourself a disservice to not look into NVA and just go with the usual recommendations.

If you are anywhere near Manchester you are welcome to pop round and listen to my set up sometime.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
james_LR90 said:
A pair of NVA A80 Monoblocks fall easily within your budget and would leave plenty for the NVA speaker cables. You could also squeeze in an NVA pre amp for your budget.

You would be doing yourself a disservice to not look into NVA and just go with the usual recommendations.

If you are anywhere near Manchester you are welcome to pop round and listen to my set up sometime.

Thanks everyone. More than enough suggestions to keep me busy thinking! As I've stated, not going to make any rushed decisions on this one. I nearly pulled the trigger on a pair of ex dem Audiolab mono blocks but think that they might be a tight squeeze in the available space (might also rule out one or two of the bigger options especially if they run hot). I've seen the ATC on Fleabay and might be tempted if bidding stops at a reasonable point. I'm also very tempted to wait until the Hypex modules are back on stream as they appear to have it all (great sound, bags of muscle and don't run at bar fire temps). Not thought about Primare before and know little about the brand. Am I correct in thinking that some of their latest amps also run as Class D? Interesting that no one's mentioned Quad.

Finally, JamesLR90, I'd not given NVA a thought either. Seem to remember that I had some interconnects from them once (sound chords/pipes - very stiff and difficult to bend????) Am I correct in thinking that they are a little 'left field' (for want of a better term). Also seem to remember something about strange current demands or similar....... sorry but I might be writing rubbish (wouldn't be the first time). However, you must rate them highly and we're not too far from Manchester (we're up in the Peak District) so might take you up on your kind offer of a visit.

Thanks again, folks. All suggestions much appreciated.

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
NVA could be considered a left field suggestion. The interconnects would have been the Sound pipe interconnect. NVA amps require low capacitance speaker cables but I don't know about any strange current demands! I rate NVA very highly indeed as do most people who give NVA a listen. As I said you would be more than welcome and could bring round any of your kit to compare.

Pedro2 said:
james_LR90 said:

Thanks everyone. More than enough suggestions to keep me busy thinking! As I've stated, not going to make any rushed decisions on this one. I nearly pulled the trigger on a pair of ex dem Audiolab mono blocks but think that they might be a tight squeeze in the available space (might also rule out one or two of the bigger options especially if they run hot). I've seen the ATC on Fleabay and might be tempted if bidding stops at a reasonable point. I'm also very tempted to wait until the Hypex modules are back on stream as they appear to have it all (great sound, bags of muscle and don't run at bar fire temps). Not thought about Primare before and know little about the brand. Am I correct in thinking that some of their latest amps also run as Class D? Interesting that no one's mentioned Quad.

Finally, JamesLR90, I'd not given NVA a thought either. Seem to remember that I had some interconnects from them once (sound chords/pipes - very stiff and difficult to bend????) Am I correct in thinking that they are a little 'left field' (for want of a better term). Also seem to remember something about strange current demands or similar....... sorry but I might be writing rubbish (wouldn't be the first time). However, you must rate them highly and we're not too far from Manchester (we're up in the Peak District) so might take you up on your kind offer of a visit.

Thanks again, folks. All suggestions much appreciated.

Didn't mention Quad as you'd be looking at the Elite QMP which I don't think is as good as the older 909. These are almost impossible to find second hand.

Primare are really good, had a pre/power set-up from them once, and use what they call UFPD technology, which to me is their proprietary Class D.

Review here:-

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/primare-a342-class-d-power-amplifier/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts