Possible speaker upgrade path...

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everybody,

I'm slowly trying to build up a half decent, moderately budgeted system. I currently have an aging but pristine Marantz CD6000OSE KI Sig, Pioneer N-50 Network Player, Marantz PM 7000 Amplifer (being upgraded to a Roksan K2 amp this week) and Q Acoustic Concept 20 with matching stands

My question is, as delighted as I am with the Q Acoustics Comcept 20's will they now be the weak link in the chain. I do not plan on upgrading the CD player as I'm perfectly happy with it and I mainly listen to Flac files, such as from HDtracks generally through the front usb socket of the Pioneer N-50 or streamed from J River 17 on the pc. The upgrade from the Marantz amp to the Roskan was a big step financially, (although I got a great dea)l but I want to hear all the true benefits of the new amp. Any suggestions regarding sensible future speaker upgrades?

Many thanks to anyone that offers suggestions.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
So much information in your post but not the bits that are relevant! Size of the room, how much space the speakers will have, whether you like 'warm' or 'bright' etc. etc.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
Hi Everybody,

I'm slowly trying to build up a half decent, moderately budgeted system. I currently have an aging but pristine Marantz CD6000OSE KI Sig, Pioneer N-50 Network Player, Marantz PM 7000 Amplifer (being upgraded to a Roksan K2 amp this week) and Q Acoustic Concept 20 with matching stands

My question is, as delighted as I am with the Q Acoustics Comcept 20's will they now be the weak link in the chain. I do not plan on upgrading the CD player as I'm perfectly happy with it and I mainly listen to Flac files, such as from HDtracks generally through the front usb socket of the Pioneer N-50 or streamed from J River 17 on the pc. The upgrade from the Marantz amp to the Roskan was a big step financially, (although I got a great dea)l but I want to hear all the true benefits of the new amp. Any suggestions regarding sensible future speaker upgrades?

Many thanks to anyone that offers suggestions.

Personally I think I would stick at what you have, assuming the new amplifier is the step up you expect, it should improve the speakers beyond all recognition.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi Davedotco

Your reply was the kind I was hoping to receive. As much as upgrading is nice, times are hard and Hi-Fi is definitely my guilty pleasure.I was constantly delaying and putting off the amp upgrade, unsure if the improvement would be justified financially, I eventually gave into temptation! I was just unsure as to whether the Concept 20's were up to the task with the Roksan. I'm sure (fingers crossed) the imrovement will be obvious.

Thanks

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
MakkaPakka

Good point you make. The trouble is, I'm shortly to be moving, final destination unknown at present... My current room is oddly shaped as I count the faces it totals 14, approx 20ft x 15 ft, numerous recesses, sloped roof on one side, not too many soft furnishings and hard floored, So wherever I eventually end up I'm sure I'll be able to milk some improvement out of the current system.

Many thanks for replying.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
Hi Davedotco

Your reply was the kind I was hoping to receive. As much as upgrading is nice, times are hard and Hi-Fi is definitely my guilty pleasure.I was constantly delaying and putting off the amp upgrade, unsure if the improvement would be justified financially, I eventually gave into temptation! I was just unsure as to whether the Concept 20's were up to the task with the Roksan. I'm sure (fingers crossed) the imrovement will be obvious.

Thanks

No problem lucky.

You should be aware that I am considered something of a loonie on here due to my insistance on placing far more emphasis on the amplifier, in any system pretty much, than is the norm for this forum.

In fact I would probably gone a bit further on the amplifier if funds had permited, my limited experience is that the Concept 20s respond really well to better amplification.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I would agree with DDC, the Concept 20's really benefit from good amplification. I would keep your system as it is for now.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Excellent, thanks CarlDW. I suppose I could have just asked were the Concept 20's up to the task. It's a relief. ;-)

I suppose my fear concerning these speakers was that the total outlay was 550 quid (sorry, no pound sign on this keyboard) including stands. 350 for the actual speakers is budget territory isn't it? no matter how well they sound with an aging Marantz amp...I just feared them being exposed with the Roksan. All the above is very pleasing to hear though!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts