Possible change in set up.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I think you can rest assured that Croft + Audio Note/PMC, will sound very different to ATC. Peoples' understanding of neutral can vary. I don't think ATC would make it through CJ's door.

Mmm . . . :? Reconsidering the fact, my use of the word 'neutral' is probably better replaced with 'natural and smooth'. I have to admit to being a valve freak, and my comparisons are 20 years old, I tend to compare to valves of the time. However, my EAR's - LS35's were potentialy, IMHO, the least valvey of sounds. It was the denuded Ortofon SPU Gold that produced the signature, smooth easy voice of my system, thats how I see it?

CJSF

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
edplaysdrums42 said:
It will interesting to find how much my amp plays a part in this, i suspect quite a lot.

I suspect not as much as you think... :)

There is good sense in this observation.

If you sell both amp and speakers, you will take a hit on both.

It may be that you can find a good match with the ATC amp. Look at Sonus Faber, Proac, Spendor and Diapason.

Don't give up your dream of Croft (et all) + Audio Note, but throw the above speakers into the mix. Remember, it takes a lot of research, along with a lot of trial and error, to get the right sound for YOU.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As the issue is detectable via all sources, it can only be the amp or speakers, or combination of both that is the issue, but I find the SAI2-150 a little on the smooth side, so I doubt it'll be the culprit

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
As the issue is detectable via all sources, it can only be the amp or speakers, or combination of both that is the issue, but I find the SAI2-150 a little on the smooth side, so I doubt it'll be the culprit

Hi There

Do you have any advice on speakers that would work well with the SIA2-150 and warm things up a bit, more musical so to speak?

Cheers Ed

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Are you looking for something that's in between Proac and ATC (which are opposide ends of the spectrum)?

Hi Ckno,

A happy new year to you.

Yes, I guess I am. Audio note interests me too, but not sure where to find them in my area.

Happy New Year to as well my friend. I'm sorry the SCM 40s are not working out (I was worried they might be too revealing on the less good recordings). The person to help with Audio Note is Martin Grennall, who is more than helpful, and can be contacted: martingrennall@audionote.co.uk Their speakers sound awesome on the end of their own kit (and designed to be in/near the corners). Have a look at AN-K or AN-J. Also PMC and Kef R series might also be worth checking out. I was impressed with some Kef R700 that I've recently heard.

[/quote]

Thanks for the link Cno. Unfortunately nearest dealer to me is down on the Sussex coast, I'll give the Harbeth a whirl next week and take it from there.

A

Anonymous

Spendor SA 1 are definitely on the warm side, they'll love the power thats on tap with your amp as well but try getting a demo either at home or a store with your amp.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Spectre said:
Spendor SA 1 are definitely on the warm side, they'll love the power thats on tap with your amp as well but try getting a demo either at home or a store with your amp.

I absolutely loved the SA1s, preferring them to the A series; and like Spectre believe they would sound very well with your amp.

You need to hear them in your room, to see if they have enough bass. A small quality sub can be added successfully, provided its properly set up....the only problem is this starts to get expensive.

Sonus faber is another good choice.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Thanks for the link Cno. Unfortunately nearest dealer to me is down on the Sussex coast, I'll give the Harbeth a whirl next week and take it from there.

Also try to get a listen to the Kef R series (esp. R700)....it's a totally different animal to the XQ range it replaced (which I disliked).

The Harbeth should also be a fun demo....choose a lot of the music that doesn't sound good on the ATCs, and report back.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
RE: Possible change in set up.
Thanks Electro

It will interesting to find how much my amp plays a part in this, i suspect quite a lot.

Thanks to everyone who has replied, much appreciated
smile.png

Watch this space!

Cheers Ed
wink.png

As others have already said I doubt if your amp is the cause of your problems, and it should work very well with any of the PMC i series up to the PB1i or thereabouts .

I hope you find what you are looking for amongst all the good suggestions that have been made and look forward to hearing what you finally decide to do .

Good listening, Electro
smiley-smile.gif

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Electro said:
RE: Possible change in set up.
Thanks Electro

Thanks to everyone who has replied, much appreciated
smile.png

Watch this space!

Cheers Ed
wink.png

As others have already said I doubt if your amp is the cause of your problems, and it should work very well with any of the PMC i series up to the PB1i or thereabouts .

I hope you find what you are looking for amongst all the good suggestions that have been made and look forward to hearing what you finally decide to do .

Good listening, Electro
smiley-smile.gif

Thanks Electro and to everyone else, Much appreciated. Cno, i will report back on my findings. Hopefully i will have some luck in getting some home demo's. While i'm on the subject are there any dealers that will do home demo with PMC.

Thanks again

Ed :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts