Portable In Car DVD player for kids

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Probably wrong section - mods please feel free to move if it benefits post !

Quite simple.

Want a decentish portable dvd player for 4 year old.

Bearing in mind I dont want something thats going to break in 3 months but also dont want to pay top dollar.

Heres my wish list.

1. Must be good enough for portability but also to go in car / back of head rest ( biggest priority ).

2. Prefer it to come with head rest bracket / accessory. ( But could source seperatly if any reccomendations ).

3. Was thinking flea bay second hand but wary of dodgy skipping disc problems / scratched lasers - please advise.

4. Im a bit snobby - if it were an adult gift I would be buying Panasonic but prepared to stop being picky if anyone reccomends anything else ?

5. Dont want kids straining their eyes to watch - any size screen reccomendations ?

Think thats about all - apologies for my spelling !

Thanks

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
psurquhart said:
Hi, Probably wrong section - mods please feel free to move if it benefits post !

Quite simple.

Bearing in mind I dont want something thats going to break in 3 months but also dont want to pay top dollar.

Heres my wish list.

1. Must be good enough for portability but also to go in car / back of head rest ( biggest priority ).

2. Prefer it to come with head rest bracket / accessory. ( But could source seperatly if any reccomendations ).

3. Was thinking flea bay second hand but wary of dodgy skipping disc problems / scratched lasers - please advise.

4. Im a bit snobby - if it were an adult gift I would be buying Panasonic but prepared to stop being picky if anyone reccomends anything else ?

5. Dont want kids straining their eyes to watch - any size screen reccomendations ?

Thanks
We have one but it always worked very badly on the move and seemed to encourage car sickness. We now use audio books - I can recommend the Stephen Fry Harry Potter readings.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
hammill said:
psurquhart said:

Quite simple.

Heres my wish list.

Thanks
We have one but it always worked very badly on the move and seemed to encourage car sickness. We now use audio books - I can recommend the Stephen Fry Harry Potter readings.

OK fair enough and thanks.

Was wondering about the whole motion sickness thing, so nice one for reminding me.

But come on all you Dads ( and Mums ) out there - surely someone has bought one ???

Appreciate you taking time to reply but can not see a 3-4 year old listening to an audio book recording, unless Im missing something ?

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I purchased a shinco portable dvd player a few years ago the case doubled up as a harness for the head rest, i haven't really used it much as i haven't got kids, sorry i couldn't have been much help, why not shop round & see what catches your eye, mustek seems quite cheap & popular.

A

Anonymous

I have the same question......except its for 2 back seat drivers so ideally looking for a double screen solution......interested to know what you ended up buying if anything plus anything about motion sickness arising??

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

[UNPUBLISHED]

I know a good store online where there are many kinds of car dvd player. I bought one gadget from there, works well. Share with you! www.justcardvd.com.

hunnyy

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
I've had two portable DVD players (for car use) for my young son - a 7" Phillips and an 8.5" Toshiba. Both worked fine, never any skipping on the move, and made any long journey much more tolerable and enjoyable for him. And no motion sickness.

I'd tend to stick to "brand" names to lessen the chance of skipping on the move, etc.

John Duncan

I went to a big Tescos and bought the one that offered the best price/likelihood of breaking ratio. I think I ended up with an LG for about 50/60 quid but I honestly couldn't tell you. Buying two is probably just as good value as buying a twin screen one, and offers the ability to watch different films to avoid arguments...

GJ

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Recently bought the Nextbase Dual 9" Dvd system from Tesco, lets my boys watch Fireman Sam and Scooby Doo at the same time.

Have been using it since Christmas and it seems ok the picture quality is better than i thought and the boys love them.

It mounts on the back of the headrest via velcro ties (although in our CRV the headrests are a strange shape so i have had to wrap the ties round the headrest pillars so the players sit lower than I would like). The top of the range models comes with "Click and Connect" mounting bracket which connect directly onto the pillars (so you just click in the player when you want it) but they were nearly £300 for 2.

Thought I'd be able to source cheaper mounting brackets but no success yet- certainly worth considering Nextbase

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts