Question Popping sound in speakers when switching songs

El Puerco Volante

Jul 31, 2024
Visit site
I have a CNX 100 connected to Advance Paris A10.

Every time I switch songs (using Tidal connect) I hear a very annoying popping sound in my speakers.

I tried to change the streamer ro Advance Paris product instead of CNX100. Tried to use analogue, Coax and Optical connections between steamer and the amp.

No avail, the popping sound is still there.

Now something that I noticed:

The A10 screen always says 'auto detect" next to the input description (see photo). When I switch between songs, the "auto detect" briefly blinks. It's like the signal disappears for half a second and then comes back. And this may be causing the popping sound.

I couldn't find a way to disable this "auto detect".

It may be unrelated to the popping sound, but I don't really have other ideas.

Tried to send two messages to Advance Paris, but they didn't replied.

Any ideas from the knowledgeable crowd here?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG20240810192223.jpg
    IMG20240810192223.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 6

Gray

You've tried another streamer as well as the CXN100 into the A10 - with the same result.
So the obvious next step is to try the CXN100 into any other amp - and see if you still get the popping. If you do, it's nothing to do with the A10.....then you need to determine whether it's specific to Tidal only.

I wouldn't expect the 'Auto Detect' to be triggering between tracks - but I would want to turn it off to be sure.
Looking at the user manual for the A10, I'm guessing they might be calling it 'APD'.
If you go to 'APD Setting' in the system menu, you can switch it off (y)
It needs a minimum of 5 minutes of no signal before triggering, so it really shouldn't be the cause of your issue.....but your display is indicating activation - so switch it off to be sure.

Reactions: Stuart83

El Puerco Volante

Jul 31, 2024
Visit site
You've tried another streamer as well as the CXN100 into the A10 - with the same result.
So the obvious next step is to try the CXN100 into any other amp - and see if you still get the popping. If you do, it's nothing to do with the A10.....then you need to determine whether it's specific to Tidal only.

I wouldn't expect the 'Auto Detect' to be triggering between tracks - but I would want to turn it off to be sure.
Looking at the user manual for the A10, I'm guessing they might be calling it 'APD'.
If you go to 'APD Setting' in the system menu, you can switch it off (y)
It needs a minimum of 5 minutes of no signal before triggering, so it really shouldn't be the cause of your issue.....but your display is indicating activation - so switch it off to be sure.
Thank you! I switched off the APD now in the A10 menu. No effect. The "auto detect" is still written on the A10 screen all the time, same is in my photo. And it's briefly blinking when I switch between songs, indicating the "auto detect" in going off and back on. Now I'm reasonably sure the issue is related to this "auto detect". I've tried to use Spotify instead of Tidal - same issue. BUT: as soon as I enable "gapless playback" on Spotify the issue is gone! So it look like it's gaps between the songs that cause this. I have a strong suspicion that A10 is constantly monitoring the inputs for signal with this "auto detect". And as soon as I switch between songs it -very briefly - detects a moment when there is no signal and switches something off and back on when next song starts. That causes the popping sound in the speakers. I bet that if I could disable this "auto detect" this would solve the issue. But I cannot find a way to do it - neither in the A10 manual or on the web. And there is no "gapless playback" option on Tidal. And I cannot switch to Spotify, since they don't have hi-rez. Any brilliant ideas? This is very annoying and is ruining my enjoyment with my new system.

Big thanks!

Reactions: Gray

El Puerco Volante

Jul 31, 2024
Visit site
I bet it is 😕

Whatever 'APD' is 🤔, it seems it's nothing to do with auto detect then.

I would do whatever it takes to get a response from Advance Paris.
You obviously don't want an auto detect that can't handle track gaps 🤨
Still no answer from Advance Paris in 3 weeks.

Look like the customer is not on top of this firm priority list.

I now managed to contact their local distributor. After describing the issue in detail, the answer I got - "we never saw this, this surely must be your streamer". After explaining (again) that this happens even with their own brand streamer, not only CNX100 - they are saying"contact the shop you bought it and initiate a warranty claim"

No answers to my questions on ways to disable "auto-detect", no nothing.

I initiated a warranty claim, but very annoyed with the attitude of the Advance Paris.

In comparison, I sent few questions to PrimaLuna this Sunday. I'm not even their customer, just checking in case I'll need a new amp after this Advance Paris disaster. They replied immediately (on Sunday) and spent considerable time in answering my questions in detailed and friendly manner...

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Still no answer from Advance Paris in 3 weeks.

Look like the customer is not on top of this firm priority list.

I now managed to contact their local distributor. After describing the issue in detail, the answer I got - "we never saw this, this surely must be your streamer". After explaining (again) that this happens even with their own brand streamer, not only CNX100 - they are saying"contact the shop you bought it and initiate a warranty claim"

No answers to my questions on ways to disable "auto-detect", no nothing.

I initiated a warranty claim, but very annoyed with the attitude of the Advance Paris.

In comparison, I sent few questions to PrimaLuna this Sunday. I'm not even their customer, just checking in case I'll need a new amp after this Advance Paris disaster. They replied immediately (on Sunday) and spent considerable time in answering my questions in detailed and friendly manner...
That does indeed suck.

I demo and swap through all sorts now after becoming friendly with the staff at the local(ish) hifi dealers and remember demoing the cx100.
I even remember what songs from The Clash and The Lumineers coincidentally on Tidal using a CX100 without any pops that's for sure.

I know there was the same ongoing problem with the wiim amp, most users got it with Deezer and Tidal.

Wiim first suggested to adjust the latency switch rate on their amp and turn on fade in/ but after a more complaints gathered they instead released a firmware update thus solving the issue.

What I'd suggest you've already done but if indeed it's a firmware issue then the replacement will inherit the same issue.

I agree being able to shut off the auto detect would be helpful to rule it out.
I'm not sure if the amp sees a track gap as a loss of an ancillary signal or if this is more likely to be within normal behaviour for the A10 and it's just "detecting and redetecting the end of the gap in the music"

I'm not stranger to firmware problems Arcam seem to be one for releasing things to use a more accurate word "unfinished"

I hung back on an amp of theirs because I craved it's sound so much that waiting for the long line of firmware updates to solve it's problems was worth it.
The following price drop was even better.
However I couldn't be bothered to wait further for the CDP they also released "unfinished" to be updated with a standard rudemantery Search function or even gapless playback and went elsewhere)
Infact I think the whole situation is rediculas.

I fully understand and agree with update functionality in an ever changing world of format acronyms etc etc but releasing things unfinished with the old line "their will be an upcoming update for that" doesn't cut it.

There's a few Google search hits pointing to Tidal picking up this track selection pop within certain equipments.
To list a few-

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/BudgetAudiophile/comments/12zo2si/speakers_popping_when_changing_songs/

The reason I think along the lines of software/firmware problems causing the popping is because the usual reason for getting a 'pop' on an amp is usually caused by different circumstances.

The usual switching on/off and also cycling between inputs causing a rapid change of voltage at the power amplifier section is one reason which was more common place in yrs gone by.
(Most amps have a protection relay and are AC coupled so it's also not that common now)
However more uncommon are the random pops and clicks during normal operation which are usually old leaky caps discharging sporadically.

(I won't bore you by going further suffice to say your pops are when the amp is already powered on with the same output selection)

I know it sounds daft but have you tried the old often overlooked resetting and switching it off and unplugging for an HR 😊
Maybe a Google search on it's settings might suffice however I rather think you will of already done that.

I demoed the A10 not long ago at hifi sounds so you can take solace in knowing you've got something that sounds a rather special in its replacement and if it is a firmware issue it will likely be addressed at some point.

I'd certainly take "greys" suggestion and use this thread to hasten a reply out of them.
I wouldn't imagine they will want any bad press within hifi forums.

Last edited:

El Puerco Volante

Jul 31, 2024
Visit site
Big thank to all for the replies and suggestions! For sure more then I got from the vendor/distributor :rolleyes:

Yes, I have tried the factory reset already. No effect.

I also tried different combinations of amps, streamers and speakers. As soon as I use an amp different from A10 connected to same streamer/speakers - no problem.

With A10 it's happening with both streamers I tried, including one from Advance Paris itself...

I now politely mentioned in my communication with the distributor that I've asked the helpful crowd on the forums for support.

Still, the note is : "We haven't seen such issues on our A10s. Open warranty claim, the vendor will send us the device and we'll try to reproduce".

They also mentioned that apparently the whole Advance Paris firm is on holidays until the coming Sunday. I'm very happy that they get such a united workforce that goes on holidays together, but it didn't exactly increased my level of confidence :)

My main concern is that I will now pack & ship my A10, it will be checked superficially and comes back exactly same with "we cannot reproduce" standard reply.

I will ask the distributor if they would rather come to me (it's a 65km drive) or if I can come to them. It's much easier to show the issue first-hand.

Given the attitude I'm expecting to be told to f*ck off :cool:, but I like to think positive :D

If I would be the vendor/distributor, I would be VERY interested to see such an issue, so I can fix a severe flaw in my product!

Once more, big thanks to all. The amp indeed sounds very nice (in High Bias class A setting), but this clicks/pops are driving me mad !

Reactions: DougK1 and Gray

El Puerco Volante

Jul 31, 2024
Visit site
Update: I was right in my assumption about the Advance Paris distributor reply.

I has been basically told to f*ck off

Despite initially saying that they would test my A10 in their lab, once I tried to (politely) ask them if it would be an option to come and test the issue first-hand in my setup, they changed the tune for the worse.

Firstly, they are now saying that suddenly they are not distributors, but importers. Whatever this means... This is despite being listed under "Contact foreign distributors" on Advance Paris website !?!

Secondly, I've bought my A10 online, on a reputable local vendor website. Not imported it. Despite that, the distributor is now saying "oh, great, this website is not our customer. Go deal with them, not our problem".

In my view this is simply despicable attitude.

This film is listed as the only local official distributor and contact on Advance Paris website for my area.

Given the total lack of reply from Advance Paris itself, I shouldn't have expected anything different from the distributor.

Still, this is very sad that there are firms that still think they are entitled to treat customers like dirt.

Gray

I will ask the distributor if they would rather come to me (it's a 65km drive) or if I can come to them. It's much easier to show the issue first-hand.
Either of those would be a better option than posting it to them.
Ask if they can provide another A10 for comparison purposes.
That way you / they will determine whether your unit is faulty or "operating to the manufacturers standard" (There's a very important difference).

If proven faulty, then how long you've owned it will decide what action you can insist that they take.

EDIT: I've just seen your last post, which you posted before this one ☹️
Someone needs a lesson in customer service - they're just lucky I'm not their customer.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

El Puerco Volante

Jul 31, 2024
Visit site
Either of those would be a better option than posting it to them.
Ask if they can provide another A10 for comparison purposes.
That way you / they will determine whether your unit is faulty or "operating to the manufacturers standard" (There's a very important difference).

If proven faulty, then how long you've owned it will decide what action you can insist that they take.

EDIT: I've just seen your last post, which you posted before this one ☹️
Someone needs a lesson in customer service - they're just lucky I'm not their customer.
Thanks!

I've owned it for a couple of month now. Between summer holidays I've only started to actively used it now, but the issue has been there right from the beginning.

Looks like my only option is to send it back for repairs via the website I've bought it from. Which I'm afraid will result in some superficial checks and total loss of time.

Not really sure how I can kick Advance Paris lower back to get them interested in their customer here !

I mean, you have a customer that troubleshoots the issue for you, is willing to spend his time to show it and to work with you to find a solution. I would love my customers to be like that, honestly :D

Obviously the Advance Paris and their distributor are seeing is differently...

Reactions: DougK1 and Gray

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I
Update: I was right in my assumption about the Advance Paris distributor reply.

I has been basically told to f*ck off

Despite initially saying that they would test my A10 in their lab, once I tried to (politely) ask them if it would be an option to come and test the issue first-hand in my setup, they changed the tune for the worse.

Firstly, they are now saying that suddenly they are not distributors, but importers. Whatever this means... This is despite being listed under "Contact foreign distributors" on Advance Paris website !?!

Secondly, I've bought my A10 online, on a reputable local vendor website. Not imported it. Despite that, the distributor is now saying "oh, great, this website is not our customer. Go deal with them, not our problem".

In my view this is simply despicable attitude.

This film is listed as the only local official distributor and contact on Advance Paris website for my area.

Given the total lack of reply from Advance Paris itself, I shouldn't have expected anything different from the distributor.

Still, this is very sad that there are firms that still think they are entitled to treat customers like dirt.
Agreed.
I feel for you I do.
I've had something similar with companies passing the book.

That frustration that quickly with every hiccup turns into anger as the feeling of being ripped off becomes ever more apparent.

Maybe if they were indeed all on holiday at the same time it will be a case of backlogs to be cleared 🤷

twinkletoes

I tried to change the streamer ro Advance Paris product instead of CNX100. Tried to use analogue, Coax and Optical connections between steamer and the amp.
To be fair to AP if they have dealer network they expect you to go through them. Like most companies they probably have a very very small customer care team on sight.

Sorry to point this out If you have done the above this then would suggest the Cambridge is at fault, or does the A10 digitise all incoming signals?

Analogue inputs wouldn't show this behaviour normally unless it all digital design.

Before you go to all the trouble of sending it back Out of of curiosity have you connected a laptop/phone/tablet to it through the usb to see if you get the same problem?

Have a you tried an Apple TV/or similar straight into it using the HDMI input and arc output? if it has them (belive im looking at the right model) does it still show the same problems when using the spotify/tidal/apple music app.

Do you have a chrome cast audio you could try or any other digital device DVD player Blu-ray player, CD player anything, heck connect your tv to the toslink/the red and whites and go to YouTube and play some music does it still show the behaviour does the TV show show this behaviour through the HDMI ARC. If it's the digital inputs it will do it with whatever you plug into it. unless there Is a faulty toslink/coax port take it tried the other ports as well?

Generally if you have done what I have quoted you saying (in bold) above unless its an all digital design it wont be the amp.

Last edited:

JTo

Oct 21, 2024
Visit site
I'd try to check if it's not a WASAPI thing. My amp + speakers do this when I have WASAPI in the exclusive mode in Qobuz (another streaming service). When I switch to non-exclusive WASAPI, the issue is gone. Tidal also uses WASAPI, so it could be similar.

I somehow thought this was a valve amp thing, but maybe it's more general. It's probably very easy to check, no harm trying.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts