Poorly amp

Webern

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi all. I have an annoying low-level crackling coming from one channel of my hifi. Having changed cables etc, it seems to be the right hand channel of my Meridian 557 power amp. It's 17+ years old, but I really don't want to replace it. I have the name of a guy who does Meridian repairs, but just before I enquire about sending it away, two questions:

1) Does anyone have any suggestions as to anything I could try/look at on the 557? Any known faults?

2) If the quotation comes in too high for repair, which power amps would you suggest as a replacement? My budget would probably be around £750-1250.

My listening is almost exclusively classical. The remainder of the setup is Meridian G02 CD, 501 Pre and PMC OB1.

I need cheering up. At least I have the "backup" hifi... Thanks.

I'd stick with Meridian in you like the sound and system compatibility. There is always stuff coming up on eBay like the pair of 205 monoblocks that are on there at the moment for £700.

Once you go pre / power it is advisable to always stick with the same manufacturer to circumvent any compatibility issues that might arise.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
If you are satisfied with the Meridian sound then have your power amp repaired it should cost far less than £750 to repair.

If it is not repairable I would suggest one of these Nord power amps using the 501 as the preamp, or if you could stretch you budget a little then you could also buy one of the new Nord preamps.

Your PMC OB1's will love the power and control of the Nords and the prices are very good indeed, they are hand made to order so you can alter the spec to your needs and taste.

Phone Colin for details and info .

http://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/products

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Webern said:
Hi all. I have an annoying low-level crackling coming from one channel of my hifi. Having changed cables etc, it seems to be the right hand channel of my Meridian 557 power amp. It's 17+ years old, but I really don't want to replace it. I have the name of a guy who does Meridian repairs, but just before I enquire about sending it away, two questions:

1) Does anyone have any suggestions as to anything I could try/look at on the 557? Any known faults?

2) If the quotation comes in too high for repair, which power amps would you suggest as a replacement? My budget would probably be around £750-1250.

My listening is almost exclusively classical. The remainder of the setup is Meridian G02 CD, 501 Pre and PMC OB1.

I need cheering up. At least I have the "backup" hifi... Thanks.

While not definative, given the age of the amp, the noise you describe is typical of old electrolytic capacitors failing - bacon frying in the distance.

If that is the problem, then it is quite possible a number of the electrolytics are close to the end of their life. If your man has the amp in bits, and if it turns out that a cap has failed, it might be worth replacing all the caps as a precaution.

Although the caps themselves cost pennies, the labour can be expensive. Also be aware that PCBs were never designed to be repaired, so there is always the risk of damaging the board / lifting a track.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Electro said:
If you are satisfied with the Meridian sound then have your power amp repaired it should cost far less than £750 to repair.

If it is not repairable I would suggest one of these Nord power amps using the 501 as the preamp, or if you could stretch you budget a little then you could also buy one of the new Nord preamps.

Your PMC OB1's will love the power and control of the Nords and the prices are very good indeed, they are hand made to order so you can alter the spec to your needs and taste.

I also agree on the nord power amps for the money probably one off the best value for performance amps

Electro: you have to hit target of 10 units before you can claim commission

Webern

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. 'Bacon frying in the distance' describes it perfectly. I haven't packed the amp up for repair yet, but I'll certainly bear the caps in mind. I hadn't heard of the Nord amps but again thanks for the tip.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Electro said:

I also agree on the nord power amps for the money probably one off the best value for performance amps

I wish I was on commission, I would probably be able to retire in a couple of years. *smile*

These amps are going to sell like hot cakes, Colin is going to do very well with them imo, as are his customers.

Electro said:
Andrewjvt said:
Electro said:

I wish I was on commission, I would probably be able to retire in a couple of years. *smile*

These amps are going to sell like hot cakes, Colin is going to do very well with them imo, as are his customers.

If they are selling like hot cakes I would suggest Colin utilises larger heatsinks... :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Electro said:
Andrewjvt said:
Electro said:

Good for him
Glad they are doing well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts