Question Poll, what do you think, is vinyl better or CD?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Is vinyl better or CD?

• Vinyl

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • CD

Votes: 32 64.0%
  • Both equally good

Votes: 12 24.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

abacus

Which sounds better? Vinyl on a system with well matched components, let’s say with a total cost of roughly £5k. Or Spotify via Bluetooth, through a pair of well regarded, but budget friendly components. Something like the Q Acoustics 3030i and Audiolab 6000A.

For me the overall sound quality you experience is based on your complete system. This includes room acoustics, how well your individual components work together, and your personal preferences.

It is generally regarded that speakers and amplification are far more significant to the overall sound quality, compared to if you prefer vinyl, CD or streaming. Some here completely ignore this.
Nobody is ignoring the rest of the system, but the question was about the source, NOT the system.

Bill

ZaxZaxx

Mar 30, 2024
Visit site
I think certain kinds of music sound better on one or the other. For example, I prefer to listen to techno or anything electronic on vinyl, for some reason - it seems to 'humanise' it in some way. The one exception (usually) is ambient, when vinyl noise can actually spoil the music. I also prefer CD for classical music and jazz for similar reasons. So I suppose I'm saying that I like the sound carrier to be the 'opposite' of the recording. :unsure:

I’ve bought a lot of records recently so thought it only right to play them today. These are albums and EPs I already have on CD and have been playing quite a lot. Comparing them , on my setup, I’m getting more Bass from the vinyl, and the atmospheric tones are a bit more set back. But yeah, it sounds great. Helped by the fact it’s not too late in the day, so I can squeeze a bit more volume out 😊 without driving the neighbours nuts. Still sounds like there’s an open fire in the room though 😂 the 45rpm disc I’ve played is definitely a step up in quality. Whether that’s production or speed I dunno, but it’s noticeable.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

podknocker

There are so many posts here, alluding to the 'merits' of vinyl having non CD qualities and aesthetics, but not much solid and reliable information to promote LPs as giving anything near CD SOUND quality. It suggests to me that I was right all along. Many people love vinyl for all the wrong reasons and none of them have much to do with reproducing music in an authentic way. CD sounds incredible and why would you care if you get a few scratches on your jewel case? Why is trawling through shelves full of 2nd hand smelly LPs any better, or more worthwhile, than doing the same in a shop, or car boot sale full of CDs? We have a vinyl revival and it all seems to be a nostalgic look back towards the past and a rose tinted and strangley romantic view of an old music format. I remember owning the same album on LP and cassette tape, in the mid to late 80s and I always thought my tapes sounded much better, perhaps with the Dolby B enabled. Tapes sound better than LPs and are far more portable and practical. I think the reason people are getting into vinyl, is because it takes some effort and is a real faff. The ritual of vinyl is making people think this effort is somehow worthwhile and has some tangible and perceived benefit to the outcome of the sound. The current trend and momentum of vinyl sales will fade eventually and I see it as nothing more than fashion. It's caught on because people wrongly think it sounds better and it can be regarded as a misguided backlash against anything new and modern, for some weird reason. Even if CD is 41 years old, many regard this shiny digital format as something to be wary of and not trust it, even though it is a technical marvel and hugely capable. I think this attitude shows how many people can be so easily distracted by such trivial and superficial things like this. It's bizarre. CD was an advancement of the Laserdisc format, in the late 70s and all the companies involved in these optical formats must have been ecstatic, inventing such a durable and great sounding technology, without all the still obvious limitations of vinyl. The fact people are so dismissive of CD and still yearn for the ancient LPs is so irrational and isn't much more than a rebellious 2 fingers up to an established and proven optical format. I worshipped CD for decades, until something better came along. You can now get CD quality, or even closer to recording studio quality, via online platforms. Another improvement in sound quality and you don't need any physical disc at all. That's progress to me, a bit like the online version of WHF. I'd never buy a paper version again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sixtyten

abacus

There are so many posts here, alluding to the 'merits' of vinyl having non CD qualities and aesthetics, but not much solid and reliable information to promote LPs as giving anything near CD SOUND quality. It suggests to me that I was right all along. Many people love vinyl for all the wrong reasons and none of them have much to do with reproducing music in an authentic way. CD sounds incredible and why would you care if you get a few scratches on your jewel case? Why is trawling through shelves full of 2nd hand smelly LPs any better, or more worthwhile, than doing the same in a shop, or car boot sale full of CDs? We have a vinyl revival and it all seems to be a nostalgic look back towards the past and a rose tinted and strangley romantic view of an old music format. I remember owning the same album on LP and cassette tape, in the mid to late 80s and I always thought my tapes sounded much better, perhaps with the Dolby B enabled. Tapes sound better than LPs and are far more portable and practical. I think the reason people are getting into vinyl, is because it takes some effort and is a real faff. The ritual of vinyl is making people think this effort is somehow worthwhile and has some tangible and perceived benefit to the outcome of the sound. The current trend and momentum of vinyl sales will fade eventually and I see it as nothing more than fashion. It's caught on because people wrongly think it sounds better and it can be regarded as a misguided backlash against anything new and modern, for some weird reason. Even if CD is 41 years old, many regard this shiny digital format as something to be wary of and not trust it, even though it is a technical marvel and hugely capable. I think this attitude shows how many people can be so easily distracted by such trivial and superficial things like this. It's bizarre. CD was an advancement of the Laserdisc format, in the late 70s and all the companies involved in these optical formats must have been ecstatic, inventing such a durable and great sounding technology, without all the still obvious limitations of vinyl. The fact people are so dismissive of CD and still yearn for the ancient LPs is so irrational and isn't much more than a rebellious 2 fingers up to an established and proven optical format. I worshipped CD for decades, until something better came along. You can now get CD quality, or even closer to recording studio quality, via online platforms. Another improvement in sound quality and you don't need any physical disc at all. That's progress to me, a bit like the online version of WHF. I'd never buy a paper version again.
Music is emotional not a technical exercise and everyone is different (This is why some prefer one type of music, and others don't).
In spite of your protestations about vinyl lovers, the poll shows that the vast majority agree with you, so can't see what you are moaning about, unless you believe that anybody that does not agree with you (Technically or emotionally) is wrong. (I'm right and the rest of the world is wrong attitude)
No matter how good the playback system, if the master is poor, no Hi-Fi system of any type can make it better (You need professional equipment and know how to use it for that), so pointing out that one technology is better than another does not mean a thing when it comes to the final product. (This applies to all things in life whether it is poor filming, poor playing or poor formatting in documents)

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts