PMC twenty 26

Olle90

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Hi! I currently have Dynaudio Focus 260 and i'm very pleased with them. However, i would like to try something new and better with a bit more dynamic and rythmic sound. I can get a brand new pair of PMC twenty 26 for a very good deal, 40 % of. What's your opinion on them? If i sell my Focus 260, i don't have to pay that much for them and i've only read good things about them. Would it be a step up from my Focus 260?

The twenty series has been replaced by the twenty-five, although some twenty models are still available. A 40% reduction is about right, as they are heftily priced.

I've heard them a couple of times and they are very enjoyable. Quite an exposed treble, giving an open and exciting sound, so best to aim speakers straight down the room, not at your listening spot. Will respond well to better amplifiers.

A big risk to buy without hearing first, preferably at home - as with any speaker. The 20 year guarantee doesn't transfer, so need to be brand new to qualify.

Good luck!

PS. I don't know your current speakers, so cannot compare them, sorry.

Olle90

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Okey, thanks! I have an Atoll IN 200 amplifier which is very good and neutral. But you wouldn't say that the PMC are sharp/ too bright if you place them straight? My equipment are not bright so i don't think that's a problem. The dealer is very good, so i can trade the speakers for something else if i'm not happy with them.

nopiano said:
The twenty series has been replaced by the twenty-five, although some twenty models are still available. A 40% reduction is about right, as they are heftily priced.

I've heard them a couple of times and they are very enjoyable. Quite an exposed treble, giving an open and exciting sound, so best to aim speakers straight down the room, not at your listening spot. Will respond well to better amplifiers.

A big risk to buy without hearing first, preferably at home - as with any speaker. The 20 year guarantee doesn't transfer, so need to be brand new to qualify.

Good luck!

PS. I don't know your current speakers, so cannot compare them, sorry.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

iceman16 said:
If you can audition Focal 1028be (used) it may worth a try

Ive not heard your speakers too, but I reckon they will be better than yours as they are in a different price/quality bracket and very well raved about. Also are a 3 way design. I had the twenty 23 which was very good, but if I were you I'd try and get the 25-26 if you like it on a trial, as the twenty5 series give a considerable jump up in performance over twenty series (so much so many people say the bigger speakers are as good as the fact series like the fact 8). I jumped from 20-23 to 25-23 and Id resoundingly agree on this. Better punchier bass, and better midrange with stiffer slightly shortened cabinets. You may be able to get a show pair or an ex demo pair with the same 20 year warranty for a considerable saving.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Ive not heard your speakers too, but I reckon they will be better than yours as they are in a different price/quality bracket and very well raved about. Also are a 3 way design. I had the twenty 23 which was very good, but if I were you I'd try and get the 25-26 if you like it on a trial, as the twenty5 series give a considerable jump up in performance over twenty series (so much so many people say the bigger speakers are as good as the fact series like the fact 8). I jumped from 20-23 to 25-23 and Id resoundingly agree on this. Better punchier bass, and better midrange with stiffer slightly shortened cabinets. You may be able to get a show pair or an ex demo pair with the same 20 year warranty for a considerable saving.

Focal 1028BE was 4700 GBP in 2010, so is acually more expensive than the PMC Twenty 26 @ 4495 GBP

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/the-focal-electra-1028be-loudspeaker-hi-fi-71/

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Yes I realised that but thanks for pointing out. But was just referring to speakers in first post. But on focal, I've never thought much of ones I've heard even really expensive current ones. Ones I've heard are quite toppy in high frequencies, whereas pmc much better engagement of bass and treble together, and balance, and a really smooth bass sounding speaker.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Yes I realised that but thanks for pointing out. But was just referring to speakers in first post. But on focal, I've never thought much of ones I've heard even really expensive current ones. Ones I've heard are quite toppy in high frequencies, whereas pmc much better engagement of bass and treble together, and balance, and a really smooth bass sounding speaker.

I don't get on with Focal either....but the best I heard them sound, was on the end of an AMS35i Class A amp....which just so happens to be what's driving Iceman's 1028BEs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts