PMC TB2 system setup advise.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Taylor74:The amplifier can be bough separately. It is called DS-001.
Just to make it clear, this amp does not work with the passive TB2s. It's an upgrade for the older active models. For amp packs that work with the passive TB2s see my post above.

hanno:Can someone tell me how the get the best sound out of these TB2, or which upgrade is the right way to go, and which brands i have to take a look at. Maybe a pre/power combo or upperclass cdp?

I'm thinking of listen to the Primare i30 amp and if founds will stretch the cdp 31 even.
If looking in that price range then audition the Cambridge Audio 840E/W combo aswell.

A

Anonymous

Al13n,

The PMC amplifier will work with any loudspeaker.

You just need a £3 plug called a Neutrik Speakon to put on the end of the speaker cable.

A

Anonymous

Tarquinh:Which is what most of us do, poor deluded fools that we are!

The amp/speaker relationship should be addressed by one engineer.

Mixing and matching is not a good idea.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Taylor74:Al13n, The PMC amplifier will work with any loudspeaker. You just need a £3 plug called a Neutrik Speakon to put on the end of the speaker cable.
I stand corrected.

However, PMC do market the DS-001 and Bryston PowerPacks (which they distribute) in the way I've outlined above. So, by your own rationale and in your own words:

Taylor74:The amp/speaker relationship should be addressed by one engineer. Mixing and matching is not a good idea.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Even in professional studios/installations you'll find a mix of active and passive designs. At the end of the day it's whatever works for you, with your music, in your acoustic space.

Enjoy the Music
emotion-29.gif

A

Anonymous

The reason the speakers sound different in you home is because you've put them in a different room.

Amps make very little difference (typically an amp will have THD - total harmonic distortion of 0.03%), and speaker cables make no difference either, so long as there's enough copper in them (Abbey Road Studios, and many of the other large studios use Van Damme speaker cable costing £2.50/m).

The dimensions of your room, and the materials in it has a HUGE impact on how speakers sound, particularly the bass response and the imaging. Typical rooms have dimensions that cause standing waves (resonances) at certain frequencies, which is most noticable in the bass, as these resonances are further apart, leading to some loud bass notes and other quiet notes in bad rooms, and muddiness because of the extended reverb tail of these resonances.

The best way to make decent speakers sound good sort out your room's acoustics. Fact.

This bloke knows what he's talking about: http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Reactions: danobo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts