PMC TB2 system setup advise.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I just bought a set of PMC TB2 speakers 2nd hand.

When i listen to the speakers at the home of the person i bought them from the sounded real good.

The room is about the same size and setup as is mine, but at my home they sounded verry different, mudded?

He play's with a CA Azur 640 and a pre/power amp, which was verry old, but sounded great.

I play with a Rega Apollo cdp and Roksan K2 amp.

Can someone tell me how the get the best sound out of these TB2, or which upgrade is the right way to go, and which brands i have to take a look at.

Maybe a pre/power combo or upperclass cdp?

Thanx for any advise!

PMC TB2, Roksan Kandy K2, Rega Apollo, Atacama stands, Chord Odyssey 2 and Chord Chameleon Silver Plus.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
hanno:
When i listen to the speakers at the home of the person i bought them from the sounded real good.

Did you audition with your amp or the sellers?

If the sellers , which amp was it?

A

Anonymous

I use the Chord in bi-wire, stands are Atacama and the are about 30 cm from back wall, no side walls.

I did not listen with my own amp, the brand of the seller i don't know but it looked pretty old, i'll ask him.

A

Anonymous

I'ts getting better! thanx, but still missing a bit of drive, authority i think you call it.

Maybe because he was driving them with pre/power combo, which gave it more authority?

we are getting there...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I think it's the amp. Many people might like it, but I think it's a little dull sounding with no get up and go (what?! I'm entitled to my own personal opinion!).

This goes to prove my continuing point that the amp AND speaker pairing is THE most important in the system, and speakers should always be tried on the amplifier they're going to be used with.

If you like the speakers, I suspect some amplifier auditioning is on your agenda in the near future....

emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
I think it's the amp. Many people might like it, but I think it's a little dull sounding with no get up and go (what?! I'm entitled to my own personal opinion!).

This goes to prove my continuing point that the amp AND speaker pairing is THE most important in the system, and speakers should always be tried on the amplifier they're going to be used with.

If you like the speakers, I suspect some amplifier auditioning is on your agenda in the near future....

emotion-1.gif

Exactly, Frank, which is why PMC offer an amplifier/speaker combination.

I have linked to it above.

A

Anonymous

Hey David, thanx for your advise.

Can you tell me which amp's to listen to?

I'm thinking of listen to the Primare i30 amp and if founds will stretch the cdp 31 even.

A

Anonymous

Hanno,

PMC's engineers have made an amp to match the TB2.

What makes you think you can do better?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
hanno:I use the Chord in bi-wire, stands are Atacama and the are about 30 cm from back wall, no side walls.
Try them a little nearer to the wall as well as further away. Try three or four inches from the wall as a start point. Counter-intuitive suggestion maybe, but these speakers have mini 'transmission lines' that vent to the rear. (PMC's own DBi1 wall-brackets leave about 3 inches seperation which is why I mentioned 3 inches as a start point.)

Make sure there is nothing else (TV, hifi, fireplace, furniture etc.) in between the speakers, or further forward than the fronts of the speakers.

Ensure the tweeters are at around the same height as your ears when you are seated in your usual listening chair.

PMC recommend 2 metres - or more - distance between speakers. (Less than 2 metres will compromise the stereo imaging.) If there is 2 metres between the speakers, then sit about 3 metres away from them. Toe them in a little so that the imaginary triangle (formed by you and the speakers) has it's third point about half a metre behind your head.

Try listening with a bit of space between you and the wall behind you if possible.

Most of this advice is sourced from PMC themselves.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Solid stands are an absolute must - my old TB2s took a major step up in most areas when I replaced the old pair of Monitor Audio stands of indeterminate origin/vintage with a pair of Partington Super Dreadnoughts. Also experiment with positioning - I found that the further I could get them from the side walls the better the soundstaging was.

Have you got the original TB2 or the later TB2+? I think that you can still purchase the dealer-fitted upgrade - it was £250 when I got it about 2 years ago and that particularly helped the treble/upper-mid clarity.

A

Anonymous

Hi Taylor74,

Which amp is it, i followed the link you have given me, but i think it is about the TB2 with the build in amp, or i'm wrong?

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
yes, it's a link to an active speaker, don't know if it's a genuine active or passive with an amp bolted on the back.

doesn't seem much use to you, as you already have your speakers - unless it can be retro-fitted. and still might change nothing in your room.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
It's a passive with amp bolted on.

If you have the passive speakers you can purchase a pair of Bryston PowerPacks and bolt them on to the back.

PMC are the UK distributors for Bryston and themselves offer the PowerPack option for the passive TB2i on their website.

John Duncan

Taylor74:FrankHarveyHiFi:

emotion-1.gif

Exactly, Frank, which is why PMC offer an amplifier/speaker combination.

I have linked to it above.

Well no, you've linked to the active version, which would require him to sell the ones he just bought. Unless you're suggesting he buy a pair of those flying mole monoblocs and a preamplifier to feed it, which might not be domestically acceptable. I think the Primare would make a very good 'traditional' alternative.

A

Anonymous

The amplifier can be bough separately.

It is called DS-001.

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/product.php?mode=view&pid=208

Otherwise you could buy a pair of speakers from one place, and an amplifier from some other guys, and hope that it works together.

A

Anonymous

Taylor74:
The amplifier can be bough separately.

It is called DS-001.

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/product.php?mode=view&pid=208

Otherwise you could buy a pair of speakers from one place, and an amplifier from some other guys, and hope that it works together.

Which is what most of us do, poor deluded fools that we are!

Don't know what your budget is, but I believe Naim go well with pmc, which means Densen probably would, too.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Tarquinh:

Don't know what your budget is, but I believe Naim go well with pmc, which means Densen probably would, too.

Yes, I never heard what my TB2 (by then upgraded to '+') were capable of until I got my Naim amp. I know it's not exactly price-compatible which is why I then upgraded the speakers, but it suggests to me that if the OP wanted to look at a new amp then something like the Naim XS might be a good place to start.

Also - the '+' upgrade is well worthwhile.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts