PMC OB1i - Need Advice Quick!

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone. I'd appreciate some advice from anyone that has heard floorstanding PMC speakers. I have a chance to buy some mint condition PMC OB1i speakers at a very attractive price. I have owned DB1i's in the past and loved them, but of course they have limited bass. My question is about bass. Having substantial bass is very important to me. I'm not talking about dance music levels here, but just a nice full warm rich sound. I have been using Dynaudio speakers for the last couple years and I am used to their full bass sound. Given that I really like the Dyn sound, will the OB1i be a good fit for me? No way to audition before buying...

I used to own Spendor A6s and was disappointed by the bass.

Any comments appreciated!

A

Anonymous

Hi, I don't think you'll be dissapointed with OB1's. I have the GB1's(floor standing version based on the DB1) and the sound/bass from them is quite incredible given the size of the drive unit. This is a result of the advanced transmission line system they use. with the OB1 being bigger and having larger drive units, along with the same advanced transmission line can only mean even greater bass.

atinka1

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree 2.

Today i was listening music for 3 hours on FB1i-signature and OB1i and their low end-bass is

excellent,really great. My GB1i are more than excellent and just a smaller versions of those

really excellent speakers. OB1 and FB1 are almost the same in up to 30-40 m2, but i am satisfied

completely with GB1i and my room is 37m2.

Cheers

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If I remember rightly, you're using the Special Twenty Fives. Tough one. In today's money, the Twenty Fives would probably be a good £3.5/4k, and I think you'll find the mid and treble, while sounding different, won't really be that different as far as quality is concerned. Bass will be the main area of difference. Dynaudio bass tends to be a little dominant and sometimes overbearing, although I find their standmount speakers far better balanced than their floorstanders (with the exception of the Evidence range, of course :) ).

Personally, I think because of the Dyns you have, you won't find any benefit changing to the OB1i's, unless you preferred the PMC sound. The PMC's work extremely well on the end of Bryston amps though (I believe you use them),which may be of benefit, but then, I've not heard Special Twenty Fives on a Bryston, which should be pretty special :)

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the FH man. If you like the Dyns, and have such good ones, why change? So what if they're a bargain, you can use the money you save by not buying them on useful things, like beer.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys, thanks for the advice so far. Regarding my Dynaudio's. I sold them. They didn't work out for me. I won't go into a bunch of detail, but I've moved on. Now looking for something else. I know I'll like the PMCs mid and highs, I'm just worried the bass won't be enough. But I've never heard a floorstanding PMC, only the DB1is.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If you liked the DB1i's, then the OB1i's are similar but with deeper bass - and plenty more of it - but with a far better midrange. If you can get them for a price that you can easily move them on for, then it's well worth a shot.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Jax, Would be interesting to know why the Dyns didn't work out. Thought you loved Dyns.

Well, I do love the Dyn house sound. And I was very happy with the Contours I owned for about 2 years prior to the special 25s. However, the special 25 speaker is a very different animal to the other Dyns I've owned. It is much more lively and forward sounding. Even after 300 hours of break in time it was still just too forward in the mids. Also, my old Contours were great at low and high volume. The special 25s just didn't impress until you cranked them up. They are a great sounding speaker though. They just aren't a great all-arounder if you know what I mean...

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi ,

If you want good very deep low distortion bass then the OB1i 's would be ideal especially as you like what the smaller PMC 's do . They also provide proportionate bass at low listening levels unlike most speakers where the bass disappears when you turn them down .

The OB1i is the only speaker of that size that I have heard that can reproduce a kick drum in a lifelike way that you feel as well as hear !

You will need a good amp to get the best out of them but if you are using Bryston's or similar then you simply cannot go wrong with the OB1i 's , just buy them :) .

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Electro said:
Hi ,

If you want good very deep low distortion bass then the OB1i 's would be ideal especially as you like what the smaller PMC 's do . They also provide proportionate bass at low listening levels unlike most speakers where the bass disappears when you turn them down .

The OB1i is the only speaker of that size that I have heard that can reproduce a kick drum in a lifelike way that you feel as well as hear !

You will need a good amp to get the best out of them but if you are using Bryston's or similar then you simply cannot go wrong with the OB1i 's , just buy them :) .

Ok, trigger pulled. Should take a week to get them as they are being shipped to me. I think I got a great deal. I live in the USA and this is the cheapest I've ever seen them for sale used. Mint pair in Walnut. One thing that surprised me was the seller said that PMC does not double box them. Seems like they should.. Hopefully they make it to me ok...

My amp is a Bryston 4bsst2, preamp is also Bryston.

Will report back on this thread with pics once they arrive!!

Thanks to everyone! Anyone else with PMC experience, please post more comments. Greatly appreciated!

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
A good decision , you are in for a real treat :) , I think your Bryston 4bsst2 is the amp PMC used to develop the OB1i so it should be a perfect match .

It surprised me that my PB1i 's were not double boxed but they were just fine, the box is quite thick.

Look forward to your thoughts when you get them .

One thing that puzzles me about all this: I believe Jax got the Dyns at cut price, and sold them and buying PMCs at cut price. To me this sounds like false economy. Clearly these are all brands that are difficult to source in the US, so who's to say he'll like the PMCs? If they don't quite gel with the rest of his system it appears to me to be a "sonic tail chaser".

I'm not trying to tell Jax what to do but it seems a crazy way of buying (expensive) hi-fi products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
One thing that puzzles me about all this: I believe Jax got the Dyns at cut price, and sold them and buying PMCs at cut price. To me this sounds like false economy. Clearly these are all brands that are difficult to source in the US, so who's to say he'll like the PMCs? If they don't quite gel with the rest of his system it appears to me to be a "sonic tail chaser".

I'm not trying to tell Jax what to do but it seems a crazy way of buying (expensive) hi-fi products.

....It was for exactly this reason that I suggested going for the improved model of what JW already knew and liked (less risky when buying blind)......Though sometimes the fun is in the chase!

The bass produced by a TL speaker has a different quality to it as compared to a standard enclosure, and is not always to everyones' taste.

Now the deed is done, I hope all proves satisfactory.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

....It was for exactly this reason that I suggested going for the improved model of what JW already knew and liked (less risky when buying blind)......Though sometimes the fun is in the chase! The bass produced by a TL speaker has a different quality to it as compared to a standard enclosure, and is not always to everyones' taste. Now the deed is done, I hope all proves satisfactory.

Indeed. And if they're bought at a good price, there's little to be lost, apart from a bit of hassle.

A

Anonymous

OK, I think the OB1is are the right decision too, having heard Special 25s and thought the same. You previously stated BP6 was sufficient as you didn't need the balanaced I/Os, looks like you changed your mind - how does the BP26 compare? Your Apple TV is still converting 44.1 to 48, what about a Squeezebox Touch in there instead?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Neon K said:
OK, I think the OB1is are the right decision too, having heard Special 25s and thought the same. You previously stated BP6 was sufficient as you didn't need the balanaced I/Os, looks like you changed your mind - how does the BP26 compare? Your Apple TV is still converting 44.1 to 48, what about a Squeezebox Touch in there instead?

Well, I stand by my previous statement about the BP6. It's basically identical to the BP26. Also, I'm still using single ended interconnects, so it's pretty much a wash. I didn't upgrade to the BP26 directly. I was trying to "fix" the Special 25s to work with my system and room. I went through 6 other preamps not to mention cable changes. I tried like heck to make those Dyns work out. They really are awesome speakers, just not the all-arounders I need. So when I finally threw in the towel on them I no longer owned my BP6 having sold it to finance other gear. But it wasn't a waste of time, it taught me a lot about the preamp market and I now think the Bryston preamps are underrated. Not to mention the Bryston preamp I think just has great synergy with the Bryston amp (of course). So when I decided to go back to the Bryston preamp, I couldn't find a BP6 for a good price. But someone was selling a nearly new BP26 (guy that lives in my city by chance). So I went with the BP26.

How does the BP26 sound compared to the BP6, well, it's hard to say for sure since I've also got new speakers, but I suspect nearly identical sound...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts