PMC FB1i or B&W CM9 for surround setup?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking for a great system for music and movies.

Music is my priority and after auditioning many stereo speakers with my Roksan Kandy K2 amp (most recommended in this forum), I have narrowed it down to 2 options: PMC FB1i or B&W CM9. I have not been able to compare these 2 directly but I might be able to soon.

I intend to take the front line outs from the choosen AV-Receiver into the bypass inputs of my Roksan Kandy K2, which would act as a poweramp for the front 2 speakers leaving the volume control to the AV-Receiver. Therefore, the AV-Receiver would not be powering the front 2 speakers.

The remaining surround setup must sound reasonably balanced with the front 2 speakers and I can't really spend more than £3500 (excluding cables).

With the PMC FB1i's, I can not afford as much on the AV receiver and sub (the below prices include discounts).

PMC OPTION

FRONTS: PMC FB1i (£1943)
CENTRE: PMC DB1M-Ci (£463)
AV RECEIVER: Denon AVR 1910 (£450)
REARS: M&K K4 Tripole (£315), STANDS (£50)
SUBWOOFER: B&W ASW 608 (£300)

B&W OPTION
FRONTS: B&W CM9 (£1408)
CENTRE: B&W CMC (£312)
AV RECEIVER: Denon AVR 2310 (£800)
REARS: M&K K4 Tripole (£315), STANDS (£50)
SUBWOOFER: M&K SB8 (£585)

It looks like the B&W CM9 route would be a better balanced system.

I loved the sound of the CM9's with music but I remember the PMC FB1i's had a brighter sound that was very impressive with my music (rock, folk, acoustic guitar etc). However, I'm worried they would be tiring to listen to, but I haven't had a long enough audition to test that yet.

REAR SURROUNDS

I have been told the M&K K4 tripoles should be fantastic for the money and would integrate better than for example, a pair of B&W CM1's.

SUB
For the PMC Option, is there a better sub for £300 than the B&W ASW 608?
For the B&W Option, is there a better sub for around £600 than the M&K SB8?

I want to sort this out and start enjoying it asap...

Any help is much appreciated!

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
If music is your priority I would drop the sub in the PMC system and invest in a better amp. Good as the Denon is the FB1s can handle a lot more and any investment with the amp will be very apparent.

Likewise the rears could easily be downgraded at this stage to a small wharfedale/dali/a.n other small speaker and once again invested in the amp.

With regard to a tiring sound I would put it the ther way round with the B&W's instantly impressive but I am slightly bias as PMC really works for us. Cables will sort the top end - what did you listen to? A Chord Rumour 4 or above would be my choice.

A

Anonymous

TheHomeCinemaCentre: If music is your priority I would drop the sub in the PMC system and invest in a better amp. Good as the Denon is the FB1s can handle a lot more and any investment with the amp will be very apparent. The Roksan Kandy K2 will be powering the FB1i, the AV amp only as a pre amp.

TheHomeCinemaCentre: Likewise the rears could easily be downgraded at this stage to a small wharfedale/dali/a.n other small speaker and once again invested in the amp. I thought of using the Wharfdale 10.1's at £200'ish.

TheHomeCinemaCentre: With regard to a tiring sound I would put it the ther way round with the B&W's instantly impressive but I am slightly bias as PMC really works for us. Cables will sort the top end - what did you listen to? A Chord Rumour 4 or above would be my choice. Unfortunately, I don't know what cables were used. If I get another listen I will ask. Looks like I really need a comparitive audition between these two.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The pre-amp stage is one key area of improvement when you move up the scale. I would suggest you have a listen if you can. The PMCs really are fabulous and my advice is to get the best amp you can for them. When you get it just right I think you will be very impressed as to what they are capable of.

Diamond 10.0 or 10.1 will be fine - 2 sets of 10.1 if you can get away with it.

It is always best to check the cables in a demonstration - £300/m speaker cable is going to adjust the sound hugely and not reflect what you may buy. Likewise expensive interconnects and mains cables. If possible try to hear with cable that you are going to use or at least some at the same value.

A

Anonymous

I went the PMC route and this is what I have bought (not delivered yet):

FRONTS: PMC FB1i
CENTRE: PMC TB2M-Ci
AV RECEIVER: Denon AVR 2310
REARS: MA Radius 90HD with stands
SUBWOOFER: MA RSW12

PMC FB1i's & TB2M-Ci were far clearer than the B&W CM9/CMC2

Hope I haven't been too hasty with the Denon 2310, as spending a few hundred more might have better suited my speakers, but the Denon should keep me going until I upgrade to what ever the equivalent of the Arcam AVR600 is in a few years time.

MA Radius rears were cheaper than the M&K Tripoles (by £200), smaller and still sounded great. I plan to upgrade these in the future.

MA RSW12 is end of line, so for the money nothing I heard compares to it.

I didn't buy any cables, so that is my next search.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts