PMC Fb1i based system

stuart123

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
I have just bought my PMC speakers to build a new 2 channel system in a dedicated room. I am now after suggestions for a suitable pre/power and cd combination. I listen to my music fairly loud so I was thinking of the ATC amps and a Leema source. I have about 4.5k to spend including cables. Any ideas?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The ATC pre/power will be a good one, and will match well with the PMC's. The ATC's produce quite a smoth sound with some warmth, so if this is your bag, give them a try. If you like things a little more exciting, you could try the Audiolab 8200CDQ (CD with built in pre) with a couple of 8200MB monoblocks - or even four if you're feeling adventurous! The PMC's also work well with Naim, so you could give the 200/202 pre/power and the CD5i combo a spin.

stuart123

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
Thankyou both for the replys. Was thinking Naim but worried they will run out of oomph during long loud sessions. As for Bryston would love there kit but it's out of my budget!!.. I also hear them every year at Bristol and is mainly why I went with PMC. Weirdly on the demo the Cyrus stuff sounded awful.

A

Anonymous

Another recommendation here for the Audiolab pre/power combo

Heard this combo a while back with the PMC GB1i's & the FB1i's and it sounded fantastic. The source was an iPad via the MF DAC (I think) and a Rega Apollo & Saturn CDP. Soundstage was superb; great bass weight but with smiith & detailed midrange and highs

stuart123

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Guys,

Ill go and check the Audiolab kit out. I was thinking of adding the Rega DAC to it if my source does not have a digital in, I take it they dont rate the DAC in the Audiolab that much then??

stuart123

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Guys,

Ill go and check the Audiolab kit out. I was thinking of adding the Rega DAC to it if my source does not have a digital in, I take it they dont rate the DAC in the Audiolab that much then??

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I didn't recommend Bryston, as the cheapest pre/power would be £6k! You could look at the B60 integrated though, which would fall within budget.

My apologies, I honestly didn't realise Bryston kit was quite that expensive. :shifty:

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
stuart123 said:
Thankyou both for the replys. Was thinking Naim but worried they will run out of oomph during long loud sessions. As for Bryston would love there kit but it's out of my budget!!.. I also hear them every year at Bristol and is mainly why I went with PMC. Weirdly on the demo the Cyrus stuff sounded awful.

Don't pay any attention to the 'on paper' power, Naim amps have a very dynamic, fast and rythmic sound and if that's your thing then you'll find after experiencing it, that nothing else will do. If that sounds like your thing then definitely try to demo something from Naim and you can put it to the test re: how hard you can drive them.

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Dan Turner said:
Don't pay any attention to the 'on paper' power, Naim amps have a very dynamic, fast and rythmic sound and if that's your thing then you'll find after experiencing it, that nothing else will do.

Here here! :dance: :rockout: >) :cheers:

iceman16

stuart123 said:

Can't agree more with David.Your PMC's will be a good match with Naim.Im considering the OB1i upgrade in the near future.

stuart123

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
Spoke to a guy at PMC today who also rates Naim highly with thier speakers and the Rega DAC. Might have to get the source later and get a pre power combo with the outboard power supplies for now!!!

iceman16

stuart123 said:
Spoke to a guy at PMC today who also rates Naim highly with thier speakers and the Rega DAC. Might have to get the source later and get a pre power combo with the outboard power supplies for now!!!

If you can afford the naim's 202/200 combo with hicap and napsc you can't go wrong with your PMC's.With regards to the lower models(122x/150x)which I had before,the sound is a bit thin and edgy but very good in timing and detail IMHO.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum and I hope I can help the OP by saying my recommendation for an amp to complement his PMC FB1i speakers would be an Electrocompaniet ECI5 MK 11 .

Electrocompaniet amps are a perfect match for PMC speakers IMO , the EC1 5 MK11 integrated will provide all the power you will ever need and sound incredibly focused with an enormous sound stage with all the detail you could ever want and unbelievably deep powerful realistic sounding bass .

You could also try the the Electrocompaniet Prelude PC 1 Cd player and use the balanced connections from Cd player to amp .

Together they will be within your budget and leave you plenty for some Van Damme speaker cables and a good quality balanced interconnect .

The best thing would be to try for yourself , luckily Audio T branches stock Electrocompaniet and PMC so an audition should be quite easy and I don't think you will be disappointed !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts