PMC DB1i

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Diamond Joe:plastic penguin:

That was me that mentioned over-inflated price. The reason I said that is because at £770 it was a brilliant buy, now with a £200 price hike will put it beyond most peoples budget. At £900 there are others that are better value.

Just out of interest PP, what speakers do you think represent better value around £900?

Also, I haven't checked recently but the DB1is must be over £1000 now with the latest VAT rise, anyone seen a recent price?

MA GS10, Ruark Sabre III, (loathed to mention) ATC SCM11s from the stand mount family. Floorstanders, MA RS6, Totem Arro, Epos M22...

Let's not forget if the DB1s are around the grand mark, factor in high quality stands and you close to the TB2i price bracket. To me, that takes the gloss away slightly from the Dinky's.

A

Anonymous

and a grand well worth spending IMO, although they do need a good amount of current through them to sing sweetly hence the reason i partnered mine up with the naim xs.

there has been a few good pairs on e-bay recently and they have been going for between £550-£700

add some superdreads and atabites and you have a sweet set up for under a grand..
emotion-21.gif

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
The DB1i is a great speaker which i very nearly bought myself - however the Neat Motive 3 was just a touch better especially in the bass.

Both are worthy matches for Arcam.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I own the DB1is and I find them to be outstanding, including the bass. I just can't get used to a speaker that is bass light and the PMCs give just the right balance in the bass department for my taste. The DB1is really shine when in comes to natural timbre. No small speaker I've owned or auditioned sounds more like live instruments than the DB1i. There is something unique about this speaker that communicates more to the listener. It is an excellent design. They sound best at medium and loud volumes.

THESTIG08:

and a grand well worth spending IMO, although they do need a good amount of current through them to sing sweetly hence the reason i partnered mine up with the naim xs.

there has been a few good pairs on e-bay recently and they have been going for between £550-£700

add some superdreads and atabites and you have a sweet set up for under a grand..
emotion-21.gif

I agree - going ex-dem or s/hand route is fine if you know they are right for your system. Although I've heard them on my Arcam and loved them, I've yet to hear the Leema with them. The alternative is to pester a dealer and if they do sound the biz, one has to ask the question: Are you prepared to pay the premium when you know they are available cheaper elsewhere? It's about dealer loyalty IMHO. This is the problem others will have, especially when you can pick-up a pair of GS10s, albeit not quite as accumplished in some areas as the DBs, for between £500-£600.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
igglebert:I echo Grottyash's remarks. Maybe, just maybe if you shove silly amounts of current up them things are spot on.

Try the Spendor SA1. Superb.

In fact, as others have said before (JD), the AVI Neutrons are up there too but for £400. A less coloured and romantic sound but good. The Spens might suit your tastes more but are rather more expensive.

i heard these today whilst demoing the difference between using one cyrus 8 power in stereo and using 2 in mono. i did the hear the difference in the bass with the extra current and i thought it took away some of the weird noises the transmission line made. overall i was very impressed for what is a dinky little speaker although i did hear their floor standing brothers the week before and i was more impressed with them. i then heard some contour 1.4s being driven with the two 8 powers and was blown away with them. ( not that theres much comparison between the 2 in size/price)

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
db1s might go well with the leema, pp. i've heard the db1s on a few different bits of kit, in a few different rooms, and always found them a bit bright. no way i'd pay full whack for them though, i think i'd rather take a punt on some eb2s.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I would have bought the DB1is a couple of times in the last 2 years if i'd had the money. I have heard them with the Nait XS and Nait 5i and NaimUniti and they are made for each other.

With a larger room (and even more money) i'd be happy to have the GB1is too. (Superb with the NaimUniti.)

Get the DB1is 3.5 inches/8cms from the wall on solid stands (or their own custom PMC wall-brackets).

Too far from the wall and they are the same as any other good small standmount. Too close and they thicken up a bit in the bass and get a bit lead-footed.

3.5"/8cm is just right. (Something to do with the transmission line maybe?) The bass transforms.

They hate corners.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano:Who said anything about paying full whack?? There are deals to be had...

There should be plenty of deals around, or maybe used from the bay?

Nice to see you are putting a decent system together Matthew (I, like many have followed your hifi journey). I am sure they will sound a treat and can certainly vouch for their big brothers.

TRENDING THREADS