PMC DB1+ with Roksan/Nad

shaunj_uk

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Does anyone here have PMC DB1+ speakers? Looking to buy a set for my Roksan K2 amplifier and Nad C545BEE cd player, and just wondered what they are like with rock music?

My room size is 4m x 4m, I like a bit of bass but not overbearing, thats why I am looking at something smaller than the current Monitor Ausio S10 floorstanders that I have. Wouldnt want them to sound lost in the room though, I really want smaller speakers than the MA S!)'s but with a big enough sound.

Any advice would be great. :)

Thanks

Shaun

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I really liked the little PMC's, they are a great set of speakers, big enough for your small room. If you want deeper bass, you should add a small thight subwoofer.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I had the DB1i's (not +, I believe that was the previous model), and they are great with rock music - a lot of which is produced on PMC studio monitors. Really lively and their small size belies their ability to happily go loud with an amp such as the Roksan. A good match I would guess. I found they are best placed quite close to the rear wall to reinforce the transmission line bass - 15 - 20cm. Further out and you don't get the full thwack. Nothing else is lost by having them that close (they can after be wall-mounted with a dedicated bracket).

shaunj_uk said:
Hi,

Does anyone here have PMC DB1+ speakers? Looking to buy a set for my Roksan K2 amplifier and Nad C545BEE cd player, and just wondered what they are like with rock music?

My room size is 4m x 4m, I like a bit of bass but not overbearing, thats why I am looking at something smaller than the current Monitor Ausio S10 floorstanders that I have. Wouldnt want them to sound lost in the room though, I really want smaller speakers than the MA S!)'s but with a big enough sound.

Any advice would be great. :)

Thanks

Shaun

I've had the DB1is on home dem twice, once with my old Arcam and latterly with the Leema. Can't really find fault with their sonic abilities. Fantastic. Pretty much an all-rounder: wonderful dynamics, punch for cabinet size, scintillating detail retrieval.

The only slight caveat is placement: Not very difficult, but due to the transmission line opening is at the rear, they do need about 12" from the wall to perform at their best. Otherwise, fully recommended.

*Given my (fairly limited) experience with Roksan Kandy K2 I'd suggest they could be a cracking match.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
the db1+ is a bright little sucker if partnered wrong, i heard them with a cambridge audio cdp and musical fidelity amp and the treble was very prominent, i didn't like the sound at all. the db1i is better in this regard. worth a try at the right price so you can sell them without loss, if you don't like them.

John Duncan

I have DB1is and they're fantastic. My tastes have mellowed a bit in my old age and I listen to less rock than I used to, but when I do they handle it really well.

I've never heard the K2 though, so can't speak for them together. By the same token, PP is right - get positioning wrong with them (corners, generalising) and they can sound very bloated, so I'd strongly urge you to hear the pair together at home in your own room before parting with cash - most dealers worth their salt will let you do that.

Devondave

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
The DB1i's are true monitors and are good with all types of music.

Put them on good stands and please throw away the awful links and buy a small amounts of extra speaker cable and make jumpers from that.

Would recommend Chord Odyssey with them

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts