PMC built an 11.1.6 Dolby Atmos Music system worth €300,000 – and now I'm conflicted

ilant207

Apr 24, 2024
Visit site
Atmos is good but actually any well produced surround mix can be much better than stereo. I got my hands on any surround mix currently available out of my entire music collection. Most of it just puts stereo into shame. The detail is so much better, you can hear things that get lost in the background in stereo. The various instruments are reproduced much better as well, I think it's because a single speaker fails to reproduce many instruments all at once, while separating the instruments between different speakers is just easier and sounds better. I have two sounds systems at home, one is high quality stereo, the second is mid level surround 5.1. When I play stereo sources on both systems the high quality stereo system is by far much more detailed and enjoyable than the mid level surround system, no surprise there. When playing good surround mixes this reverses, the mid level surround system just surpasses the high quality stereo by far. More detail, more engaging, better sound reproduction, hugh surprise there. I encourage you do the same. Some examples to try in surround mix vs stereo mix:

Time - Dark side of the moon, Alan Parsons quad mix
Find the river - Automatic for the people
Living on a prayer - Slippery when wet
Money for nothing - Brothers in arms
Summer of 69 - Reckless

These are just a few examples out of the top of my head, there are many others.

Examples of not so impressive surround mixes:
GNR's Appetite for destruction entire album
Metallica - Metallica entire album

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts