PMC... are they that good?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

QuestForThe13thNote said:
The serial number is 1185 and my serial numbers on my previous twenty 23s were 2603 (sept 2013 bought), so since the speakers came out in 2011 I think from memory I'm guessing these are early production run ones. So I'd say £700 is very fair used,  not  least since fanthorpes were selling ones new at £1600 very recently in wood finishes. I'd have a guess that pmc are not shifting the graphite ones at the list price of £2170 so are making limited run wood versions to sell to shops, so they can sell them still as a cheaper pmc is no doubt appealing. Another shop was doing the same thing - lintone audio, and were selling wood finish 23s for £1500 last year. You should tell the seller this and see if the seller would let go for £700. I'm nearby if you want me to check them out and pay my fuel to get there. Hope this info helps. Cheers Simon 
It is thanks. Twenty 21 can be had for £699 second hand. Like I said, would be difficult to get such bargain.

I'm not averse to paying £700 for a pair of speakers but in fairness they are supposed to be my second system. Would rather have something cheaper or simply better value for money. Many less known older speakers sound superb and can be had for less.

Although knowing I could probably sell them on for £800+ I wouldn't mind having a go.

By the way the chap selling GB1s isn't really budging on the price so might have to give them a miss.

Saw some Epos M22 which I've heard are good match for Naim.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

What are your main / second systems out of interest ? Another one that punches well above its weight that I've really liked and it wasn't that far from my old pmc's is kudos x3's . Sat listening for an hour to these when I picked up a Cyrus upgrade once. There was one on eBay but a single speaker unfortunately.

Also triangle speakers (from France). In a bake off at mine someone brought over a 3 way triangle speaker. Can't remember what they were but He told me he paid very little money for them. They were, on first listen pretty decent. Didn't have the bass response ability of my pmc's though, one thing that pmc does so so well.

insider9

Mark Rose-Smith said:
Neat are meant to pair well with naim kit....a pair of neat iota...starting bid @£350 on the bay just now.with the option of the dedicated stands free if you can collect from Sheffield.desreve a wee listen I think.
Yes watching them at the minute. As I'm also in Sheffield. I've only heard of them but somehow prefer floorstanders.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

If you are looking at neat , how about neat iota alpha for a second system. They are fantastic speaker for the price, and a huge sound from the small box. I recommended those to my dad who doesn't like hi fi 'boxes' everywhere.

I'd also recommend Swedish Larsen speakers for that kind of design / thing too.

insider9

QuestForThe13thNote said:
What are your main / second systems out of interest ? Another one that punches well above its weight that I've really liked and it wasn't that far from my old pmc's is kudos x3's . Sat listening for an hour to these when I picked up a Cyrus upgrade once.  There was one on eBay but a single speaker unfortunately.

Also triangle speakers (from France). In a bake off at mine someone brought over a 3 way triangle speaker. Can't remember what they were but He told me he paid very little money for them. They were, on first listen pretty decent. Didn't have the bass response ability of my pmc's though, one thing that pmc does so so well. 
It's a DIY active project. Digital crossovers with room correction. Currently on hold as Minidsp is coming back from Hong Kong after I connected it to wrong power supply (24V instead of 5V whoops). Chaps from Minidsp were fine to have it fixed under warranty. Very professional service! Glad they didn't ask many questions :)

That's why really I started playing with amps and now thinking about passive speakers again.

The newest active conversion will be the Jamos. But it's meant as an ongoing project so would have a go at different ones after a while. Do require at least a 3 way design. Ideally 4 way that is a full range or nearly full range speaker.

Last conversion were Dali 104 with a REL Quake sub. Achieving in room +/- 1dB from 20Hz to 20kHz. Whether flat or in line with a house curve.

insider9

Would anyone fancy comparing their PMC speakers against some old Jamo speakers (1989) and EV speakers (circa 1968)?

Date to be confirmed but in the next 3 weeks and venue near Sheffield with easy access to motorway.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Anyone in Sussex who wants to hear a really good system at mine, lol, and bringing stuff along to try out, with me then reciprocating I'd be interested. But sorry Luke I'm some way from you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts