PMC and Proac

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Available for purchase used:

PMC FB1

Proac Studio 140

I suspect that if I wasn't happy with spendor that these brands would not be a good choice either (just guessing here). I can't audition them, but since they are used I could buy and then sell at minimal loss (shipping and paypal are the culprits).

Also available is a pair of Dynaudio Focus 220s. These are tempting. I've never heard them, but I've heard the little 110s and the other small Dyns. The only issue with these is driving them with 80 watts. Although after reading a bit, I suspect that their "hard to drive" reputation is over blown.

Thoughts?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
jaxwired:I suspect that if I wasn't happy with spendor that these brands would not be a good choice either (just guessing here). I can't audition them, but since they are used I could buy and then sell at minimal loss (shipping and paypal are the culprits). The only reason you'd be unhappy with PMC or Proac would be if the Spendors weren't smooth enough for you.

Also available is a pair of Dynaudio Focus 220s. These are tempting. I've never heard them, but I've heard the little 110s and the other small Dyns. The only issue with these is driving them with 80 watts. Although after reading a bit, I suspect that their "hard to drive" reputation is over blown.Personally, I think smaller Dynaudios can sound more pleasing than their floorstanders (Dynaudio generally produce a lot of bass), so don't buy floorstanding Dynaudios blindly based on the sound of their standmounts. The Dyn's are a 4ohm load, so they do require a step up from the norm to provide enough current.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
i think Jax has a warehouse with one of each speaker model in it so he can select what he wants for the week :)

i thought Spendor A6 was regarded as one of the very best of its price from what ive read so far - is this not the case ?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
chebby:

You seem to be changing your loudspeakers every month.

Guilty. But in fairness, I didn't get the RS6's as a final solution. I'm on a quest and a quest can take awhile.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
its fun though trying things

i always thought i was done when i got my Neat Motives but have suddenly a desire to try some floorstanders even though i always thought id never switch from standmounts

A

Anonymous

Studio 110 are very easy to drive. I have Naim Nait XS (60W) and they sound extraordinary, especially high frequencies. As for the bass, some would say that floorstanders (like Studio 130) would be better, but I like this controlled sound, at least until the moment I will replace them with ProAc Responce D18
emotion-2.gif

IJ

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
Being based in the US, have you had a chance to listen to the Usher Be-718's?

The Be tweeter has none of the harsness i have had problems with with other speakers and for a stand mount they have a pretty impressive bass.

Since changing to these, listening to music really became a pleasure rather than a chore

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
IJ:

Being based in the US, have you had a chance to listen to the Usher Be-718's?

The Be tweeter has none of the harsness i have had problems with with other speakers and for a stand mount they have a pretty impressive bass.

Since changing to these, listening to music really became a pleasure rather than a chore

Thanks for the tip. I'll investigate....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts