Pmc 23 vs Elac 407

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys.

I am upgrading from bookshelf to floorspeakers. I have been looking at Pmc 23 and elac 407. Any experience with these 2 speakers? They are to be driven by a primare i32. Please describe the sound of the above mentioned speakers. The sound i am looking for is a very detailed, fast, transparent, airy and smooth sound.

Thoughts?

Fast isn't a typical trait of a Floorstanding speaker....the sheer size and volume of the cabinet tends to give the opposite effect but my money would be on the pmc's but I am a bit biased.The 23's do share the same driver as my own 21's and they don't come much faster and transparent than that for the money.So go have a listen and see what you think.if the primare is a pretty smooth amp I think the 23's should pair well but if it's a bit on the bright side of neutral...you could have a problem.

Reactions: Clarkey_71

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks mark, i am leaning towards the pmc´s too. I have heard the elacs are very detailed but maybe a bit too analytical/clinical. I love details and separation, but it still has too be smooth. Maybe the pmc 23/primare could be that..

Reactions: Clarkey_71
Chr78 said:
Hi guys.

I am upgrading from bookshelf to floorspeakers. I have been looking at Pmc 23 and elac 407. Any experience with these 2 speakers? They are to be driven by a primare i32. Please describe the sound of the above mentioned speakers. The sound i am looking for is a very detailed, fast, transparent, airy and smooth sound.

Thoughts?

That seems an odd shortlist. Are these speakers you can get to audition? Elac dealers are quite rare so wondering where you got the idea of 407's from?

Perhaps I could throw in another suggestion, Quadral Chromium 8.

Joe0571

Jan 23, 2021
Visit site
Hi. I compared PCM 25 and Elac 407 hooked to a Cyrus Pre2 dac and X Power (i was afraid of being too bright as match). Elac 407 won in all tracks (rock, classic, pop music). Notwithstanding the price gap, they won quite by far. More airy, widest soundstage, extremely detailed and tight low bass. I admit, very analitical and merciless to poor recordings but so emotional when high frequencies fill the space around you. No room for softness and musicality where there is not. At a point, PCM seemed to me more graceful (piano, voices) but less rich on low bass and with a soundstage contained within the too speakers, not farther. Please consider I am a 50 y.o listener. Possibly, a younger listener could dislike speaker with plenty of details. By the way, I do not recommend this match (Cyrus + Elac) for listening to 90' music. Much music I loved at that time turned out to be very badly recorded, on this system. In the event you love this kind of music, you need something really mercifull

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys.

Thoughts?

I heard the ELAC with i32. They produced the sound what you are looking for. And for a floorstander, the 407 is quite fast. The Vela line is mor forgiving than the older version, but the older 407 still has that freshness I love. With the PMC I have no experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts