Plugging it in.....

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
o.k running in an amp takes time - what are the chances of my Rotel 1520 improving if I plugged it in and left it plugged in for a couple of weeks, not played through just plugged in. My old yamaha is an old seasoned performer with many hours under its belt and sounds better than I thought it did, compared to more recent designs.

But I'm still out of pocket and break down and cry each time my eye catches the Rotel in its box gathering dust in my cupboard (I could have bought some leather trousers with matching jacket and gloves for the money) So to hell with saving the earth I'll try this.

PS put it back on the other day took it off, sameday. I should have run the magnetic tone through it.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Well its in and I have to say it does not sound that bad.

I have configured the speakers different to how it was previously. Instead of putting the low end and top end on the A & B speaker channels to run as stereo I'm now running one speaker on each side. so the left speaker is biwired on speaker output A and the right channel is on speaker output B this appears to suit the amp more as the bass is now fuller complementing the lower midrange.

I'm also using the QED performance 2 which did tone down the top end anyway. Its a warmer sound than I was getting with the Chord Crimson 2 - less edgy. Will run this for another week. I will now take time to adjust to the sound. But in fairness it sounds closer to the Yamaha if not as dynamic in the frequencyrange from top to bottom.

I have yet to run some of my reference CDs currently playing an artist called Dwele and some Antony Hamilton. Just shareing.

matthewpiano

Wiring the speakers like that you aren't getting stereo at all. In effect you are sending the right channel information to the bass/mid drivers and the left channel information to the treble drivers (or vice versa). I'm surprised it doesn't sound awful.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Wiring the speakers like that you aren't getting stereo at all. In effect you are sending the right channel information to the bass/mid drivers and the left channel information to the treble drivers (or vice versa). I'm surprised it doesn't sound awful.

No, the right channel on both sides A or B drives one 'speaker' - only ones driving the mid/bass the other the treble

the left side on each out drives the other speaker. I ran my stereo imaging portion of the disc cleaner just after I ran the magnetic tone. its correct and is in stereo.

The main vocal is very centred between both boxes the actual image is pretty good actually.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
amcluesent said:
"Running in" doesn't achieve much in the kit, your hearing just adjusts to the differences

Ahhhhhhhh....yeah, I see what you did there, but in my expereince the 'sound' does change. But I will take time to adjust.

matthewpiano

Thompsonuxb said:
matthewpiano said:

No, the right channel on both sides A or B drives one 'speaker' - only ones driving the mid/bass the other the treble

the left side on each out drives the other speaker. I ran my stereo imaging portion of the disc cleaner just after I ran the magnetic tone. its correct and is in stereo.

The main vocal is very centred between both boxes the actual image is pretty good actually.

Ah right that sounds better. So how was it wired before?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Thompsonuxb said:
matthewpiano said:

Ah right that sounds better. So how was it wired before?

As standard, A running LF while the B ran the HF - compared the two configurations the current one sounds better, I know many will doubtthat, but it does to me, less I am fooling myself into believing this......or maybe its that magnetic tone working its oodo.... :rofl:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
So, to be clear, you've not listened to the amp for 2 weeks, you've changed the cable, you've changed the wiring, you've been playing funny tone CDs through it, and you're confidently telling us that there are differences that you can put down to burn in?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
BenLaw said:
So, to be clear, you've not listened to the amp for 2 weeks, you've changed the cable, you've changed the wiring, you've been playing funny tone CDs through it, and you're confidently telling us that there are differences that you can put down to burn in?

Lol..... Gimmi a chance on this one.... I'm still assessing the sound and I've yet to run my reference CDs through it, but initially at this time, the bass sounds fuller, I'll update - I'm also employing the assistance of my 15yr olds daughters ears....... to be continued.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
BenLaw said:

Lol..... Gimmi a chance on this one.... I'm still assessing the sound and I've yet to run my reference CDs through it, but initially at this time, the bass sounds fuller, I'll update - I'm also employing the assistance of my 15yr olds daughters ears....... to be continued.

But even if there are changes, you're not going to be able to say what it is down to. Thinking otherwise really would be fooling yourself!

TRENDING THREADS