PLINIUS-Dear Clare part-2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Clare. unfortunately due to the size of my room i have to cut my choice to some quality £1500-2300 standmounters instead.I listen to every type of music except Techno.My room size is 3.5-4.5.And i have listened to most of the kit except Plinius. Have to try them in different combinations.Now that you have a better idea of my requirements i,ll start again. If i choose a budget system it's going to be AVI,COPLAND 823,B&W 805s or WB ONE or PRO AC D TWO vs Primare i30,Copland 823,B&W 805s,PRO AC D TWO(which combi and speakers will sound best).Now if i choose to spend more then it'll be between £6000 Plinius kit,with above speakers or the £2300 Monitor Audio PL100 vs £5500 Leema kit with above speakers or the £2300 Monitor Audio pl-100 which combi and speakers will sound best.Now that you know i,m interested in the MA PL-100 not the £5000 PL-300 and there is just £500 difference between the Leema and Plinius and how would they fair individually, i mean CD vs CD /AMP vs AMP and also which one of these would give me a more neutral sound similar to AVI or a warmer sound like the Primare.Lastly i,m also interested in the £2500 Marantz SA-11S2 any idea how it sounds like? THANKS BYE.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]You need to get to a dealer sir.[/quote]

Absolutely.........only your own ears can narrow those choices down.......there are some seriously expensive pieces of kit in your list. In my experience, I fear that you might end up getting your beloved hi-fi home and feeling short-changed with the sound. Demo all combinations......even in your own home, you might be surprised. I took some "five star" kit into my own place and it was poor......to my ears anyway.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Sam Srivastava"]Demo all combinations......even in your own home, you might be surprised. I took some "five star" kit into my own place and it was poor......to my ears anyway.[/quote]

Couldn't agree with you more!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]You need to get to a dealer sir.[/quote]
I have been to a dealer and their called KJ WEST ONE.I think their the best hi-fi shop in London. You should try them.
Anyway i,v listened to most of the equipment already and many others,now off my list. But i want to know which combinations would match the best.I think I,m having most problem with the speakers as i want the perfect match. Thats why i
want Clare's advise as she has the most experience.
Let me give you a example AVI amp,Copland 823 cd,ATC 11 or B&W 805s are the perfect match to my ears.Another one would be Leema kit with the Wilson sq one.So my real question is will their £2300 Monitor audio pl-100 and any others from my list be a good match with the Leena kit /Plinius kit.And if i choose to go for the £2500 Marantz sa -11s2 cd ,do you know which amps/speakers a perfect match for Marantz products(no i don't want any Marantz amps).Geting all these products for a dem is impossible as my dealer does selected brands,so they will only recommend the best they stock and that leads to bias opinion(all dealers do that not just my dealer).So please Clare if you can help as it helps me shorten my list even further.
Thanks bye.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="burhan"]Hi Clare. unfortunately due to the size of my room i have to cut my choice to some quality £1500-2300 standmounters instead.I listen to every type of music except Techno.My room size is 3.5-4.5.And i have listened to most of the kit except Plinius. Have to try them in different combinations.Now that you have a better idea of my requirements i,ll start again. If i choose a budget system it's going to be AVI,COPLAND 823,B&W 805s or WB ONE or PRO AC D TWO vs Primare i30,Copland 823,B&W 805s,PRO AC D TWO(which combi and speakers will sound best).Now if i choose to spend more then it'll be between £6000 Plinius kit,with above speakers or the £2300 Monitor Audio PL100 vs £5500 Leema kit with above speakers or the £2300 Monitor Audio pl-100 which combi and speakers will sound best.Now that you know i,m interested in the MA PL-100 not the £5000 PL-300 and there is just £500 difference between the Leema and Plinius and how would they fair individually, i mean CD vs CD /AMP vs AMP and also which one of these would give me a more neutral sound similar to AVI or a warmer sound like the Primare.Lastly i,m also interested in the £2500 Marantz SA-11S2 any idea how it sounds like? THANKS BYE.[/quote]

Whoa! Give me time to digest this more thoroughly, and we'll get back to you....

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi Burhan,
Just about every piece of kit you've named is a great product. However, I think the aim should be to come up with a good system. The only way you'll do this is by having a listen and coming up with a combination you like. Don't just pick five star products randomly and expect to get a great sound. You probably won't.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Ketan Bharadia"]Hi Burhan,
Just about every piece of kit you've named is a great product. However, I think the aim should be to come up with a good system. The only way you'll do this is by having a listen and coming up with a combination you like. Don't just pick five star products randomly and expect to get a great sound. You probably won't.[/quote]
I have listened to and have a good Dealer KJ WESTONE.But unfortunately its impossible to have them get all the brands i mention as i,m looking for a perfectly matched system.Thats why i need Clare's advise.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="burhan"][quote user="Ketan Bharadia"]Hi Burhan,
Just about every piece of kit you've named is a great product. However, I think the aim should be to come up with a good system. The only way you'll do this is by having a listen and coming up with a combination you like. Don't just pick five star products randomly and expect to get a great sound. You probably won't.[/quote]
I have listened to and have a good Dealer KJ WESTONE.But unfortunately its impossible to have them get all the brands i mention as i,m looking for a perfectly matched system.Thats why i need Clare's advise.[/quote]

Even then it still probably boils down to personal preference. Try to arrange a home demo, possibly from various dealers, and see how the items perform in your own home.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="burhan"][quote user="Ketan Bharadia"]Hi Burhan,
I have listened to and have a good Dealer KJ WESTONE.But unfortunately its impossible to have them get all the brands i mention as i,m looking for a perfectly matched system.Thats why i need Clare's advise.[/quote]

Ketan is our technical editor, who's experienced all these products - i'd take his advice!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I remember went to a Hifi shop in midland (mention no name here) with a budget of £2K for an amp, 2 hours later I some how end up listening to £6K amp with a Finance contract agreement ready for me to sign my life away!....Hifi dealers are there to make (lots) of money for themself so do plenty of your own home work first and make sure buy something that you can demo at home in your room.

ps KJ weston does have a very good reputation.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]
I remember went to a Hifi shop in midland (mention no name here) with a budget of £2K for an amp, 2 hours later I some how end up listening to £6K amp with a Finance contract agreement ready for me to sign my life away!....Hifi dealers are there to make (lots) of money for themself so do plenty of your own home work first and make sure buy something that you can demo at home in your room.

ps KJ weston does have a very good reputation.
[/quote]

To be honest Thaiman, if I was a dealer and you came in I'd think it was Christmas too!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts