Plesse dont laugh when you see my speakers :D

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
IMG-20200814-WA0074.jpg

The new krypton speakers next to the pmc 20.26. They just drown everything else :D

IMG-20200327-WA0025.jpg

This was the original setup for 2 channel

IMG-20200327-WA0018.jpgIMG-20191119-WA0007.jpg

Above is my living room 5.1.4 atmos HT setup

2 channel :

Ps audio P1200 pure power regenerator
Sources : Esoteric K-01 sacd player + AMR dp-777 dac ( roon chain for streaming = uptone audio modified mac mini with teradak LPSU as roon core + metrum ambre roon end point)
Preamp : MFA classic passive preamp or T+A P1260R
Power amps : krell ksa 100 mk2 + TAD 1000 tube mono blocks + Nuprime sta-9 mono blocks + set 300b mono blocks
Speakers : pmc 20.26 + krypton
Isolation : Isoacoustics gaia3 under speakers, townshend seismic pods under CD player's and ohlebach xl air springs under tube amps.
Cables : too many :D ( and a lot of them turned out to be dipped in snake oil )

HT :

Marantz sr6011 + parasound halo integrated
Speakers : Qacoustics concept 40 + concept center + q7000lri surrounds + Yamaha iwc 250 inceiling speakers for atmos + small Qacoustics sub

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 108165

Good god newlash they're absolutely huge! You have had one hell of a hi-fi journey my friend :) I can still remember when you first joined the forum with your first tentative questions... look at you now o_O

So much respect for you sir (y)

Reactions: newlash09

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Good god newlash they're absolutely huge! You have had one hell of a hi-fi journey my friend :) I can still remember when you first joined the forum with your first tentative questions... look at you now o_O

So much respect for you sir (y)

Haha...thanks a ton for your kind words sir :)

I really missed being here all these years. And yes....I've only been living on bread and water for the last 5 years :D

But it certainly has been one learning road sir. Been through a few boxes, exotic snake oil cables, isolation products and power conditioners etc...but finally realized the sound I wanted. So down sizing now, and getting into vinyl finally. Which I've been wanting since 2012.

And I still remeber your gracious offer to take me to Ipswich to buy a Michelle gyrodec. Will remain forever obliged for your kindness sir :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Those things are absolutely bonkers, brilliantly bonkers! I'd be divorced if they turned up at the door. How do they sound and do you have any more detail on them? Cant find much online.

Haha....thanks sir :)

My wife only let them in, after I promised her that these were my last speakers ever, and I could be buried in them too, to save coffin costs :D

These are actually custom speakers built for me, by a speaker designer in Mumbai, who only does custom builds. I found my pmc speakers to be lean sounding and dry in the mid range, albeit very detailed, transparent ( no where near the ATC though) and with awesome bass.. And i wanted a larger emotinal connect on female vocals. I dont belong to the diana krall era...but iam head over heels on adele. And the choice of drivers etc...were selected as per my musical presentation requirements. He calls his makes kryptons. Takes a year to build one, but well worth the cost and the wait. These just spank every other speaker I've ever heard, right out of the door.

This gentleman actually visits his customers, listens to his speakers in the room. And then adjusts the crossovers and damping in the speakers to suit the clients tastes. Unfortunately due to covid, he couldn't visit me so far. As can be seen in the pic , the transmission line opening is only screwed in place and not closed. The idea being that he can manipulate the speed and depth of the bass to my taste, by adjusting the damping material inside and the port opening for the transmission line.

So I guess post covid, I can maybe look forward to more improvements.

My actual plan was to go active triamping. So these come with huge external crossovers, which I can always bypass and connect my amps to the drivers directly. This is sonething i will definitely be trying these vacations :) ( hence my collection of 4 pairs of mono block power amps)

The designers actual philosophy is a complete approach to the sound. So he builds his own SET 300B power amps, provides his own cabling. And designs his own speakers. And all 3 are supposed to be used in conjunction. I've received the speakers and cables so far. But Iam still waiting for him to ship the amps, which originally started as the cheap dared VB300 SET amp kits, but heavily modified by the said designer.

Last edited:

Tonestar1

My wife only let them in, after I promised her that these were my last speakers ever, and I could be buried in them too, to save coffin costs :D
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Hand built entirely to your preferences with matching crossovers and amp tuned to your room really is another level of dedication to this hobby. I'm sure they will sound absolutely phenomenal. Please let us know how it all sounds when they are finally completed. Hopefully with the vaccine in sight it shouldn't be too much of a wait.

D

Deleted member 108165

I have a question though - my understanding is that ideally tweeters should be roughly at ear height. Are you:

1) Standing to listen?
2) About eight feet tall so can sit?
3) Have a very tall chair?

Only pulling your leg, btw!
From what I can see in the images the tweeters appear to be angled downwards, thus firing towards a seated listening position.

majex45

Nov 22, 2020
Visit site
I love the photo taken in the dark. More lights than a Klingon Warbird!
I'd love to have a couple of hours to listen to that setup although I think I'd toe-in the speakers so they are facing me directly.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I have a question though - my understanding is that ideally tweeters should be roughly at ear height. Are you:

1) Standing to listen?
2) About eight feet tall so can sit?
3) Have a very tall chair?

Only pulling your leg, btw!

Haha..no worries sir :D

Most speakers are designed to be placed with the tweeter at ear level, as the off axis response in both the vertical and horizontal plane of the tweeter drops the most. In my speakers the balance between the drivers has been measured and setup in the crossover with the measuring microphone placed at 8 ft distance in the plane of the mid range driver. As this gentleman knows the size of the room and my seating distance, so despite the height of the speakers, the balance is spot on. There is a small taper in the baffle where the tweeter is mounted to achieve time alignment between the drivers. And even though iam very happy with the sound, the designer will still be visiting me post covid to measure my speakers again and tune as required, as owing to family compulsion I had to change the position of the speakers, so that might have actually changed the balance again, though I can't hear it with my deaf ears.

The mid range and tweeter are in their own individual sealed cabinets, and the bass driver is alone in the rear venting transmission line. So the balance and damping of each driver can be independently tuned.

Last edited:

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I wonder if when they are in situ properly, the sections with castors are removed? That would lower them somewhat.

Hello sir :)

Unfortunately I can't remove them from the stands, as they weigh 110 kgs each. And they presently reside in the corners in my daughters bedroom. And I promised the family that I would wheel them out of their way, whenever I join my ship for my sails.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Wow! They're the biggest speakers I've ever seen in a home setup!! Can you pass on the details of the designer in Mumbai please?

Sure sir :)

His name is Mr.Hari iyyer.

I've only ever spoken to him on the phone or via WhatsApp, his number is +91 98196 50800.

But I can ask him for his email id if you'd like that better :)

Reactions: bigboss

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Hand built entirely to your preferences with matching crossovers and amp tuned to your room really is another level of dedication to this hobby. I'm sure they will sound absolutely phenomenal. Please let us know how it all sounds when they are finally completed. Hopefully with the vaccine in sight it shouldn't be too much of a wait.

Thanks sir :)

Sure will do as soon as the amps are delivered.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I'd always thought that massive and, presumably, very expensive speakers, like these, were only bought by the very rich for bragging rights.

I'm impressed to see Newlash has actually bought them to listen too, not just so he can show them off to rich mates and boast about the cost.

Thanks sir :)

They ended up being expensive, but not very expensive. :D

And the total build costed less than the MRP of the pmc 20.26 in india. But the pmc just can't match them. Almost 30% of the component costs was due to import duties, which can be saved in the UK, as the drivers are available for very reasonable prices in the UK. For example the Mundford caps used in the external crossovers alone costed 480 pounds to ship to India. These are overheads that can be easily avoided in the UK. The rest of the cost was mainly for the designers time.

I will check and post the details of the drivers used shortly.

Edit : back with the drivers details as under mentioned :

Tweeters - SB Acoustics satori TW29BN-8 beryllium dome tweeter

Mid range - SB Acoustics satori MR16P-8 - 6.5 inch driver

Bass - Seas prestige A26RE4 - 10 inch driver ( This is a very old driver, originally used in the dynaco A-25 speakers in the mid 70's. And these were chosen against the latest gen drivers, as they favour a lossy line at the rear, and so work very well in transmission line bass enclosures )

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 108165

And i wanted a larger emotinal connect on female vocals. I dont belong to the diana krall era...but iam head over heels on adele.
If you are into female vocals have you ever tried Alison Moyet, Lara Fabian or Karen Carpenter? Plus so many excellent black American female singers too, eg, Randy Crawford, Gladys Knight, Donna Summer, Whitney Houston, etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts