please ... your opinion on the best amp. for ATC scm40

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Thank you dear benlaw ...

I also have the idea that despite scm40, being greedy for power, as I never have a room too large, the 120w's a33.2, will be enough for them to play well ...

is that right?

but here is what it is ... I do not pretend to have an amp that put them to play loud ... but an amp that put the play with great quality.
and also at low volume ...

please tell me ... what is your room dimensions?

thanks!

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi Lipe

I got my ATC SIA2-150 today and it is fantastic! My speakers are the SCM11's and they sound amazing. I cant reccomend it enough i bet the SCM40's would sound even better!

Good luck

Ed
smiley-laughing.gif

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi lipe,

Just had to get the tape measure out
smiley-wink.gif
My room is roughly 4.5m x 4m, I listen down the longer part, about 2.5m away from the speakers. For various sofa-related reasons
smiley-wink.gif
I listen to a lot of my music off-axis.

I'm like you, I listen to the majority of my music at low to moderate volumes. But occasionally, when I'm in the mood, I want to have the ability to crank it up. I'm not sure how helpful it is, but the Pre30 goes up to a maximum volume of 90 (I think) - the majority of my CD listening is at 12-20 (Spotify through the Sonos maybe 5 higher). The highest I've ever listened to a CD at is around 40, but I wouldn't be able to do that for very long.

So the Pre30 / A33.2 has a lot in reserve - which is good to know if you want to play loud, but IMO gives a lot of control at low volume.

IMO the beauty of the combination is that the sound does not change at lower / higher volume, you simply get less / more of what is on the CD.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
edplaysdrums42 said:
Hi Lipe

I got my ATC SIA2-150 today and it is fantastic! My speakers are the SCM11's and they sound amazing. I cant reccomend it enough i bet the SCM40's would sound even better!

Good luck

Ed
smiley-laughing.gif

Congratulations Ed
smiley-smile.gif
smiley-smile.gif
The 11s really are incredible, aren't they. Let us know how you get on with the new amp as you get used to it
smiley-smile.gif

lipe said:
dear rick (musicraft)

thanks for your attention ..

I have some preference for the scm40 scm19 instead because of the midle unit, and think that they are capable of reproducing music with greater dynamic.

I'm generally very satisfied with my current system, but try to make the leap to a better ...
is hard to define what I look for the new system, but I want a honest sound whit emotion.

able to get a smile on my face whenever I put her music ...

my maximum budget for the amplification and columns is + / - 7000 € max.

Greetings

Hi lipe

Thanks for your reply and your welcome.

Great :) As good as SCM19 monitors are however all things being equal SCM40's are in a different league altoghter. This is beacuse of the SCM40's greater cabinet size and the use vastly superior drive units (the original and legendary studio Soft Dome mid range unit and a dedicated 165mm bass driver). The studio Soft Dome is capable of producing stunning levels of performance :bigsmile:

Anyway for amplifiers

ATC's SIA2-150 MK2 or CA2/P1 - the SIA2-150 MK2 has a fuller sound whereas the CA2/P1 combination is more direct

Naim NAC 202/NAP 200/ HiCap/NAPSC - try and add the power supplies to the NAC 202 as soon as possible for optimum performance as the amps then offer even greater rhythm, timing, focus and even smoother

Chord Electronics CPM2650 - fast, clean, detailed and dynamic

Plinius Hautonga - massive amounts of drive with weight, attack, control with warmth, depth and insight

Btw, please also have a look at your improving source in due course.

I hope this helps.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

thanks for your suggestions to amplify rick, but please tell me one thing ... will be the 70w or 80w of nap200 enough to pull scm40 properly? Greetings

A

Anonymous

benlaw hello and thanks for having taken the trouble to measure your room.

Tell me your opinion please ... you think would be overkill scm40 a room like yours or with the same measures?

with best regards

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi lipe,

From what I've heard of the 40s I wouldn't say they'd be overkill in my room. There are various practical reasons why I don't have bigger speakers in my room, plus I have separate plans for my 11s in a new house. In fact, in a new house I may well have a smaller room for the 40s and be closer to them. IMO they work well at low volume and high so should be fine in the room you describe.

lipe said:
thanks for your suggestions to amplify rick, but please tell me one thing ... will be the 70w or 80w of nap200 enough to pull scm40 properly? Greetings

Hi lipe

Your welcome.

The NAP 200 is perfectly capable of powering/driving SCM40 monitors. What you've got to decide is (in addition to its tonal presentation) whether the NAP 200 is giving the kind of control which you prefer from your lowest to highest listening levels in your room.

As for properly? A NAP 250 will do a better job with SCM40 monitors then the NAP 200. But then again a NAP 300 does a better job then the NAP 250. A NAP 500 does a better job the a NAP 300. Three NAP 500's (tri-amping) SCM40's should do an even better job then an already excellent single NAP 500. So, within the Naim stable it could be said that it takes three NAP 500's to properly drive the SCM40's.

Btw, i hope you'll not mind me asking but where are you based? Will you be auditioning any of these amplifiers with SCM40's?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Three NAP 500's (tri-amping) SCM40's should do an even better job then an already excellent single NAP 500. So, within the Naim stable it could be said that it takes three NAP 500's to properly drive the SCM40's.

£49K's worth of power amps + matching pre-amp (£17K)? For £2.2K speakers in a small room?!!

That's £68K before any source upgrades - or the three (four?) Naim Fraims needed to house it all.

A

Anonymous

hello rick ...

I realized your point of view with the example of naim and where you wanted to reach ...

I'll try to listen to all the amplification I meet on my short list, and you all suggested, with scm40 ... so then I can decide.
some combos are very likely to be complicated to listen together with scm40 because here in Portugal is not the paradise of HIFI as there is in the UK.

the naim for me is a brand that I admire a lot and somehow fascinates me, but I do not appreciate the style of limiting upgarde and links all within the brand ...

please tell me rick ... Have you had the opportunity to listen to the Primare pre30/a33.2?

if so, what is your opinion? our friend, benlaw, speaks very well of the combination of the two brands ...

thanks

A

Anonymous

Why not save some money and go Active there are some very good pieces of kit out there either with or without built in Dac/pre amp for your sort of budget you could get a superb system and still save money!
Nick

A

Anonymous

Good morning everyone, does anyone ever heard scm40 with mono power rega exon3? will be on everything in general, a good pair for the speakers? Greetings

A

Anonymous

thanks david ...

and tell me please .. what preamp would you advise to work with exon3?

thanks

A

Anonymous

lipe I have just looked at the Audio Emotions website and they have both the Atc integrated and the Pre-power as well as some other amps that might be of service, it was last updated on the 28/4/11. So check out there second hand kit.
Nick

A

Anonymous

thanks nick21 ... is a very interesting site.

chebby ... I have read that pre cursa is the weakest link of the pair with the exons. and other pre-amps, takes the exon shine with more luster, because they are somewhat limited with the cursa ...

lipe said:
hello rick ...

I realized your point of view with the example of naim and where you wanted to reach ...

I'll try to listen to all the amplification I meet on my short list, and you all suggested, with scm40 ... so then I can decide.
some combos are very likely to be complicated to listen together with scm40 because here in Portugal is not the paradise of HIFI as there is in the UK.

the naim for me is a brand that I admire a lot and somehow fascinates me, but I do not appreciate the style of limiting upgarde and links all within the brand ...

please tell me rick ... Have you had the opportunity to listen to the Primare pre30/a33.2?

if so, what is your opinion? our friend, benlaw, speaks very well of the combination of the two brands ...

thanks

Hi lipe

Yes, i have and Ben and has fairly outlined the qualities of Primare amplifiers which also enables them to work well with ATC monitors.

Please do try and listen to the new Plinius Hautonga amplifier. The Hautonga has taken over from the highly regarded 9200. The improvements made over the 9200 have enabled the performance of the Hautonga to move a step closer to their mighty Hiato amplifier.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

thanks rick ... Yes, I will try to hear the Plinius!

Tell me just one more thing please ... you have any opinion formed of REGA with ATC?
if so, find the exon3 can do wonders with the ATC scm40?

with best regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts