Please help! - green-light my shopping list!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello one and all... this is a big one...

I am on the cusp of buying an all new home cinema setup. I would like to think I am not a total novice, due in no small part to this great forum and magazine! So I have done a fair amount of reading and research, and put together an intended shopping list, but would love someone or two to cast their eye over it and offer up anything that springs to mind!

So I intend to buy in the immediate future:

• TV --- Panasonic TH 42PZ70 or possibly await PZ80.
  • Hard Disk and DVD Recorder --- HXD970 (to also act as primary DVD player and digital tv tuner).
  • Receiver --- Onkyo TX-SR605 or possibly await 606.
  • Speakers --- unsure here, possibly KEF KHT1005 or Jamo similar.
  • QED hdmi cables all round, 1m and 3m as necessary, all into receiver, then one from there to TV.

Then in the next few months:

• Blu Ray machine --- probably PS3 with its full 1080p output for movies and gaming.
  • Apple TV.
  • Freeview HD tuner one day ???

Overall priorities:
  • Best possible sound and vision for current DVD collection and current standard def digital tv.
  • Future-proofing as much as possible, hence Onkyo for its hdmi 1.3 and ability to handle true HD audio.
  • Ease of use and setup for others in the household (I am often away for long periods).

Non-prorities:
  • Subscription live HD broadcasting such as Sky HD, happy to wait for the free stuff to arrive!

Right then...

Should I be considering other similarly priced speaker packages?

Am I covered for upscaling of DVDs and standard def digital tv with this plan?

I don't want to spend more, but could I be spending less anywhere?

Is there any way to be ready in advance for inevitable HD Freeview now? It would be a shame to have such a great set-up and then have to add a little set top box in a year or two... but not life or death.

Thank you for your patience - that felt like a long first post!

A

Anonymous

Oh and out of digital coax and digital optical, which is better for carrying audio - I'll be using hdmi as much as poss, but just in case...

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts