Please help - Connecting a Stereo amp to my Denon AVR

TheRooster

Jul 24, 2020
Visit site
Hi - Im sure this is quite a simple process and I am just making it complicated but I am hoping someone can offer me step by step advice..... I am wanting to connect a external Stereo Amp (Rokason k3) to my Denon AVR 6400H AVR, so that I have a better system for music while keeping surround capabilities.

I understand that I need to wire the new amp via the Pre-outs of my AVR and into the Vide (HT bypass) inputs of the stereo amp

Where I am very confused is how I assign this in the menu of the AVR. I have tested this with 2 external speakers and the result was that the 2 powered spears worked fine, but the L & R speakers still wired to the AVR were being powered at the same time!

So there must be a setting somewhere to 'shut down' the 2 channel amps in the AVR? but I cannot seem to find this anywhere, and there is no mention of it in the manual.

My worry is I unplug the speakers from the AVR and wire to the new amp but power is still being sent to the 2 channels within the AVR which will cause damage to the AVR.

I should add that my current set up is 5.1, so the AVR will only actually end up powering my Centre and Surround channels until I upgrade to atmos.

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer

TheRooster

Jul 24, 2020
Visit site
You need to read through your manual as I suspect there is button or combo of buttons on the remote that need to pressed to enter HT bypass mode, some are easier than others, and some are hard to live with.
which is why I never recommend it

here is a link your manual on line, it will download straight away if i have done it right

Owner's Manual - Denonmanuals.denon.com › AVRX6400H › download › AVRX...

Thanks so much for your reply. I did look through the manual but it seems to just suggest that you connect the RCA to the stereo amp via the pre outs of the RCA, then connect the Speakers cables to the stereo amp and off you go!

Im just concerned because when I have used the pre outs in the past the AVR still powers the speakers connected to the AVR. Perhaps the amp will recognise that there are no longer speakers connected the the terminals and then shut those amps down but I need to be sure of that before going ahead.

ProgDr

Jan 25, 2021
Visit site
The Denon amplifier will only supply current to the speaker outputs when it senses a load around 2ohms or greater. When nothing is connected they automatically shut down. If i remember rightly they use a TI TPA3111D1 for load detection and diagnostics.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts