Please Help!!!! Bitstream or PCM on PS3

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am not sure if im supposed to set my ps3 to bitstream or pcm its connected through hdmi cables not optical.

Its Currently set to pcm and on the onkyo reciver it just says pcm multich.

Then when i set to bistream the dts light comes on which is correct

regards

gar1975

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
what ps3 do you have, original or the new slim one?

the original one cannot send DTSMA via bitstream but it can send Dolby HD via bitstream

the slim one can send both via bitstream.

if you have the new one, choose bitstream, that way your amp will do the decoding.

i had one of the old ps3's and changed the setting to what sound was on the disc, dts: pcm, Dolby: bitstream

A

Anonymous

Mine is on PCM.

I have the Phat one as well, old PS3 do not bitstream

gar1975

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
PCM means that your PS3 will be doing the decoding, so leave it as that. but the old ps3 will bitstream dolby hd, but wont bitstream DTS MA/HD

with my old ps3 i would change it depending on what soundtrack i wanted to listen to, if it was dolby HD i would switch it to bitstream (so my amp does the decoding) and with DTS MA/HD i would set it to PCM. it just depends on wether you can be bothered to do that each time you play a blu ray

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Sorreltiger:Sorry, gar, but I'm sure you're not right. The old PS3 won't bitstream HD audio for Dolby True HD or DTS Master. They BOTH have to be decoded on board.

Correct, they BOTH need the PS3 doing decoding duties

gar1975

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
well Dolby hd would show up on my amp, and that dont happen unless my amp is doinging decoding.

check this site : http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&message.id=2985477

gar1975

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
i think the early ps3's couldnt but my limited edition ps3 could, coz it did my head in having to keep change it.... my advice is get a bluray, the ps3 was a good bluray player 3years ago

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
gar1975:
well Dolby hd would show up on my amp, and that dont happen unless my amp is doinging decoding.

check this site : http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&message.id=2985477

From that site (Which has the worst coloured text EVER by the way)
"Another important reminder is that the PS3 CANNOT! Bitstream dts-HD-MA-HRA or Dolby TrueHD"

gar1975

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
thats exactly why i posted the link to it, lots of info that is reg updated, im not overly anal about what colour text a site has as long as the info is correct. i was sent the link for that site hadn't had a chance to read it all, but was promised the info is correct. coz of course i couldnt be 100% sure that the info i used to use my ps3 by was correct. so hope the site helps people! all i can say, is that im glad i no longer have the ps3, great bluray player when they first came out, but picture & sound can be bettered now, & for less than the ps3

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
gar1975:thats exactly why i posted the link to it, lots of info that is reg updated, im not overly anal about what colour text a site has as long as the info is correct. i was sent the link for that site hadn't had a chance to read it all, but was promised the info is correct. coz of course i couldnt be 100% sure that the info i used to use my ps3 by was correct. so hope the site helps people! all i can say, is that im glad i no longer have the ps3, great bluray player when they first came out, but picture & sound can be bettered now, & for less than the ps3

It cant be regularly updated or else theyd have posted that PS3 slims can send info via bitstream

And clearly you bought the PS3 just for its bluray, it also plays games you know and for the money is still completely unbeatable in its abilities. Also, once fed with a nice clean mains supply the PS3 REALLY comes alive (I would presume yours wasnt)

gar1975

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
errr no, because it is quite clearly regarding the original ps3. google to find similar pages on the ps3 slim.

and no, i wouldnt attach a £100/£200 mains supply to something like the ps3. and yes i only used it as a bluray, all the other features i access via other means. other than gaming which i have no interest in at all, but i was only talking about the bluray performance.

anyway, i hope the info on the link i put up, helps those that still use the ps3 as a bluray player, there is lots of other info on there regarding the various sound/vidoe formats

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts