Please could I ask for advice on a Home Cinema system?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I think it is about time we replaced our Panasonic SA-PM08 which we have been very pleased with, but with our new 37" Panasonic LCD we feel that picture quality could be enhanced with a more up to date DVD player and probably a new surround sound system too. We would also be using the system for playing CD's also and MP3/iPod For price our first choice would be the Panasonic SC-PT850EB-K Home Theatre System. Looks good, and would match the LCD, and budget wise ideal but I can't find any reviews on it. Anyone got this, or know how good it is please. Well this is above our budget, but Christmas is coming, so I wondered if anyone could advise me on whether or not this bundle would be a good buy. For £399.95 you get a Denon DVD1740, Denon AVR1507, and Tannoy FX5.1 Silver Speakers. Silver is not the colour of choice, and as I say well above budget. The Sony DAV-IS10 seems to suit us down to the ground, but priced at £450 (cheapest I can find) it is also way way above budget. Is it worth waiting until we can afford (and justify!) the extra money. Thank you for any advice you can give.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We haven't been that enamoured of Panasonic's recent home cinema in a box systems, to be honest - though we haven't tested that particular model.

If you're looking for a bargain home cinema in a box, check out LG's HT902TB - really good value, and with a handy Mp3-player input. Can be had for under £250...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that Clare. I will try and check that out.

But for the same sort of price ie £249, I have found this combination at Richer Sounds. Samsung DVDHD1080, Samsung AVR620 and Yamaha NSP110 six speaker package.

Would this be more favourable compared to the LG HT902, as it is made up of separates.

Sorry to keep asking so many questions. Thank you

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Separates tend to offer better performance-per-pound - but only if they're good separates. As we haven't tested that combination, I can't tell if it'd beat the LG. Sorry!

A

Anonymous

Thank you Clare. This is more of a minefield than getting the TV. I suppose the same rules apply. Try before you buy!
The LG doesn't seem to be available to try out locally and I'm not sure if Richer Sounds would have the set up I mentioned on display.

If anyone can help, this is probably a very stupid question, but not knowing much about home cinema set ups, would it be possible to just buy a new DVD player and use it with the speakers from our old Panasonic SA-PM08, or would we need an amp in there somewhere. Thank you.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Could be tricky. If the amplification is in the subwoofer of your Panasonic system (as is the case with some cinema systems), there's an outside chance (if cabling etc pans out) it could work. However, if the power's in your system/player unit, you'd need a separate amp/receiver.

And to honest, the speaker element of any one-box set-up is usually the poorest part of the equation....

A

Anonymous

Thank you Clare.

Well it sounds like a total revamp is in order then, as the power is in the player unit!!

Outside our price range, but with patience (in order to save), it looks like the Richer Sounds package of a Denon DVD1740, Denon AVR1507, and Tannoy FX5.1 Silver Speakers for £399.95 could well be the way to go as a start. Unless anyone knows different!!

TRENDING THREADS