Please Advise on Selecting Monitor Audio GS 60

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I have tried out Rotel Power Amp RB 1080, Pre Amp RC 1070 and Marantz CD 5001 CD player with few speakers. I recently heard a pair of Monitor Audio GS 60 floor standing speakers. I have tried few speakers like Dali Icon 6, Monitor Audio RS 8, B & W 704, Quad, triangle etc. I am a novice in this field and it has been a dream to get a quality audio system. My room size is 15 feet X 25 feet. I have decided on Rotel Pwr and Pre amp due to the cost and performance factors though I found the Rotels a bit dull at low volumes. I have gone for Marantz CD player after its review and its cost. I can upgrade the CD player later. But I want to go for GS 60 as I found its sound the best when compared with other speakers. Can some one please advise me on using Monitor Audio, GS 60 with the above combination. Is the difference in cost worth it or not. Thanks.

Thelapillil

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I read somewhere that it is advisable to switch on the Amps 20 to 30 minutes before using them for warming up. Also how long the speaker cables should be or how much slack is advisable? Please advise.

Thelapillil

A

Anonymous

Hello,

Can somebody please advise me. Actually I need to make a choice of buying the GS 60 speakers. Thanks

Thelapillil

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
thelapillil:
Hello,

I read somewhere that it is advisable to switch on the Amps 20 to 30 minutes before using them for warming up. Also how long the speaker cables should be or how much slack is advisable? Please advise.

Thelapillil

Don't worry about warming your amp up, it will warm up naturally - it's not important. Speaker cable length is also not an issue. Just buy the lengths that you need. Give your self a couple of feet in slack but don't worry if you need odd lengths. It's a myth in my opinion that you need exact lengths - if you have one speaker 3m from your amp and another that is 2.3m away (or even5 or 6 metres), it won't matter.

The GS60s will be great.

A

Anonymous

Hello Gerrardasnails,

Thanks a ton for the advise. Actualy it a very big market with a variety of products to choose from. So a novice like me can a bit confused. Thankyou very much.

Thelapillil

A

Anonymous

I use MA GS60 at home with some american BAT pre/power amp combo. Previously I paired them with Exposure 3010 int/power and sound was a little bit harsh for my ears, but still very good. Now, with warmer components, it is even better. In my opinion, the gold series of MA is much less bright than silver and therefore better, I had both. These speakers benefit from bi-amping, I could easily hear the difference between one and two Exposures driving them. They are very sensitive and Exposures (100 wpc) drove them with ease, but high current BAT (150 wpc) provideed additional depth and weight to the sound.

So I recommend you to listen with your gear, if you can. Rotel should be OK. Your risk of buying these speakers is very small.

A

Anonymous

Hello Zelkop,

Thanks a lot for the tips. When one Biamps does the crossover gets bypassed? What is high current BAT? I have got cables for biwiring.Will biwiring make any difference? But for biamping wont I have to get one more Rotel 1080 Pwr Amp? Thanking you,

Thelapillil

A

Anonymous

BAT = Balanced Audio Technology, an American company that makes excellent audio gear, see www.balanced.com

I tried biwiring, no big improvement, but also no harm. Biamping makes much bigger difference with some speakers, MA one of them. Search biamping on this forum, it was discussed several times.

Yes, you will need one more R 1080 for biamping and you can get it later down the road if you feel the need. Biwire for now.

MA GS60 will be perfectly OK.

A

Anonymous

Hello zelkop,

Thanks a million for the tips. I think I will go with your advise. Biamping can be thought about in the future. So GS 60 will be my choice. Once again thankyou for your advise.

Thelapillil

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts