Playing ipod through HIFI AMP

borischelski

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Dear Sirs

The first post for a HIFI Luddite so please be gentle on me !

I have an elderly HIFI system inc a MarantzIntegrated Amplifier PM4200.It has no WIFI or bluetooth connection.

I have used a profigold high performance portable internet cable , connecting the red & white male part to the matching female parts at the rear of the amp in the aux/dvd section.

I have connected the single male part into the female part at the top of my ipod touch.For a while this played OK albeit with a loud noise when I attached / detached.A couple of months back I attached & my ipod went blank ie dead. I took to the apple store & they immediately replaced the ipod. I have tried attaching today for the first time and the new ipod immediately went blank again,meaning I will have to go back to the apple store with my ipod.

Two (probably stupid) questions if I may ?

Am I causing the problem to my ipod by connecting in this manner to my Amp ?

IF so how should I avoid repating the problem for a 3rd time ie how SHOULD I connect the ipod to the amp so I can play through my HIFI ?

Sorry for the very basic questions but any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Presumably this 'internet' cable has a 3.5mm jack plug at one end and the cable splits to two phono plugs (female) and you are connecting it to the headphone socket on the iPod?

The best way to connect is to get a proper iPod docking-station and slot the iPod into this. Some even come with remotes.

borischelski

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
my reference to "profigold high performance portable internet cable" was directly quoted from the writing along the side of the cable. I originally bought the item from Amazon which can still be found by googling the same words.

Perhaps I was not using the cable for the purpose intended & caused a sure of electricity into the ipod ? Maybe I should have used a more appropriate type of cable ?

borischelski

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
my reference to "profigold high performance portable internet cable" was directly quoted from the writing along the side of the cable. I originally bought the item from Amazon which can still be found by googling the same words.

Perhaps I was not using the cable for the purpose intended & caused a sure of electricity into the ipod ? Maybe I should have used a more appropriate type of cable ?

borischelski

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
You have described the cable perfectly. Whilst I have a (basic) ipod docking station I was hoping to be able to use my more superior hifi speakers.Is there a way to connect a docking station to my amo ?

borischelski said:
You have described the cable perfectly. Whilst I have a (basic) ipod docking station I was hoping to be able to use my more superior hifi speakers.Is there a way to connect a docking station to my amo ?

I am not t a liking about an iPod dock with speakers. Try googling Marantz is201, this connects via 2 cables to the back of your amp as you are doing at the moment but takes a digital signal from the long connector at the base of the iPod ( better sound quality than taking analogue signal from the headphone socket.)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
borischelski said:

Doesn't matter how many times you repeat it mate, the word is "interconnect", not "internet".

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-BTR--UK-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B00JJRLYNC/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1437936974&sr=1-9&keywords=bluetooth+receiver

something like this connected to your amp, will be a nice cheap, safe way to get music from your Touch.

borischelski

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
I originally tried to find the Marantz is201 but is sold out everywhere ex second hand on ebay.

Instead i have now gone ahead and ordered the Bluetooth audio box from amazon.

As a total novice I wanted to take the opportunity to thank you all of you guys your advice and assistance here - I massively appreciate your kind help !

cheers

Check out the arcam ir dock you'll find one on the well known auction site at a decent price now.you didn't mention if it's the older 30 pin or new lightning connection.this dock will connect via an interconnect cable to the amps auxiliary or other available line (not the tape loop ).this way gives better sound quality than any other .Then adding an external dac would be the next obvious upgrade path.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts