admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am about to replace my ancient wide-screen (CRT) TV with a new wall mounted 46" or 50"plasma TV, however I am in a quandary when I see the number of cables (DVD, Decoders, PS-3, sound etc) connected to the back of the existing TV that I would need to conceal in the wall unless I were to opt for the Pioneer KRP-500A Kuro which is a two box set up with only two cables (power & signal) connected to the TV the remainder connecting to the remote media box.

My question is are there any other options which would allow me to use a good quality (slim) single box plasma TV such as the Pioneer PDP-LX5090 and still minimise the number of cables connecting to the TV which would require to be hidden in the wall.

The KRP is very novel and scares me a bit so what would knowledgeable people recommend as the best solution to my problem on a budget of around £2500.

Best regards,

Rod

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi Rod

I think going for the KRP-500 just so you can get away with less cables is an expenive way around this, you would still need to conceal 1/2 cables from the screen anyway, however as superb as the 500 is you could save a fair bit of cash and go for the 5090 again seperb plasma, if you are going to buy either of these i personally think spending an afternoon/day chasing out the wall is a small price to pay for such a lovely bit of kit hanging on your wall, because after its done and sitting there in all its glory to will wonder what the fuss was about, if you feel its to much for you or you lack the confidence get a builder or freind that is good at DIY to do it for you. Remember though that any chasing done must be large enough to acomadate all cables needed, even if it is bigger than you need, once chased out fit a conduit [plastic] fix this and make sure all cables can be removed or fitted with ease, so if you need to upgrade or remove cables [if you move] you wont have to leave cables hanging out the wall that you can not take with you.

This all may sound daunting but really it is very straight forward, the only major problem you WILL encounter is the wife or partner if you have one, regarding the mess/dust but hey this can be hoovered, hope this eases your mind a little, and if you have any other concerns just fire away.

Andy

A

Anonymous

Hi Rod,

Do you have an AV receiver or are you planning to buy one any time soon? Most AV receivers nowadays include HDMI switching and often analogue to digital conversion (component, composite or s-video in > HDMI out) and scaling of SD video to HD resolutions. You can then run a single HDMI cable from the receiver to your TV.

Regards,

ÿ

Leeÿ

A

Anonymous

Hi Lee/Andy,

Thanks for the advice, I am not too concerned about chasing out the wall it is the size of channel required to accomodate all of the cables that is the real issue, however it sounds like an AV receiver might do the trick for reducing the cable count to two cables to hide; I have had a look and there is a choice of AV receiver or AV amp, what is the difference and are there any particular recommendations to complement the Pioneer PDP-LX5090.

Regards,

Rod.

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi Rod

Depending on your budget, if you go for the 5090 you could put the money saved from the 500 towards the LX-SC81 Amp review here http://whathifi.com/Review/Pioneer-SC-LX81/ this would be a fantastic partnership for your plasma, plus if you do not have a Blu-ray player the FD-51 http://whathifi.com/Review/Pioneer-BDP-51FD/ this would complete a superb system something that would last many years to come.I would not hang about though for the plasma as these models may become hard to find, but all i can say is you can buy with confidence, finally all thats left for me to say is you are one lucky so and so, this was the same system i was going to buy, but lost my job last week anyway if you have the funds buy and enjoy.

Andy

A

Anonymous

Andy,

Sorry to hear about your rotten luck and many thanks for taking the time to help me out with your expertise.

I usually try to get long probelm free life out of what I buy hence my ignorance of the current products and technology, however I have scrimped and sacrificed a lot to raise the money so I want to spend it wisely.

Thanks again for your help.

Best regards,

Rod.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts