Plasma TV - Anything for me to worry about?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

lol , no problem jim , dont mind me
emotion-2.gif

anyways , you said , and i quote

"All that's before the Panasonics age, and
the blacks get worse, and worse, and worse. Then the pk350 is miles
better on every count."

which is quite a sweeping statement , but of course its correct on all counts imo ...
emotion-19.gif

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:
lol , no problem jim , dont mind me
emotion-2.gif

anyways , you said , and i quote

"All that's before the Panasonics age, and the blacks get worse, and worse, and worse. Then the pk350 is miles better on every count."

which is quite a sweeping statement , but of course its correct on all counts imo ...
emotion-19.gif

It was a quote! :D (imagine a smiley there)

A

Anonymous

daveh75:maxflinn:daveh75:maxflinn:
roll up , roll up , read all about it , the £650 lg pk350 is miles better than any panasonic plasma tv on sale on every count
emotion-40.gif

steady on jim
emotion-5.gif

Though i doubt you'd have gave the comment a second glance, if any other manufacturer had been mentioned...
emotion-5.gif

just as you never seem overly concerned with posts in the tv section unless they are about the kuro ??
emotion-5.gif

or posts that i make there , as is now increasingly more evident
emotion-40.gif

edit... let me just stick in a wink as you have just done ... there we go .. parity ...
emotion-5.gif
emotion-5.gif

I'm not overly interested/concerned in any TV thread, Kuro or no Kuro tbh,as i'm not in the market for a TV.

The only reason TV threads grab my attention at all atm,is to see what Pro Panasonic propaganda will be posted next.

Oh,and i didn't add the
emotion-5.gif
- It was there in my initial post, it wasn't edited.

whatever , i just dont want you to think the only way you can enter into debate in a thread is off the back of something i have said , you consistently unsuccesfully try to catch me out daveh , carry on if you must , i sometimes find it mildly amusing if not very challenging ....

daveh75

maxflinn:whatever , i just dont want you to think the only way you can enter into debate in a thread is off the back of something i have said, Thanks for your concern...but dont flatter yourself.

you consistently unsuccesfully try to catch me out daveh , carry on if you mustNot trying to "catch you out" max- Just like to point out some of the info you sometimes miss/omit in your enthusiasm.

i sometimes find it mildly amusing if not very challenging ....Likewise max, and its not ment to be challenging.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant:AEJim:Google chrome doesn't let me insert smileysJust add [ and ] around regular smiley combo. For example ;) inside [] =
emotion-5.gif
emotion-2.gif

Cheers!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

50PK350 £569 at Dixons now with TV05 rebate code, this is 50% of the Panasonics G20 and 65% of the S20 if this matters to anyone

A

Anonymous

Oldboy

ÿ I know what you mean about the box on LCD tvs that it says you should keep it upright but how many times have you seen them stacked on their side in stores I know I have many times and to my understanding this does them no damage. But i do know that with plasmas when they first came out and cost something silly like 15 grand for a 50 inch (he he he funny how times change eh I saw an old copy of loaded the other day 5 years old i ÿthing they had a 250mb memory stick in there for 200 quid now you can buy and 8gb for less than 20 quid) Sorry off topic well a few years back when plasmas cost the earth a friend of mine had to deliver them to offices and things for conferences and he said they had to be upright if they were to go on their side then you run the risk of the plasma gas canister or something leaking or something along those lines!!!

ÿCan anyone back me up or am I speaking twaddle

btw my fave cds are murmur and new adventures in hifi but my fave song is find the river off automatic for the people wow what a song:)

Jamieÿ

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Snakey:
Oldboy

I know what you mean about the box on LCD tvs that it says you should keep it upright but how many times have you seen them stacked on their side in stores I know I have many times and to my understanding this does them no damage. But i do know that with plasmas when they first came out and cost something silly like 15 grand for a 50 inch (he he he funny how times change eh I saw an old copy of loaded the other day 5 years old i thing they had a 250mb memory stick in there for 200 quid now you can buy and 8gb for less than 20 quid) Sorry off topic well a few years back when plasmas cost the earth a friend of mine had to deliver them to offices and things for conferences and he said they had to be upright if they were to go on their side then you run the risk of the plasma gas canister or something leaking or something along those lines!!!

Can anyone back me up or am I speaking twaddle

btw my fave cds are murmur and new adventures in hifi but my fave song is find the river off automatic for the people wow what a song:)

Jamie

Nah, it's not the gasses - it's just down to the fact you have a large area of thin flat glass that is basically unsupported along it's weakest dimension when it's laying on it's front/back. The larger the screen the bigger the risk if you lay it flat, the risk is even greater in transit of course as hitting bumps in your car could be the breaking point... It didn't matter in the old days as CRT had 2" thick glass!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello all,

Well now all the fighting is out of the way lol i thought i would reply with my thoughts. First off thanks all for the entertaining read (that's not a sarcastic comment) and information, i am about to order the Panny 42g20 despite some of the comments made. My main concern is not the individual differences between the 2 tv's, black levels, IR etc but how it will suit me day to day. As i said before i will be using it alot for gaming and for this reason the Panny has won out despite the LG perhaps being a little more cinematic in it's picture presentation, i'm thinking the black levels here AEJim.
emotion-21.gif

From all that i have read and seen on here and various other unnamed sites i don't beleive i have anything to worry about by purchasing the G20 although of course there are exceptions to the rule that i am well aware of! I have no more concerns buying the g20 than i did when buying an lcd so with that in mind and with a full refund now in my account i am ordering it as soon as i finish this post. I will of course post my thoughts on the Panny 42G20 over the weekend on this thread just for my immediate thoughts.

One last question, does anyone know if i should refrain from extended gaming sessions for any length of time or can i just dive in? Thought someone mentioned it earlier in the thread but upon going back i can't seem to find it, doh.

Once again many thanks everyone for your input (especially AEJim
emotion-21.gif
) it's very much appreciated
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

oldboy i wouldnt worry , the g20s black levels and shadow detail , among other things are judged by most of the reviewers to have tested both sets to be better than the lg pk990 .. just do a bit of googling and the reviews are out there , enjoy your new tv
emotion-21.gif

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:oldboy i wouldnt worry , the g20s black levels and shadow detail , among other things are judged by most of the reviewers to have tested both sets to be better than the lg pk990 .. just do a bit of googling and the reviews are out there , enjoy your new tv
emotion-21.gif

Lol that's exactly what i did over the last few days....it's surprising how many reviews/forums there are on the subject but on the whole it was definately much more positive than negative. I have ordered the 42G20 for delivery tomorrow and i must say i can't wait to see the difference between plasma and lcd. Many thanks again for the input max
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Oldboy:
maxflinn:oldboy i wouldnt worry , the g20s black levels and shadow detail , among other things are judged by most of the reviewers to have tested both sets to be better than the lg pk990 .. just do a bit of googling and the reviews are out there , enjoy your new tv
emotion-21.gif

Lol that's exactly what i did over the last few days....it's surprising how many reviews/forums there are on the subject but on the whole it was definately much more positive than negative. I have ordered the 42G20 for delivery tomorrow and i must say i can't wait to see the difference between plasma and lcd. Many thanks again for the input max
emotion-21.gif

glad to have helped in some way
emotion-21.gif

one things for sure , youve certainly done your research this time , im confident your tv issues are now behind you
emotion-4.gif
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

hey oldboy.

good luck mate i hope the new tv is what you wanted all along:)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello everyone,

So my Panasonic TX-P42G20 plasma arrived on saturday morning (just in time to watch us get Mullered by the Germans!) and i thought i would post my thoughts on it after having a few days with it, so here goes!

First off i was a bit worried when i found it was being delivered via City Link after a few horror stories on here but it was stored correctly in the van vertically (i helped it off the van) and arrived in perfect condition although the remote had come free and was loose within the box. It had caused no damage though so no harm done, phew.

Out of the box, and first impressions are very good indeed. The back of the tv is made completely from metal which installs confidence even if it is required for a plasma tv, and all the connections are solid and well placed with none of the fear of pushing through to the screen like i had with my Sony lcd's. The most impressive thing is the build quality of the entire tv as it all feels solid and very well put together and again a clear step up from the sony lcd's i have had previously and even the stand has an air of quality about it, the styling i rather like also but that is a matter of taste as to most it may well appear a little bland.

So down to picture then and upon turning the tv on there was no trace of flicker, no image retention issues but a very slight hint of phosphor trails during fast panning shots which i expect to lessen over time. There is a bit of buzzing emitted from the tv when you are close to the screen and it's certainly noisier than an lcd but from where i sit i can hear no trace of it. The picture quality i have to say is just flawless across all sources and is a joy to watch with all the noise and picture issues i had with lcd's not present atall and SD is handled brilliantly with a lovely natural image, and with bluray the picture only improves further with stunning colours, rich detail, natural motion and lovely dark inky blacks that reveal every bit of detail. I'm truly impressed with the picture although initially plasma seemed a little duller compared to lcd but now my eyes have adjusted it seems alot more natural.

There are so many menus on this tv however and i've not calibrated beyond some minor tweaks as i have no idea where to start so i stuck with the issf pro and THX modes which delivered lovely images out of the box. The menus are a bit badly laid out with so many different options it's hard to remember where you saw a particular feature, that then prompts lots of frustrating scrolling through the various menus but a bit of familiarity with the menu's should solve that and as i said before they are very comprehensive.

Sound from the tv's speakers is as you would expect with them being no substitute for a home cinema setup but for just watching a bit of tv they are quite good but as ever there is no real bass in evidence but the sound is better than average imo. Had a quick look at the online content on the tv and you get a Skype beta, YouTube, Eurosport, Dailymotion, ace trax (movies on demand), news and weather etc which is all nicely laid out and quick to connect. As for gaming it's a joy to play with so much less lag and all games benefit from this, the game mode i'm not so sold on though as it introduces overblown colours and contrast but with any other setting the picture quality is brilliant making for tempting long sessions!

So to sum up before this goes on any longer lol i am exremely happy with the 42G20 and so glad i never bought another lcd, this tv is clearly a step up from the sony ex503 and has a more premium feel to it. I love the plasma screen and doubt i would ever go back to lcd now unless it was a premium set, so a big thank you to everyone who suggested it!
emotion-2.gif

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Congratulations on your TV purchase Oldboy
emotion-1.gif

I am glad to see you are happy with the result.

And great post by the way
emotion-21.gif

I agree with almost all your points, also that it is a step up from the Sony EX503, but this probably comes as no surprice for many
emotion-5.gif

With regard to setup this TV is gifted with a THX profile as you also mention. It is very accurate and no further calibration should actually be required. If you like a little tweaking you can take a look at the suggestions by Flatpanels HD.

A

Anonymous

thats a result oldboy , the g20 sure is a nice tv , i wish i had thx mode on my g10
emotion-6.gif
emotion-5.gif

anyway , enjoy it .. and welcome to the club
emotion-2.gif

thats the plasma owners club of course
emotion-1.gif

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:Oldboy: Had a quick look at the online content on the tv and you get a Skype beta, Not without the optional camera you don't. £130 I believe...

That deserves a bit of research then and i will look into it after the footie. tbh it's not a feature i would use as i don't know anyone with a skype phone and connection but it was strange to see it on the menu....tv phone calls i'm not sold on lol.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
TKratz:

Congratulations on your TV purchase Oldboy
emotion-1.gif

I am glad to see you are happy with the result.

And great post by the way
emotion-21.gif

I agree with almost all your points, also that it is a step up from the Sony EX503, but this probably comes as no surprice for many
emotion-5.gif

With regard to setup this TV is gifted with a THX profile as you also mention. It is very accurate and no further calibration should actually be required. If you like a little tweaking you can take a look at the suggestions by Flatpanels HD.

Many thanks TKratz
emotion-21.gif

Yes the THX setting is very good out of the box and i have no desire to deviate from the default settings for anything other than tv, this is only because it's normally used in brighter conditions as i tend to watch movies with the curtains closed or at night. I just have an urge to delve into those vast menus to see what they all do, whilst i am on the subject what did you mean by 'suggestions by Flatpanels HD?

Best regards Oldboy
emotion-1.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Oldboy:the_lhc:Oldboy: Had a quick look at the online content on the tv and you get a Skype beta, Not without the optional camera you don't. £130 I believe...
That deserves a bit of research then and i will look into it after the footie. tbh it's not a feature i would use as i don't know anyone with a skype phone and connection but it was strange to see it on the menu....tv phone calls i'm not sold on lol.

I think the story about the camera was on here as it happens.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Max,

As i said above the THX mode is very good straight out of the box and sure is one hell of a bonus as it saves all that setup nightmare but i have seen that even better results are available after proper calibration, the cost of which is all that is stopping me lol as i have no grasp of picture calibration and grey scales etc. Even when i looked into a home calibration solution you need to buy about £150 worth of equipment and have a basic grasp of the principles in order to acheive acceptable results, if i had it i think i would rather pay someone else lol
emotion-9.gif

The G20 is a lovely tv and i am happy to be a proud member of the plasma owners club
emotion-19.gif

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Oldboy:

Many thanks TKratz
emotion-21.gif

Yes the THX setting is very good out of the box and i have no desire to deviate from the default settings for anything other than tv, this is only because it's normally used in brighter conditions as i tend to watch movies with the curtains closed or at night. I just have an urge to delve into those vast menus to see what they all do, whilst i am on the subject what did you mean by 'suggestions by Flatpanels HD?

Best regards Oldboy
emotion-1.gif

Flatpanels HD is a flatscreen site which has also made a review of the G20 TV and made some suggestions on how to modify the settings to get the best results (without a professional calibration).
Links are against the house rules, so you need to search around for it.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
TKratz,

Many thanks i've looked that up and will give it a go tonight with my next movie session. However i am sure the UK G20 has different menus as some of the figures given don't appear like that. For example, say the contrast is quoted as 36, on my menu it is just a sliding scaler with no numerical units shown so how do i get the correct setting? Don't tell me that i have to count the increments from left to right
emotion-9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts