Plasma TV - Anything for me to worry about?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:
that doesnt look any more reflective than most plasmas ive seen , though i understand some of the latest ones are better ...

btw , wheres your a.e. surround speakers ??

Yeah, the picture doesn't do the reflection justice :D I might try and get some better pics of the screen and picture on a night when "er indoors" isn't doing homework on the sofa :)

RE: The speakers - They will be going in the "Man Room" with projector... I may put a stereo set in the living room but only been in a week and still only half unpacked, all my Hi-Fi is at the office :(

A

Anonymous

im curious to know what speaker setup you have , im assuming its pretty tasty given the likelyhood of a staff discount
emotion-5.gif

a link to them would be nice
emotion-21.gif

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Currently rocking an AVI Lab Series CD/Amp combo (CD has some higher spec internals, was a test rig of Ashley's) with AE2 Signatures for stereo, wired with Chord Anthem and Epic cables - probably be swapping the AE2's for Reference 1's when we're done making them. On the AV side am more conservative with an Aego P5 mk1 which is perfect for the 12'5" x 8'8" man room. :) I've had many systems over the years so settled on one that "does the job".

So nothing too extravagant really, I get to hear whatever I fancy all day at work and rarely get the chance to have a good listen to things at home - hoping to get more time and space in new house though - old one was a small coach house, though was detached and now I have a neighbour so will be even less able to "crank it" when I feel the urge... Bummer.

Actually, oddly enough, the office girls tend to have the bigger Hi-Fi systems - one has Aelite 5.1, two have AE1mkIII SE set-ups. Our head of R&D has a souped-up Arcam Alpha one with some special "Black Gate" caps (probably most analogue sounding CD player I've heard) and a Krell 300i amp - for speakers he uses whatever the current project is, as do I for final testing. Our warehouse manager has AE2 sigs as well, along with some old Pro amps and massive vinyl collection (used to be a roadie for Metallica, Rage against the Machine and the like!) There are a lot of Aego 2/M's dotted around everyone's homes too I believe!

A

Anonymous

hmmm , cant say im too familiar with most of that gear , ill do a bit of googling later , it sure sounds good though ...

btw , are you recruiting ? im not great at making speakers , but i could do you a nice brick paved courtyard , im not too dear , £45k per annum with a 90% staff discount and we can talk about bonuses
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Hey oldboy

I am sad to see you are having no luck with your current tv:( has it already gone back? Just wondered if you tried any software update? on a selfish point i was hoping that I can get that set to replace my sony that has problems we have spoke about on here before I am sure you will remember well when I get around to it that is!! Green Day at wembley stadium took up the weekend just gone:) Amazing show by the way 3 hrs of great loud music!

Regarding plasma tech I just wondered why you have not considered it before? Myself I am put off by the image retention and screen burn but as all say here that seems to have been improved over recent times, It does bug me when i see them in stores though that from viewing from an angle you get a double image of say text due to the glass in front of the panel plus for me the reflections in daylight conditions would drive me mad something that always annoyed me with CRT and now sony are going down that route with their higher end lcds!!!

Also with plasma another thing to consider is phosphor trails which most people cannot detect actually a very high number cannot I think 99% but as you and I have keen eyes maybe you would mate!!

LINK REMOVED - House Rules
http://www.**.co.uk/news/plasma-phosphor-trail-2007040133.htm

By the way mate I hope I am not being nosy if I ask what happened to you knee? Can that be blamed on Sony for all those wasted trips to retailers:)

Good luck mate with the knee and the tv.

Jamie.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Snakey:

Hey oldboy

I am sad to see you are having no luck with your current tv:( has it already gone back? Just wondered if you tried any software update? on a selfish point i was hoping that I can get that set to replace my sony that has problems we have spoke about on here before I am sure you will remember well when I get around to it that is!! Green Day at wembley stadium took up the weekend just gone:) Amazing show by the way 3 hrs of great loud music!

Regarding plasma tech I just wondered why you have not considered it before? Myself I am put off by the image retention and screen burn but as all say here that seems to have been improved over recent times, It does bug me when i see them in stores though that from viewing from an angle you get a double image of say text due to the glass in front of the panel plus for me the reflections in daylight conditions would drive me mad something that always annoyed me with CRT and now sony are going down that route with their higher end lcds!!!

Also with plasma another thing to consider is phosphor trails which most people cannot detect actually a very high number cannot I think 99% but as you and I have keen eyes maybe you would mate!! Google phosphor trails and have a look I have put a link on here not sure if it will come on this page though!!

EDITED BY MODS for House Rules

http://www.**.co.uk/news/plasma-phosphor-trail-2007040133.htm

By the way mate I hope I am not being nosy if I ask what happened to you knee? Can that be blamed on Sony for all those wasted trips to retailers:)

Good luck mate with the knee and the tv.

Jamie.

Hello Jamie,

Good to hear from you again mate, ok so i will bring you up to speed....yes i'm afraid the 40EX503 has been picked up and i can confirm software update done nothing to eliminate the problem, the screen would still go purple with white and black vertical lines and no picture. I have to say i've had enough of Sony and their seemingly non existent QC and the only way i would buy another tv from them would be at gunpoint with someone else paying lol.

I know you were thinking of getting this tv but i can't recommend one anymore i'm afraid as i have had 2 faulty tv's already and if they had them in stock i would have received a 3rd (exactly the same sketch as with my old W5500). The pictures the tv is capable of are excellent and the features are all great too but if it dosen't work what's the point? It's entirely possible that i've been (extremely) unlucky yet again but i think that is unlikely so if it was me i would be looking at another tv.

As for the plasma question i was always put off by the various horror stories of extreme IR and screen burn but after my experience with the last 6 lcd's i have had (thanks Sony!) i can't see how things can get any worse lol. That link won't work i'm afraid so i will have a google after this but i have found it's best not to look, if you google lcd problems you would be put off from buying an lcd and i presume it's the same for plasma. Curiosity will get the better of me of course, so i will google it!

After this thread my concerns over plasma have been addressed so i will be purchasing the Panasonic 42G20 asap unless i see a great deal on the LG! Reflections don't bother me as the EX503 suffers in a bright room anyway (something to bear in mind) and usually the curtains would need closing to watch anything other than normal telly.

Hmmm you lucky man getting Green Day tickets, not usually my cup of tea tbh as more of a Foo Fighters man but i reckon they would be excellent live, and 3hrs of great loud music sounds like a cracking night out to me, hope you had a good one. Don't worry, i don't think you are being nosy about the knee and i would dearly love to blame it on Sony and angle for some compensation lol but unfortunately i have only myself to blame....old knee injury i sustained from a badly mis-judged jump whilst skiing then aggrevated it by sliding straight into the goal post playing football and then a few months ago i slipped on my floor when running for the door to get a delivery and you guessed it flew across the room and landed knee first into the door frame at which point i think my knee said 'enough'! Now off my feet for a few months after reconstructive surgery with no tv whilst the world cup is on, not happy
emotion-9.gif

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
AEJim:1080p Suspect:nice set up there...which LG model is that? PK350 - cheapo 50", is very nice and not as wonky as the camera lens makes it look ;)

Have you have any issues with phosphor trails with your LG? I've seen a few vids of the problem but it seems no issues reported with newer plasmas (post 09). I can't say it worries me too much but is that inherent to the plasma tech and not a 'fault' with the tv?

Many thanks.

Nick.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Oldboy:
AEJim:1080p Suspect:nice set up there...which LG model is that? PK350 - cheapo 50", is very nice and not as wonky as the camera lens makes it look ;)

Have you have any issues with phosphor trails with your LG? I've seen a few vids of the problem but it seems no issues reported with newer plasmas (post 09). I can't say it worries me too much but is that inherent to the plasma tech and not a 'fault' with the tv?

Many thanks.

Nick.

Hi Nick,

Can't say I notice any real problems with them - the only thing I can notice is a slightly "dirty" effect on horizontal pans of large area's of flat-ish colour, e.g field, sky etc which is either mild IR or phosphor lag. I usually only see it when I look for it and would say it's lessened with use, I have less than 100 hours use on the screen (at a guess) and people say it takes anywhere from 150-400 hours for the LG's to fully burn in. Again I'm one of the more easily offended types with motion/judder/flickering etc and I can certainly live with it - no worse than other plasma's I've seen (LCD's have their own issues).

A

Anonymous

hey oldboy

EDITED BY MODS (AGAIN) for House Rules

that is thepart of the link missing they always mention phosphor trails in their reviews.

btw way you sound just as clumsy as me i also rate foo fighters never seen em live though sad to say! My fave band on cd and live is without a shadow of a doubt R.E.M. followed by Radiohead Green Day were amazing though:)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
AEJim:Oldboy:

Many thanks.

Nick.

Hi Nick,

Can't say I notice any real problems with them - the only thing I can notice is a slightly "dirty" effect on horizontal pans of large area's of flat-ish colour, e.g field, sky etc which is either mild IR or phosphor lag. I usually only see it when I look for it and would say it's lessened with use, I have less than 100 hours use on the screen (at a guess) and people say it takes anywhere from 150-400 hours for the LG's to fully burn in. Again I'm one of the more easily offended types with motion/judder/flickering etc and I can certainly live with it - no worse than other plasma's I've seen (LCD's have their own issues).

Many thanks yet again AEJim,

That 'dirty' effect on horizontal pans happened alot on all lcd's i have had including the 40EX503 that just went back so i'm used to the effect now lol. It would manifest itself in vertical "lines" of seemingly different contrast/brightness that could be easily seen during panning shots of sky, fields etc when you had a large area of one colour, is that the same effect?

I'm still going for the PannyG20 and nothing on here has put me off, just waiting for my refund on the EX503 then it's purchase time
emotion-21.gif

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Snakey:

hey oldboy

[removed by mods - House Rules]

that is thepart of the link missing they always mention phosphor trails in their reviews.

btw way you sound just as clumsy as me i also rate foo fighters never seen em live though sad to say! My fave band on cd and live is without a shadow of a doubt R.E.M. followed by Radiohead Green Day were amazing though:)

Thanks Snakey...will look that up shortly!

I looked at a few vids yesterday on youtube but they are all about a year old and the most recent is a PannyG10, despite looking really hard i can find no evidence that the 2010 models suffer badly from phosphor trails? Hope your link provides more light on the subject
emotion-21.gif

Seems we have a similar (some would say questionable lol) taste in music....i really rate Radiohead and think everyone should own at least one album and i like R.E.M. although lately they have been a bit hit and miss album wise. Not seen Foo Fighters live myself yet, tried many times to get tickets but they sell out so quickly it's just down to luck or paying alot extra through a ticket agency which i am always dubious of! The Foo Fighters live at wembley bluray is excellent btw.

A

Anonymous

hey oldboy

looks like i broke a few rules with my last post shame on me:)

i know what you mean about getting tickets for the foos (he he they should change their name to that) i have tried before without sucsess you really need to keep an eye out the misses is a huge Green Day fan that is how we were aware about that, I missed out on the kings of leon because they are popular right now (i have liked them since their 1st cd). i see where you are coming from with REM and their recent cds but i am as i said bias but if you have not checked out their last cd (accelerate) you should it is like they were in the mid 80's i love it. Know what you mean about radiohead i just love let down wow what a song good band to test out bass on speakers:) i remember glasto 2003 REM and Radiohead on same weekend awesome. Anyway enough about music.

Regarding plasma the way i see it is their really is only one choice and that is panasonic! The blacks always look so much better than the LG'S not sure about samsung they are making more LCDS by the looks of it. Couple of other things to consider is that plasma uses a lot more juice and also weigh a lot more than your previous sets! Do plasmas still have to be transported standing up and not laying flat? Reason i ask few weekends ago i saw at richer sounds in southampton some guy forcing a huge LG plasma into the back of his car laying glass down now that is madness had not box either box was too big for car:):):)

Just bought a sony 370 blu ray player for mum in law from amazon for £100 i hope it is a good player what do you think mate?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Snakey:

hey oldboy

looks like i broke a few rules with my last post shame on me:)

i know what you mean about getting tickets for the foos (he he they should change their name to that) i have tried before without sucsess you really need to keep an eye out the misses is a huge Green Day fan that is how we were aware about that, I missed out on the kings of leon because they are popular right now (i have liked them since their 1st cd). i see where you are coming from with REM and their recent cds but i am as i said bias but if you have not checked out their last cd (accelerate) you should it is like they were in the mid 80's i love it. Know what you mean about radiohead i just love let down wow what a song good band to test out bass on speakers:) i remember glasto 2003 REM and Radiohead on same weekend awesome. Anyway enough about music.

Regarding plasma the way i see it is their really is only one choice and that is panasonic! The blacks always look so much better than the LG'S not sure about samsung they are making more LCDS by the looks of it. Couple of other things to consider is that plasma uses a lot more juice and also weigh a lot more than your previous sets! Do plasmas still have to be transported standing up and not laying flat? Reason i ask few weekends ago i saw at richer sounds in southampton some guy forcing a huge LG plasma into the back of his car laying glass down now that is madness had not box either box was too big for car:):):)

Just bought a sony 370 blu ray player for mum in law from amazon for £100 i hope it is a good player what do you think mate?

LOL...yep think i messed up by quoting the link...so apologies to House Mods i won't be repeating my mistake.

Well i have Accelerate on CD and agree it is a return to form but Out of Time and Automatic for the People are still the standout albums for me and i still listen to both now. Ah the brilliant Kings of Leon, i also found them very early on from the first album and all they have done is get better with time so must admit i am a big fan. Now i have seen them live and i have to admit to it being absolutely brilliant, i got to see them a few years back before they got to play the big arenas and there was a real intimate feeling to the gig as they were so close to the audience (something i really miss when you go to the big arenas). If you can get tickets they are worth the effort!

Now, back to the actual topic lol, I'm glad you too say to go the Panasonic route as that is exactly what i have decided to buy. Got to admit that the LG AEJim pointed me towards really tempted me due to the sheer size of the screen but as i will be gaming on it quite alot i think the Panny justifies the extra cost, plus it has twin HD tuners which is a bonus! I'm not sure about if plasma need to be transported standing up but every LCD i have had delivered has been delivered to me standing up and the box states that it should be transported that way so i would presume the same applies to plasma? I'm getting it delivered anyway but i will look that up to make sure. I know the plasma will use more juice but i was really surprised that it only weighs 5kg more than my 40EX503 i just sent back.

As for the bluray i think that is a top purchase! I haven't seen it in action but i have a Sony s760 and i'm really happy with that so with the s370 being slightly better according to WHF i can't see how your mum in law will be anything other than happy with it. I'm waiting for the s770 before i decide if i am changing bluray player this year but at the mo a new amp is more important so i doubt i will be changing the bluray any time soon.

EDIT: Got an email regarding refund this morning, being processed so not long to wait for that plasma now!

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
A point about the black levels that people like to go on about (shamelessly "borrowed from another forum, props to "Arfster" for the info) -

"However, note raw black level figures only tell you what the screen is capable of with nothing else on screen - when bright stuff appears the blacks get worse. A major plus of the LG screens is that they maintain the blacks nicely.

Test of this is the ANSI contrast test pattern, which is a checkerboard of full white and full black squares. Panasonic G10/v10/g20/v20 have 0.008fl blacks, but on ANSI that goes to around 0.020. The pk350 is a little higher with nothing on screen, 0.013, but on an ANSI pattern the blacks only go up to 0.018 or so.

In other words, Panasonics (before the blacks start rising!) have slightly better blacks for very dark screens, eg credits, or maybe extremely dark shadow scenes in movies. Put anything more on screen, and the pk350 has the better blacks. Overall, I'd rather have the pk350 in terms of blacks, in particular because you don't see "floating blacks" in certain darker scenes.

All that's before the Panasonics age, and the blacks get worse, and worse, and worse. Then the pk350 is miles better on every count."

Just FYI.

A

Anonymous

AEJim:
A point about the black levels that people like to go on about (shamelessly "borrowed from another forum, props to "Arfster" for the info) -

"However, note raw black level figures only tell you what the screen is capable of with nothing else on screen - when bright stuff appears the blacks get worse. A major plus of the LG screens is that they maintain the blacks nicely.

Test of this is the ANSI contrast test pattern, which is a checkerboard of full white and full black squares. Panasonic G10/v10/g20/v20 have 0.008fl blacks, but on ANSI that goes to around 0.020. The pk350 is a little higher with nothing on screen, 0.013, but on an ANSI pattern the blacks only go up to 0.018 or so.

In other words, Panasonics (before the blacks start rising!) have slightly better blacks for very dark screens, eg credits, or maybe extremely dark shadow scenes in movies. Put anything more on screen, and the pk350 has the better blacks. Overall, I'd rather have the pk350 in terms of blacks, in particular because you don't see "floating blacks" in certain darker scenes.

All that's before the Panasonics age, and the blacks get worse, and worse, and worse. Then the pk350 is miles better on every count."

Just FYI.
emotion-3.gif

A

Anonymous

roll up , roll up , read all about it , the £650 lg pk350 is miles better than any panasonic plasma tv on sale on every count
emotion-40.gif

steady on jim
emotion-5.gif

daveh75

maxflinn:
roll up , roll up , read all about it , the £650 lg pk350 is miles better than any panasonic plasma tv on sale on every count
emotion-40.gif

steady on jim
emotion-5.gif

Though i doubt you'd have gave the comment a second glance, if any other manufacturer had been mentioned...
emotion-5.gif

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:
emotion-40.gif

steady on jim
emotion-5.gif

Don't shoot the messenger! I've made it clear I bought this screen because I think it's a total bargain and performance is not far from the very best (if not better in many cases when calibrated) - it's now £599 btw ;) . I'd rather people not think they HAVE to spend £1200 on a Panny to get a decent plasma picture, there are alternatives. I'm not saying it IS the best, it is not perfect but none are - Kuro's still closest but they're unavailalable/ridiculously expensive. I'm the sort who buys the best quality I can get - but always make sure I'm not paying over the odds, my previous screen was a 32" Panasonic LXD700 LCD which cost me £700 a couple of years back - I've got no bias on screens. (Speakers are another matter - there are definitely some big brands where I don't know what people are listening to... :D )

"Arfster"'s point is valid and overlooked when people look at the plain figures...

A

Anonymous

daveh75:maxflinn:
emotion-40.gif

steady on jim
emotion-5.gif

Though i doubt you'd have gave the comment a second glance, if any other manufacturer had been mentioned...
emotion-5.gif

just as you never seem overly concerned with posts in the tv section unless they are about the kuro ??
emotion-5.gif

or posts that i make there , as is now increasingly more evident
emotion-40.gif

edit... let me just stick in a wink as you have just done ... there we go .. parity ...
emotion-5.gif
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

AEJim:maxflinn:
emotion-40.gif

steady on jim
emotion-5.gif

Don't shoot the messenger! I've made it clear I bought this screen because I think it's a total bargain and performance is not far from the very best (if not better in many cases when calibrated) - it's now £599 btw ;) . I'd rather people not think they HAVE to spend £1200 on a Panny to get a decent plasma picture, there are alternatives. I'm not saying it IS the best, it is not perfect but none are - Kuro's still closest but they're unavailalable/ridiculously expensive. I'm the sort who buys the best quality I can get - but always make sure I'm not paying over the odds, my previous screen was a 32" Panasonic LXD700 LCD which cost me £700 a couple of years back - I've got no bias on screens. (Speakers are another matter - there are definitely some big brands where I don't know what people are listening to... :D )

"Arfster"'s point is valid and overlooked when people look at the plain figures...

fill your boots ..

actually , i give up , im going to join everyone else , lets face it , its true , i broke the story first anyway several months back that panas lose their black levels , although knowbody wanted to know , or were afraid to say what they thought , so ill just join the mice , panny plasmas are terrible , lcds are much much better in every department , and lgs , and everything else really , and everybody knows it , lets face it , its a fact isnt it ?? at least now im changing my position on panas , i shouldnt upset anyone anymore
emotion-2.gif
, we can all just be one happy family
emotion-19.gif

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:AEJim:maxflinn:
emotion-40.gif

steady on jim
emotion-5.gif

fill your boots ..

actually , i give up , im going to join everyone else , lets face it , its true , i broke the story first anyway several months back that panas lose their black levels , although knowbody wanted to know , or were afraid to say what they thought , so ill just join the mice , panny plasmas are terrible , lcds are much much better in every department , and lgs , and everything else really , and everybody knows it , lets face it , its a fact isnt it ?? at least now im changing my position on panas , i shouldnt upset anyone anymore
emotion-2.gif
, we can all just be one happy family
emotion-19.gif

Now now, don't go off in a hissy - Panasonic Plasma's are very good indeed, I never said they weren't. I have no opinion on the black level rise as I don't own a G/V10/20 etc so can't prove or disprove it. The main thing I wanted to get across from the quote I made (from a guy with meter's etc to test) was that even though the Panny has a better black level on a full black screen it's not the full story and it actually rises above the more consistent LG when there's more going on in a scene - I presume due to less processing in the LG as some of the higher spec LG's have higher black levels than the basic ones too.

daveh75

maxflinn:daveh75:maxflinn:
emotion-40.gif

steady on jim
emotion-5.gif

emotion-5.gif

just as you never seem overly concerned with posts in the tv section unless they are about the kuro ??
emotion-5.gif

or posts that i make there , as is now increasingly more evident
emotion-40.gif

edit... let me just stick in a wink as you have just done ... there we go .. parity ...
emotion-5.gif
emotion-5.gif

I'm not overly interested/concerned in any TV thread, Kuro or no Kuro tbh,as i'm not in the market for a TV.

The only reason TV threads grab my attention at all atm,is to see what Pro Panasonic propaganda will be posted next.

Oh,and i didn't add the
emotion-5.gif
- It was there in my initial post, it wasn't edited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts