Plasma TV - Anything for me to worry about?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Sorry Oldboy, can't help you with that

I would assume, that the only difference between the European version and the British version is the tuners, but I can't say this for sure.

I haven't fiddled around with the settings of the G20 and don't know how that works. But in general panasonic is unfortunately not known for their user friendlyness of the calibration settings. On my Panasonic 42PZ800 you actually needs to do exactly what you describe - count the increments you make, as there are no numbers shown!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
TKratz:

Sorry Oldboy, can't help you with that

I would assume, that the only difference between the European version and the British version is the tuners, but I can't say this for sure.

I haven't fiddled around with the settings of the G20 and don't know how that works. But in general panasonic is unfortunately not known for their user friendlyness of the calibration settings. On my Panasonic 42PZ800 you actually needs to do exactly what you describe - count the increments you make, as there are no numbers shown!

Yep i can confirm that there are no numbers given at the side for ANY menu, contrast and brightness etc all have just a sliding scale and that dosen't even go up in the correct increments as when you count up to half way it comes out at about 30 clicks so those picture suggestions make no sense atall unfortunately so i will use the THX calibration disc today and may invest in a bluray calibration disc today
emotion-21.gif

PINK MOON

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I bought the 42g20 a couple of weeks back,, i use sky HD, but i find reds are a major problem for this TV, they judder and shimmer as the cross the screen, has anyone else had this problem? will it calm down through time, im just not as happy as i feel i should be with this tv,,,,

cheers

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Pink Moon,

The effect you describe is phosphor trailing (google it!) and is a problem with plasma tech. I get it to some degree but not as bad as you describe, it's only slightly noticeable with very high motion on my set but it is supposed to calm down after around 200hrs or so viewing.

I can think of only a few reasons you are having this problem, it could be that your eyes are sensitive to the trailing and many people have reported this as an issue with plasma's, you could of course have a faulty tv with excessive trailing? My advice would be that if you aren't happy then contact your retailer about the problem, if you are sensitive to the trailing then switch to lcd unless you can afford/find a Kuro lol.

I must say i'm very happy with the g20 after having 6 faulty Sony lcd's and would never switch back to lcd, don't forget that lcd has problems too and i can say that from bitter experience. I had problems with cloudy backlighting, permanantly on pixels and dead pixels, picture cut out and connections. My g20 has had none of these problems and has a superior picture imo.

A

Anonymous

hey oldboy

so glad you are happy with your new set i have seen it in stores and it looks like a great set i am also tempted now hehehe after my holidays i and all the work i am doing at home i will be talking to sony centre maybe i can force them to knock me up a snazzy plasma:):)

I see what you mean about the adjustments having no number so you know where you stand that is strange? Do you at least have the option to save different settings per input? I have seen a review of this set well I think it is! On a german site the model number is
TX-P42GW20
that set shows numbers next to the sliders for adjustments!

will try to post the link here for the review

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=da&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2010/panasonic_tx_p42gw20.shtml

jamie.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Snakey:

hey oldboy

so glad you are happy with your new set i have seen it in stores and it looks like a great set i am also tempted now hehehe after my holidays i and all the work i am doing at home i will be talking to sony centre maybe i can force them to knock me up a snazzy plasma:):)

I see what you mean about the adjustments having no number so you know where you stand that is strange? Do you at least have the option to save different settings per input? I have seen a review of this set well I think it is! On a german site the model number is

TX-P42GW20

that set shows numbers next to the sliders for adjustments!

will try to post the link here for the review

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=da&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2010/panasonic_tx_p42gw20.shtml

jamie.

Many thanks jamie for the link!

Yes it seems that the US version of the tv also has numbers to the side of the menu's so why does the UK one not have them? FYI the W in the model number refers to the country, the uk version having a B to denote it comes with a 3 pin plug i think. Typical Panasonic short changing the UK consumer, how very dare they! Ha ha, and it makes calibration tricky as you can't just pluck the settings off the net and away you go.

The good news is that's my only gripe with the tv and compared to the last few that is clear progress LOL. I don't like your chances of convincing Sony to knock you up a plasma though....they don't make them anymore (infact i'm not sure if they ever made one atall) but if you don't ask you don't get so maybe it's not such a bad idea ha ha.

Good to hear from you mate and if you bought one you wouldn't be disappointed
emotion-21.gif
now if only i could have a holiday too....
emotion-11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts